Community discussions

MikroTik App

Rvelarde
just joined
Topic Author

WiFi comparison between hAP ac2 and hAP ac

Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:30 pm

I'm doing WiFi coverage tests between 2 Models:

RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC (I will call it hAPac2)
RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT (I will call it hAPac)
WiFi comparison between hAP ac2 and hAP ac.png
The suggested price of both models results in a price difference of $ 60.00

My question:
Where is such a big difference in suggested price, if in the WiFi coverage graph shows that the hAPac2 has better WiFi performance?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WiFi comparison between hAP ac2 and hAP ac

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:30 am

Do the real tests.
Read what you can find on this forum about these devices.
Check and compare used hardware.
Compare the moments when they reach the market.
Then come back and think again.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Wrong forum,use the wireless forum.

ivicask

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:12 pm

My question:
Where is such a big difference in suggested price, if in the WiFi coverage graph shows that the hAPac2 has better WiFi performance?
Note that hAPac has tripple chain 5ghz, while new ac2 has dual chain only.

So in theory if u connect to higher speed device with tripple chain like some apple copmuters, old one should be faster, but they removed extra chain on new one due costs, and very few people use tripple chain clients.

squeeze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 pm

To answer your question on initial price positioning it is simple: hAP ac = 3x3 router while hAP ac2 = 2x2 router.

Also, whatever tests you have done do not appear to be particularly thorough. The hAP ac2 is suffering from serious stability and performance issues. The performance side is being very gradually fixed, but the instability remains for now.

jspool

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:46 pm

My question:
Thank you for a good laugh. I truly needed that. In all seriousness those new to Mikrotik (This includes those that have possessed a Mikrotik but never really understood it) should devote some time to really exploring the many topics in this forum as much can be learned by those willing to put forth some effort. I do find it alarming how many people these days do their research based on YouTube or the first page results from Google.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:57 pm

Note that hAPac has tripple chain 5ghz, while new ac2 has dual chain only.

So in theory if u connect to higher speed device with tripple chain like some apple copmuters, old one should be faster, but they removed extra chain on new one due costs, and very few people use tripple chain clients.
in my experience 3 chains are far more superior than 2 chains --- the comparison between the hAP AC and the hAP ac2 however has to be taken in context to the overall technology deployed in the devices --- the CPU, the wireless chip used etc. From a pure spec perspective the hAP ac2 is far superior to the hAP AC when you consider the CPU and the number of cpu cores it deploys --- however from a pure wireless perspective the hAP AC because its a 3 stream device has significant better wireless AC performance especially when the wireless chip manufacturer is the same on the client side of the equation regardless of whether its a 2 stream or 3 streams client

For wireless 2/3 stream clients ---unfortunately --- at this time --- the wireless performance for the hAP ac2 is poor and mediocre at best based on my current tests.

Wired performance of the hAP AC2 is outstanding!

anavds

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Not fair, I started laughing and thus sprayed coffee all over my papers reading the Wired performance is Outstanding! :-)

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Not fair, I started laughing and thus sprayed coffee all over my papers reading the Wired performance is Outstanding! :-)
@anavds, laughing is good --- much better than crying :D and YES on the hAP ac2 wired performance is EXCELLENT in all my wired tests,

yhfung
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:35 pm

My question:
When you have time to carry out tests on hAP ac^2, make sure that you have to upgrade the OS and firmware to at least v6.43rc5. The 5GHz WiFi problem has already been resolved and the speed test results were very good. The download and upload speeds are over 380Mbps steadily.

YH

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:27 pm

He will test nothing obviously.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:17 am

a comparison on mikrotik wifi tx power

2ghz radios

mikrotik 2ghz wifi comparison.png

in theory hAP ac and hAP ac2 have similar and the best coverage because the same tx power per chain, wAP ac has less tx power per chain and hAP ac lite the lesser

a side note is the old rb951G with the highest tx power on lower data-rates but the same tx power as hAP ac and hAP ac2 on highest data-rates remember rb951G does not have 5ghz radio

5ghz radios

mikrotik ac wifi comparison.png

in theory all products have similar coverage because off almost the same tx power per chain

except the wAP ac who has less tx power on mcs0 but more power on mcs9, in theory that means less coverage on lower data-rates but best coverage on highest data-rates

another factor to take in consideration is channel width, the bigger the channel the less coverage you get

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... d_802.11ac

all this info must be take in count when selecting a device according to your requirements between coverage and performance on 2ghz and 5ghz

on wifi high tx power on access-point have limited benefits because client devices in most cases have total tx-power between 10dbm and 17dbm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vacari
just joined

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:08 am

I'm a newbie, but this does not look bad to me.
hAP AC ^ 2 is Wireless on an RB3011 as a router.

Is this bad or good after all?