Community discussions

MikroTik App

Mercwriter
just joined
Topic Author

Very slow speed on downloading

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Hello, Few days ago I bought Mikrotik hAP lite RB941-2ND TC because my old netgear wan port died. I needed new one quick because I work from home and shop advisor recommended me this one he said its very reliable and tweakable....I didn't know it has so many options...I plugged in all cables and with default config out of the box everything works I can use skype and browse internet but if I start torrent downloads or try to download some big files it can't download faster then 1Mib/s but my isp gives 90 Mbps. When I plug in ISP cable directly in the PC speed is great up to 9 Mib/s when through router it's very slow? with previous router everything worked out of the box and worked fine. Can somebody help me with options? It's really not my field of knowledge I'm interpreter by profession.
My home network is: ISP cable to router and two PCs by cable to router I don't need WI-FI. Thanks in advance.

Mercwriter
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Very slow speed on downloading

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Since everyone is busy. I guess I'll try official support maybe they can help,if not, will buy router of another brand.Thank you for your time.Topic can be deleted

esquirrel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:38 am

I have an RB941-2nd TC which is performing well. I'm just a beginner like yourself but I'd be happy to help. I suspect that you likely have something set up incorrectly. Its easy to do because there is so much controllability. However, I'd rather have that than many other devices lack of it. Performance is quite good on the basic tasks for me.

If you read through the wiki you will find that you can use a console- in my case I use SSH, to connect to the router and export the configuration script. Did you use the web configuration setup routine ? if you did, you ended up with "defconf" starter settings which likely included a wifi access point. Its urgent that you disable wireless (OR set it up properly, in a modern way (no WEP, not just wireless b. use 80211.g or n) - setting up up a good security profile) Disable it and all other services except the one you use, if you are not using it. This is pretty easy to do using either the web interface or ssh or "winbox" which is a GUI program that runs either under windows or via wine on other OSs. Its under wireless.

(To set up wifi you will need to generate a 63 character long random string. set it, write it down and make sure your wifi is protected).
*There is a wiki page on "securing your router" the advice is good advice*. I am sure we all would hate it if it turned out your bad performance was actually other people using the "free wifi" you have provided them. (unlikely unless you live in the middle of a big city or apartment building)

Do that first, then lets get your router working well. Once you get it working well you can likely just leave it and forget it. Its only when you have semi-complicated requirements or want to push the envelope so to speak, (like the ones I want to get working) that it starts to get confusing.

fjay69
just joined

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:57 am

I had a similar problem. For me solution is: go to Interfaces, open Ethernet interface and uncheck all advertise flags with "half" in name.

slavko989
just joined

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:22 pm

I have the exactly same problem.
Shutting off Half advertising doesn't help.

Anyone? It seems that torrent app have trouble finding other p2p clients and thus, has the problem archiving the maximum speed.