Community discussions

MikroTik App

iccipsu
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik Home Setup

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Just got my MTCNA and want to learn more. I'm thinking about setting up a MikroTik home network. Not sure which gear is most suitable.

Goal/Needs:
  • have 1 main router
    connect 2 CCTV DVR's
    connect 2 AP's
I currently have an RB951Ui-2HnD laying around and want to utilise a Netgear router as an AP.

matiaszon

Re: MikroTik Home Setup

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:47 am

You don't say anything about number of users in your LAN, but I am guessing there won't be many. That should be OK. For future consider buying other MT devices to use them as CAPs - you will be able to manage wi-fi clients from the main router.

iccipsu
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:11 pm

You don't say anything about number of users in your LAN, but I am guessing there won't be many. That should be OK. For future consider buying other MT devices to use them as CAPs - you will be able to manage wi-fi clients from the main router.
There will be 4 LAN users. I was considering buying a HEX GR3 and HEX PoE Lite.
Setup would look something like this:

ISP Modem (Bridge) > hEX RB750Gr3 > hEX PoE lite -( CCTV1, CCTV2, RB951Ui-2HnD as AP, flashed Netgear as AP)

What do you think?

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:33 pm

You'll want to have at least a CRS1 or CRS3 type switch for VLAN creating and testing.

iccipsu
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm

You'll want to have at least a CRS1 or CRS3 type switch for VLAN creating and testing.
can you suggest which hardware I should buy?

matiaszon

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Can you explain why?

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:56 am

Just got my MTCNA and want to learn more. I'm thinking about setting up a MikroTik home network. Not sure which gear is most suitable.

Goal/Needs:
  • have 1 main router
    connect 2 CCTV DVR's
    connect 2 AP's
I currently have an RB951Ui-2HnD laying around and want to utilise a Netgear router as an AP.
I'm glad for you that you got your MTCNA. Now you need to go all the way. Drop the Netgear and go MT across the board.

Practice what you learned in your MTCNA before going too far.

If it's only for practice and IF you have a limited budget, mAP lite is great and affordable.

Then do the MTCRE so you can learn about dynamic routing, tunnels and VLANs.

The aforementioned capsman is a great idea but you might be jumping ahead of yourself. Learn all you can learn about Wi-Fi and how it's done with MikroTik before you let a controller do it for you.

I would suggest you wait before buying CRS hardware. Understand the basics before you go CRS or CCR. The way VLANs are done in CRS's is way different than with RB routers.

Hope that helped. Good luck!!

Sent from Tapatalk