Community discussions

h2402
just joined
Topic Author

Vlan on RouterOS 6.41

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:20 am

Hello!
I've never used the Vlan on the routeros, i need help to configure my lan like this scheme

I've 3 WAN point, i would to separate it with vlan
How i can setup the routerboard?

Thanks a lot

acruhl

Re: Vlan on RouterOS 6.41

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:12 pm

You probably have your terminology wrong. "Untagged" just means the device is plugged into a regular access port (in Cisco language), but configured to be on a certain vlan. Probably all of your devices will be plugged into untagged access ports. If you need more clarification on a tagged vs untagged port, ask.

You have vlans 20 and 30, so let's call your "untagged" examples vlan 10 for the purposes of this config.

What you are doing is pretty much exactly the same as this example:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... s_ports.29

ether2 in the example is how you would set up your link from the RB2011 to the antenna box, as well as the wireless links between the antenna boxes.

Then you would configure your untagged ports to be connected to whatever vlan they should be connected to like ether6, 7 and 8 in the example.

Does that make sense?
Stuff.

h2402
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:35 pm

You probably have your terminology wrong. "Untagged" just means the device is plugged into a regular access port (in Cisco language), but configured to be on a certain vlan. Probably all of your devices will be plugged into untagged access ports. If you need more clarification on a tagged vs untagged port, ask.

You have vlans 20 and 30, so let's call your "untagged" examples vlan 10 for the purposes of this config.

What you are doing is pretty much exactly the same as this example:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... s_ports.29

ether2 in the example is how you would set up your link from the RB2011 to the antenna box, as well as the wireless links between the antenna boxes.

Then you would configure your untagged ports to be connected to whatever vlan they should be connected to like ether6, 7 and 8 in the example.

Does that make sense?
Thanks for the clarification!
OK Untagged in the scheme means vlan10, no problem.
How i can setup the SXT , MANTBOX and the other side SXT to work with vlan?
Thanks

acruhl

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:29 pm

I think all links should work like the example:
/interface vlan
add interface=ether2 name=eth2-vlan200 vlan-id=200
add interface=ether2 name=eth2-vlan300 vlan-id=300
add interface=ether2 name=eth2-vlan400 vlan-id=400
In your case, replace ether2 with whatever interface (wired or wireless) you need the vlans to travel across. I think your wireless links will do this without issue, but I haven't done it first hand. Everything I do uses wires. But there are a lot of examples in the documentation of using "trunked" vlans (meaning: multiple tagged vlans) on a wireless link.

There was a really interesting setup using vlans and routing in a presentation at the Denver MUM if I remember right. Involved load balancing.
Stuff.

acruhl

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:50 pm

I forgot to mention:

This setup (ether2 setup above) will work if you're just "transporting" vlans across a link and the vlans won't be used to connect to clients on "access" ports. All you're doing on the wireless links is saying "allow this tag to traverse this link". They're not actually using those vlans, just moving them from one place to another.

If you want to actually set a port to use a vlan, you need to bridge it to the physical port, which is explained in the next 2 points of that article.

I come from a Cisco/Juniper world where setting up vlans on switches and using them is quite a bit more intuitive than MikroTik's setup(*). I probably don't explain it as well as it could be explained.

(*)MikroTik's setup is "how it actually works" though, so you're configuration is closer to what is really happening inside the device. Cisco and Juniper hide some of it from you for the sake of simplicity.
Stuff.