spartaniuszg
just joined
Topic Author

Help with router

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 am

Hi everybody!

I need help.

I am new in Mikrotik world.
So far I've been working only with Cisco and little with Hp equipment.

I am very pleased because the choice of Mikrotik equipment is huge.

I am building small network. for one of my client. We want to implement Mikrotik equipment. I don t have experience with Mikrotik devices and I need help .

Can someone with work experience give me advice, some pointers .

Client is small, 10 client computers and a server
Router must have good VPN option.
Simple ethernet RJ45 ports,
Good option for working with Access list
Firewall

And I need good ethernet switch, 24 port.
Simple managment switch with good port security option.

Thanks !

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help with router

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Hello,

I would probably look at starting with an RB750Gr3 (Hex) as they have excellent VPN properties. If you're new to MikroTik then it will be a relatively steep learning curve but worth it none the less.
For a 24 port switch you could look at the CRS326 models as they are brilliant switches and have an amount of L3 should you ever need it.

HTH

spartaniuszg
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:04 pm

I am new in Mikrotik world.
So far I've been working only with Cisco and little with Hp equipment.
If you understand networking, whats the difference?,
Port Is port, protocol is protocol, IP address is IP address.... there is no difference BUT there is differences in brand,types and device functionality.
I am very pleased because the choice of Mikrotik equipment is huge.
And most of them are, if not useless, for very specific purposes, some of them I can't even imagine.
Thank you for that information ;.)
I am building small network. for one of my client. We want to implement Mikrotik equipment. I don t have experience with Mikrotik devices and I need help .
Can someone with work experience give me advice, some pointers .
So you want us to teach your free and you will get all the money?
No, just some tips what equipment is worth the effort
Client is small, 10 client computers and a server
Router must have good VPN option.
Simple ethernet RJ45 ports,
Good option for working with Access list
Since when does computer count matter? :shock:
You really are the real thing :shock:
What speeds? What's the internet connection?
And I need good ethernet switch, 24 port.
Simple managment switch with good port security option.
You so sure that the company will double workstations in the nearest time?
If you will waste the companies money on useless gear and your salary, they surely won't.
Hm... again you're the real thing....
II love people like you, you put forums on bad name. ;-)

For people with normal answers:

I am planing to implementing Mikrotik router and switch in small company. Max 10 computers ( For user Kackele workstations ;-) )
I need simple router with VPN, Access List, port forwarding functionality and good ethernet 24 port switch, basic functionality, nothing special.
ISP can provide me with 50/50 speed.

What about Router SWITCHES!? For example models like Mikrotik Cloud Router Switch 326-24G-2S+RM or Mikrotik Cloud Router Switch 125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN !?

I have no experience with router-switches.

Thanks!

spartaniuszg
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Hello,

I would probably look at starting with an RB750Gr3 (Hex) as they have excellent VPN properties. If you're new to MikroTik then it will be a relatively steep learning curve but worth it none the less.
For a 24 port switch you could look at the CRS326 models as they are brilliant switches and have an amount of L3 should you ever need it.

HTH
Thank you for the answers.

I'll look at it! ;-)

Greetings from Zagreb!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:15 pm

For routing and natting of 50/50M the crs125 24g can be enough. It is just missing encryption performance for such speeds. If you need ipsec at that speed, the 750Gr3 is good for it and in addition you can run dude server in it on microSD card to monitor your network for free.

Kackele, I am warning you for the second time.

spartaniuszg
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Ok, I will keep my suggestion to myself. And you erase my question about the internet speeds. Since you are sure that is not important.
Kackele I forgot about it, you are correct! :-)
Thank you. :-)

spartaniuszg
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:32 pm

Hello,

HTH
Is there important differences between Router OS L4 and L5? RB750Gr3 is using L4 OS.

I dont have experiences but when I see that little plastic router box it makes me wondering. Can it be so powerfull?

What about 2011 series!? ISP is using that model but I can t get admin privileges. They are not giving access.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:35 pm

Hello,

HTH
Is there important differences between Router OS L4 and L5? RB750Gr3 is using L4 OS.

I dont have experiences but when I see that little plastic router box it makes me wondering. Can it be so powerfull?

What about 2011 series!? ISP is using that model but I can t get admin privileges. They are not giving access.
About the OS license levels:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:L ... nse_Levels

About the RB750Gr3 vs 2011 family:
Weird thing is, the RB750Gr3 is far more powerful than the 2011 series. It was launched less than a year ago, and the 2011 family is quite old.

Two things you have to keep in mind:

1) We need to know the internet speed. It may be too fast for some routers, when you load them with firewall rules, VPN, encryption and such.
2) What kind of VPN are we talking about? What speeds? How many connections?

And don't assume each VPN has all the possibilities available. The Mikrotik's OpenVpn, as an example, doesn't have compression or UDP tunnels.

spartaniuszg
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Hello,

HTH

About the OS license levels:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:L ... nse_Levels

About the RB750Gr3 vs 2011 family:
Weird thing is, the RB750Gr3 is far more powerful than the 2011 series. It was launched less than a year ago, and the 2011 family is quite old.

Two things you have to keep in mind:

1) We need to know the internet speed. It may be too fast for some routers, when you load them with firewall rules, VPN, encryption and such.
2) What kind of VPN are we talking about? What speeds? How many connections?

And don't assume each VPN has all the possibilities available. The Mikrotik's OpenVpn, as an example, doesn't have compression or UDP tunnels.
Internet speed will be 50/50 but if it proves necessary, we will reduce speed..
This is small company, only several VPN connections. Two maybe three connections top.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:40 pm

This is small company, only several VPN connections. Two maybe three connections top.
No need. An RB750Gr3 will easily do 50/50 internet. It will, even, do 50/50 VPN - if you use IPsec, which is hardware accelerated.

spartaniuszg
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:10 pm

No need. An RB750Gr3 will easily do 50/50 internet. It will, even, do 50/50 VPN - if you use IPsec, which is hardware accelerated.
Thank for the answers! I will try my luck with RB750Gr3.