Community discussions

MikroTik App

SummitAdmin
just joined
Topic Author

New Router, cannot use ubnt discovery and windows SMB

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:13 pm

So I am VERY out of my league here. Our IT guy here installed a mikrotik router then quit. I'm trying to add some new Ubiquiti Access Points using the desktop discovery pool and it isn't pulling anything up. The APs that were active already are still live and showing in the controller but not showing in the discovery tool. I'm also having issues setting up scan to pc via Windows SMB protocol. My only lead so far is that its something to do with UDP discovery (Previous guy could only spare enough time to say that.) I've gone through troubleshooting with Ubuiquiti and with the company that we rent our printer from the conclusion they both came to was that the router was blocking discovery.

As far as I can tell there's nothing specifically blocking... anything. SMB settings are enabled on all interfaces. Pretty much everything else I click in winbox is empty. Anyone else had similar issues? When searching there are lots of threads on how to disable ubnt discovery, the opposite of what I need ha.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New Router, cannot use ubnt discovery and windows SMB

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:27 pm

If you know how to disable, you also know what not to do to allow it. Right?

List your config so at least someone would be able to advise you what to look at / change.

Revelation

Re: New Router, cannot use ubnt discovery and windows SMB

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:32 am

So I am VERY out of my league here. Our IT guy here installed a mikrotik router then quit. I'm trying to add some new Ubiquiti Access Points using the desktop discovery pool and it isn't pulling anything up. The APs that were active already are still live and showing in the controller but not showing in the discovery tool. I'm also having issues setting up scan to pc via Windows SMB protocol. My only lead so far is that its something to do with UDP discovery (Previous guy could only spare enough time to say that.) I've gone through troubleshooting with Ubuiquiti and with the company that we rent our printer from the conclusion they both came to was that the router was blocking discovery.

As far as I can tell there's nothing specifically blocking... anything. SMB settings are enabled on all interfaces. Pretty much everything else I click in winbox is empty. Anyone else had similar issues? When searching there are lots of threads on how to disable ubnt discovery, the opposite of what I need ha.
Typically discovery protocols use broadcast to discover what is out there. Most likely what is happening is that your search tool is on a different broadcast network than what your new APs live on. If that is the case your best bet is to use a simple switch and connect to them that way, separate from your network to get a basic config on their that is in line with what your AP / Wireless network.