Community discussions

MikroTik App

Artr
just joined
Topic Author

What hardware to use at home

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:47 am

Hi All,
New here and just learning about Mikrotik so hoping someone can recommend a router or switch/router? I will be replacing an Asus 68U that is used only as a router, no wifi. My network consists of 10 computers for home, 5 for a SOHO set up and various IOT devices. I am running 3 AP's for wifi as well. I'm using 4 vlans to segment various things too. My internet is a 400/20. Someone suggested the ccr1009-7g-1c-pc and I have also looked at the rb3011 and CRS326-24G-2S+RM but do they have full wire speed as well.
TIA

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: What hardware to use at home

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:38 pm

You can't go wrong with the CCR... that said a 3011 will do for sure.

If you want to save: RB3011. If you want to do an investment once for years to come: CCR1009.

CRS326 is a great switch, but I have never used it personally as a router (I may for a 100Mbps WAN if budget were tight). IMHO 400/20Mbps may be pushing the limits even for its ARM processor.

To put things in perspective: a RB3011 doing routing chores has minimum three to four times the routing power vs a CRS326.

A CCR1009 has three to four times the routing power of a RB3011.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:54 pm

CCR1009 is an excellent device, totally a different league from the RB3011. If it fits your budget, I would choose that one, even if it is overkill for now. It is also physically a high quality build device, beautiful and sturdy.

ochaconm
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:05 pm

If you want to learn more about Mikrotik technologies and play around with complex network topologies I would also suggest using GNS3 (a free network simulator tool) and CHR (There is also a free, limited version).
You can simulate almost anything, and also use heterogeneous technologies (Other networking brands, servers, pcs, etc...). However, the free version of CHR is limited to 1Mbps but could be still useful to test routing, firewall, nat, mangle, etc... maybe not suitable for testing bandwidth control(queues).
GNS3: https://www.gns3.com/
CHR: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CHR
I suggest looking the presentation
Planning RouterOS Networks with GNS3
by Michael Omondi: https://mum.mikrotik.com//presentations ... 769666.pdf

Greetings.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:43 pm

Also don't forget to compare performance of hap ac2 to 3011 and their prices. Maybe you can split router and switch in expectation of using the hap ac2 later elsewhere while you will be upgrading your Internet connectivity and the router if necessary ...

ToBeFrank

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:38 am

I'm very happy with my CCR1009 at home. I have a 1000/35 connection, and it doesn't even break a sweat when doing lots of QOS.

mt99

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:46 am

Emulation is the best idea when you want to learn, but I'm assuming you want to buy the hardware. I don't look at network gear as an investment, or put all my eggs in one basket. I scale out, not up, and buy smaller boxes that are meant for the tasks I have at hand. Let switches be switches and let routers be routers, and you'll be less likely to be disappointed. If it were me, I'd consider buying a hEX and playing around with that first. The price is certainly right, and it's powerful enough that you can find a job somewhere for it on your network later. If you're bound and determined to buy something bigger now, I have the 3011 as my edge router and it'll totally handle your requirements and then some. Once that's in and you're comfortable, do some research and find a switch or APs that will meet your needs. Consider mixing in other vendor's gear to get the best options for you. I've never used a CCR and I'm sure it's nice, but wow - I can't imagine being new to ROS and talking about dropping that kind of money on one box for home.