Community discussions

MikroTik App

Pericynthion
Topic Author

SOLVED* [noob IPSEC] trying to establish hardware accelerated VPN as primary outbound link

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:38 am

Hi everyone - new routeros user here! Hopefully this is an easy one that someone can help with...

I'm trying to set a VPN endpoint as my primary route (such that all outbound Eth1 traffic is encrypted - and ideally accelerated in the hardware of the RB750Gr3).
When I'm using just a straight L2TP client interface, using the username/password and pre-shared key in the IPSEC peer config everything connects fine.
When I check the 'use IPSEC' in the L2TP interface, it fails to connect.

Am I just misunderstanding the interface config? If I change the IPSEC/Peer config to an IKE exchange mode with the pre-shared key then I can see the remote peer is established on port 4500, which leads me to believe that everything is working as it should be, and I just dont need the IPSEC option at all in the L2TP interface?

Also - is there anyway I can prove that the traffic is being hardware accelerated from system performance stats etc?
Last edited by Pericynthion on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pericynthion
Topic Author

Re: [noob IPSEC] trying to establish hardware accelerated VPN as primary outbound link

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:38 pm

So I've been doing some research and concluded that the 'use IPSEC' option in the L2TP client will try and automatically generate the IPSEC config, so I dont need this option if I'm configuring the policy manually (and the auto-option doesnt seen to work).
Ok , so onto the policy (obvious info obscured) - any suggestions welcomed;

[dickie@MikroTik] /ip ipsec> peer print
Flags: X - disabled, D - dynamic, R - responder
0 address=104.237.61.99/32 auth-method=pre-shared-key secret="mysecret" generate-policy=no policy-template-group=default exchange-mode=main mode-config=request-only
send-initial-contact=yes nat-traversal=no proposal-check=obey compatibility-options=skip-peer-id-validation hash-algorithm=sha1 enc-algorithm=aes-256,aes-192,aes-128
dh-group=modp1024 lifetime=1d dpd-interval=2m dpd-maximum-failures=5

dickie@MikroTik] /ip> ipsec policy print
Flags: T - template, X - disabled, D - dynamic, I - invalid, A - active, * - default
0 T * group=default src-address=::/0 dst-address=::/0 protocol=all proposal=default template=yes
1 src-address=70.95.93.199/32 src-port=any dst-address=104.237.61.99/32 dst-port=any protocol=all action=encrypt level=require ipsec-protocols=esp tunnel=no proposal=HideIPvpn
ph2-count=0

[dickie@MikroTik] /ip ipsec proposal> print
Flags: X - disabled, * - default
0 * name="default" auth-algorithms=sha256,sha1 enc-algorithms=aes-256-cbc,aes-192-cbc,aes-128-cbc lifetime=30m pfs-group=modp1024
1 name="HideIPvpn" auth-algorithms=sha256,sha1 enc-algorithms=aes-256-cbc,aes-192-cbc,aes-128-cbc lifetime=30m pfs-group=modp1024

I see some dynamic states appear in the installed SA tab, but they all appear to be larval ESP but never anything that is actually encrypted.
Also I can see under the peer info for Phase2 that msg1 is sent, but it never progresses beyond that.

I'm more than open to the suggestion that this is a remote config issue (that I dont control) , but I wanted to eliminate the obvious noob config errors at this end first.

Thanks in advance!!

Pericynthion
Topic Author

Re: SOLVED - [noob IPSEC] trying to establish hardware accelerated VPN as primary outbound link

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:46 am

Solved - in case anyone else finds this with a search; So I managed to track this down with the additional logging;

/system logging
add prefix=ipsec topics=ipsec

And the key message in the log was 'NO-PROPOSAL-CHOSEN' , so after a bit of research I deduced that the default PFS (modp1024) is required to be enabled on both ends.
In my case connecting 'blind' to a VPN service providers, it clearly wasnt so by setting this the PFS group to 'NONE' it connected first time and I can see from the Installed SA's that the connection is up and that is is Hardware AEAD!

For clarity I ended up deleting the manual peer / policy configs and used the 'use IPSEC' setting in the L2TP client - the only thing I needed to change in the end was the PFS group to none.