Community discussions

MikroTik App

sneakie
just joined
Topic Author

Hotel Wifi - Limiting all users to a set bandwidth

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:34 pm

Greetings,
1. For our conference guests we give then 1 username and 1 password for all their delegates. (this could be 50 to 100 people) We have a 30MB line and I would like to know how to limit the bandwidth say to 5mb Max per user (I don't mean that all 50 to 100 users only get 5mb) for that specific username and password. The 30mb should still be shared to all delegates.
Is this possible.
2. How to stop delegates from using the wifi for VPN's or restricting VPN bandwidth
3. How to stop delegates from downloading torrents etc.

Any assistance or links to reading material would be appreciated.

Regards
Pierre

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Re: Hotel Wifi - Limiting all users to a set bandwidth

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Can use Simple queue with 30Mb as max limit, then use PCQ to limit each to 5Mb

Maybe this can help viewtopic.php?t=119964
MTCNA, MTCTCE, MTCRE & MTCINE

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Hotel Wifi - Limiting all users to a set bandwidth

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:12 pm

1. For our conference guests we give then 1 username and 1 password for all their delegates. (this could be 50 to 100 people) We have a 30MB line and I would like to know how to limit the bandwidth say to 5mb Max per user (I don't mean that all 50 to 100 users only get 5mb) for that specific username and password. The 30mb should still be shared to all delegates.
Is this possible.
Easies way to do this is to use hotspot, two profiles one for conference guests and one for other guests. in each profile you can have bandwidth limit, burst rate etc. Hotspot will create simple queue for you when users logs in. so search for hotspot examples.

2. How to stop delegates from using the wifi for VPN's or restricting VPN bandwidth
Not sure you want to block VPN if there is conference. as long as they are with in the bandwidth limit, I don't see a problem if people want to use VPN. Anyway, you can block ports used by PPTP but SSTP use 443 so you cannot blocked it. Not sure whatelse you can do. someone else may know better.

3. How to stop delegates from downloading torrents etc.
OK, I have the same problem but there are Layer 7 rules . I find this one works for me
http://phallaccmt.blogspot.co.uk/2016/0 ... t-bit.html
it blocks P2P traffic but this stops some games. for such users I suggest them to use VPN :-)

I use it together with those method that checks torrent sites
viewtopic.php?t=59234
MTCNA MTCTCE UEWA