Community discussions

MikroTik App

worm6666
just joined
Topic Author

Quick config guide for new member of Mikrotik ?

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi.

Is some general guide available for new Mikrotik users how to setup new instance in common enviroment like small office ?

Simple specification:
- what to buy to have good background for 100 devices office ? (50 PCs, 40 mobile phones, 5 printers, some guests coming in and out frequently) with reserve for next 100 devices expand ?
- 1 WAN connection (50/50 Mbps for example)
- 3 LAN connections (LAN, WiFi LAN, Guest LAN) - LANs build in tree structure on nonmanaged switches
- basic rules creation (internet access for devices (NAT?), SSH to mikrotik [remote also],...)
- best configuration GUI (probably latest Winbox)
- need of traffing ballancing, shaping - based on MAC (no passaran without be registered except Guest LAN with strict low speed connection)

Thank You.

ochaconm
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Quick config guide for new member of Mikrotik ?

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:15 pm

If you are at the very beginning level of Mikrotik technologies, I would suggest you read the following article in the Mikrotik Wiki:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... figuration

However, since the question (or questions) is so wide, I would also suggest creating a lab, or simulate, your environment and ask something more specific.

There are multiple tutorials out there about how to simulate a network using GNS3 and Mikrotik RouterOS. E.g:
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 676829.pdf (in Spanish)

Greetings.

worm6666
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:11 pm

thank You.

p.s. There is some problem with the latest RC image (iso, vdi,...) - in virtualbox they give "missing operating system" - can You report it to the right person ? thank You.

the "current" image boots ok

tholderbaum

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi.

Is some general guide available for new Mikrotik users how to setup new instance in common enviroment like small office ?

Simple specification:
- what to buy to have good background for 100 devices office ? (50 PCs, 40 mobile phones, 5 printers, some guests coming in and out frequently) with reserve for next 100 devices expand ?
- 1 WAN connection (50/50 Mbps for example)
- 3 LAN connections (LAN, WiFi LAN, Guest LAN) - LANs build in tree structure on nonmanaged switches
- basic rules creation (internet access for devices (NAT?), SSH to mikrotik [remote also],...)
- best configuration GUI (probably latest Winbox)
- need of traffing ballancing, shaping - based on MAC (no passaran without be registered except Guest LAN with strict low speed connection)

Thank You.
For your purposes, The RB2011 would be ok, but for best performance, I would step up to the CCR1009-7G-1C-PC. The CCR just blows the doors off of the RB2011. I have both, and any time I get about 25 clients, I upgrade to the CCR.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Also look at RB3011, way more powerful than 2011 and not much more prize wise