Community discussions

MikroTik App

kozh
just joined
Topic Author

Need help - cannot enter admin page on CAP AC

Sat May 05, 2018 11:13 am

I've just bought two new devices - hap ac and cap ac.
I've smoothly and successfully set up hap ac as home wifi router.
Now i'm trying to set up cap ac but cannot even login into admin page.

I see two wifi networks from cap ac but my mac book just does not connect to either of those.

I tried to connect via patch cord, but i cannot see router IP then.
192.168.88.1 does not work.
I tried "arp -a" in terminal, it found the only IP in local network: "(224.0.0.251) at 1:0:5e:0:0:fb on en0 ifscope permanent [ethernet]".
Well, i cannot reach 224.0.0.251 from browser also.
But ping is fine..

What's the problem here?
What else should i try?

reidavidinho
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Need help - cannot enter admin page on CAP AC

Fri May 11, 2018 3:45 pm

Why don't you put an IP on the same subnet as 192.168.88.1 on your system, and try to access the router now..

MangleRule
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 11, 2018 6:51 pm

If you insert the power to the device while holding the factory reset button, you should get a blink on one of the LED indicators. This will factory reset the device. Plug into the device locally and open Winbox. Using Winbox, you should be able to connect to the device using the MAC address that shows up under neighbors. Once that is done, do the following in the terminal:

# Removes all configuration, makes sure users are reset to just the default admin account, and doesn't backup the current configuration
/system reset-configuration no-defaults=yes keep-users=no skip-backup=yes

Then once you login to a freshly reset device, update the RouterOS version and firmware. Then use the following commands:

# Create a local bridge
/interface bridge add name=local-bridge

# Add all interfaces to the local-bridge
/interface bridge port
  add bridge=local-bridge interface=ether1
  add bridge=local-bridge interface=ether2
  add bridge=local-bridge interface=wlan1
  add bridge=local-bridge interface=wlan2

# Create a dhcp-client on the local-bridge so you can access the access point for management
/ip dhcp-client add interface=local-bridge disabled=no use-peer-dns=yes use-peer-ntp=yes

Once all of the configuration there is done you can hook the cAP AC into your LAN network and the cAP AC will get an IP address from your DHCP server. Now with your computer connected back to your LAN, get the IP address of the cAP AC from the DHCP server and try to login now. If you can successfully login, setup whatever you need to for the wireless interfaces. Then I suggest looking into MikroTik's CAPsMAN which you can use on your hAP to manage the wireless on both devices. Let me know how this works out for you :)

MangleRule
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 11, 2018 6:55 pm

I tried "arp -a" in terminal, it found the only IP in local network: "(224.0.0.251) at 1:0:5e:0:0:fb on en0 ifscope permanent [ethernet]".
Well, i cannot reach 224.0.0.251 from browser also.

224.0.0.251 is a multicast address so that will not have anything to do with the setup, from a quick google search that address might refer to Bonjour / mDNS.

minfrin
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:36 pm

I have exactly the same problem - brand new CAP ac, and it does not have an IP address on boot. No access to a PC, and therefore no ability to run winbox.

DId you ever solve this?

Edit: Moments later I stumbled on a post that recommended using /tool mac-telnet <MAC> from another mikrotik - this worked (allowed me to access the console).

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:07 am

You could reset the AP into CAPs mode (hold button 10 secs) which will give a bridge + dhcp-client configuration.

Also device should be discoverable in TikApp (iOS and Android).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:05 am

Correct. I have two capACs.
I plugged them into my wired network and they acquired a DHCP address right away from my lan and were discoverable via Winbox.
If for some reason they were buggered, I would have reset them to defaults and tried again.
If no joy there, then I would have reset it again, plugged a laptop directly to it (and set ipv4 on my laptop to 192.168.88.2 IP address) and go from there.

If you are using them strictly as APs, the default configuration has a bridge and everything you need to start.
The first thing you want to do is update to the latest firmware and assign it a password like the routers.
You will have two radios to configure and if you need more one can create virtual radios.
If you need to add VLANS its dirt simple and can help with that as well.