Community discussions

MikroTik App

jemalone
just joined
Topic Author

wireless question

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 pm

I just got my MikroTik hAP AC RouterBoard yesterday. I want to set my wireless so that my daughter only uses the 2.4 access point on the router, I like to keep the 5 access point for my wife's and mine devices and the Roku device to use. Since it used the same password for both of them she would figure it out and start using the 5G one. Can I limit the bandwidth she uses also. She likes to stream video to her Macbook and it would be nice to limit her so she doesn't use up a lot of bandwidth. We have a 400/50 cable modem connection and I was not seeing more then around 97 Mbps to 100 Mbps on speed tests so far on either access point in the router with he default setup so far.

Thanks

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Re: wireless question

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:20 pm

1. create 2 security pofiles in /wireless security profiles with different passwords, one for 2.4GHz and other for 5GHz, then use these in the relevant wireless setup.

2. issue her a static IP from DHCP, then in queues simple queue, create a simple queue with destination as her static IP address, specifie upload and download limits, i.e. below is example with 5M upload and 10M download
/queue simple
add disabled=no max-limit=5M/10M name=queue1 target=192.168.xx.xx/32