Community discussions

MikroTik App

SomuNetAdmin
just joined
Topic Author

Help a guy with no networking experience setup a network!

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi, I live in a "hostel" in India, and our internet has been down for 3 days.. since there was no sign of improvement, I decided to get involved and found out that someone had tried to reset the Mikrotik RB1100AHx2 router and failed. The router's login page wouldn't even open. That was at 4:00PM today. At about 9PM I'd somehow managed to at the very least start a wired internet connection after flashing a new RouterOS (6.41.1) onto the RouterBoard and then performing a basic config using QuickSet . However, since I'm a SysAdmin, and not really a network admin, I have no idea how to setup the wireless network. Could some of you point in the right direction?

Here's my requirements:
1. There's a primary Mikrotik RB1100AHx2 router that is configured to use a Static IP provided by the ISP: 202.38.x.x --> (IP1)
2. There are about 50 different routers spread throughout the property that have been pre-configured somehow to provide a login page. The probably act as Access Points. Here's where things get hairy, our previous netAdmin quit and basically left 0 doccumentation, and that we have no clue how he set it all up. And by "we" i mean me :( - so I don't even know how the system's been setup!
3. The desired functionality is this: a user connects to the AP with a SSID and a password, that is same for all the APs throughout the building. The APs don't have their own login page, and thus we have a set IP that we connect through! Let's call it : 90.0.x.x --> (IP2).
4. The users are taken to a login page, where they enter a userid and passwd and that lets them connect to the internet without any further effort. In fact, until the user logs in, no internet access is granted, and the user gets redirected to IP2 where the login page is hosted.
5. I have already performed the quick set config and set the IP for the LAN to be 90.0.x.y --> (IP3). The users are added using user manager which can be accessed through IP3/userman (as notified by the staff).
6. Sometimes when the internet isn't working, I get an error that essentially says, "Radius server not responding".

-------------------------------

That's all the information I have about the network, and I really need to make this work. Please help me guys? I can provide any additional information about this that you need. I of course am going to understand the crap out of this system in the future, but I had no access to this or any other such advanced router ever before! Please help a brother out?!

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Help a guy with no networking experience setup a network!

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Difficult to guess... but you probably need to:

- Add all ether ports where APs (or switches where APs are connected to) a bridge (I assume all APs are in layer 2 towards the RB1100AHx2)
- Setup a hotspot (there's a wizard) on such bridge
- Fix usermanager (I assume RB1100AHx2 was running it as radius server).
- Point hotspot to use radius client 127.0.0.1 (radius client is setup on radius button on left winbox pane, to make hotspot use it, open hotspot profile and go to the RADIUS tab)