Community discussions

MikroTik App

Twyrdy
just joined
Topic Author

Wirelesse Client Station does not route to ethernet

Sun May 27, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi there!

First of all, I'm kind of new to configuring mikrotik routerboards on my own, so maybe it my questions sund a bit dumb ;-)

I'm trying to configure a RB912 to connect to my wireless router to provide internet connection for the rest of my network, because it's not possible to use a LAN-cable yet.
I set up a bridge with the ethernet1 an wlan1 and gave that bridge a fixed IP, wlan1 successfully connected to my wifi. Afterwards I set up IP>Routes a new Gateway (my internetrouter), as i was told in a video-tutorial. And I set up a DHCP Relay.

Now my PC gets an IP from the DHCP and I can ping the routerboard via LAN using its fixed IP, so far, so good. And I can ping the routerboard via my wifi from my notebook using its fixed IP. But there is no traffic through possible.
Interesting is, my router shows the routerboard as connected to my wifi with its fixed IP, as soon as i turn my PC on, then my router shows the routerboard connected with the IP of the PC.

Does anybody now, where I made the mistake?
Help would be nice, I'm trying now for about 3 days, with different tutorials, but nothing worked for me.

Greetz
Twyrdy

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wirelesse Client Station does not route to ethernet

Sun May 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Standard wireless doesn't like multiple devices connected behing single client very much. You can try station-pseudobridge mode for wireless client. Or switch from bridged to routed setup, i.e. devices behind RB would have own subnet.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 27, 2018 10:57 pm

Let me restate your problem to make sure I understand it. You’re trying to add an RB 912 to your current SOHO router as a wireless access point.

If this is true, you are just overthinking the problem. Configure the 912 with its wireless and ethernet ports bridged together. Don’t configure any routing, DHCP, or anything else. Just configure the wireless interface to have the SSID and security parameters you desire.

All you need here is a dumb bridge, and everything else will work automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twyrdy
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2018 12:03 am

Let me restate your problem to make sure I understand it. You’re trying to add an RB 912 to your current SOHO router as a wireless access point.

If this is true, you are just overthinking the problem. Configure the 912 with its wireless and ethernet ports bridged together. Don’t configure any routing, DHCP, or anything else. Just configure the wireless interface to have the SSID and security parameters you desire.

All you need here is a dumb bridge, and everything else will work automatically.

This is exactly what i want, yes.
I first tried at the office first and it worked well, so i just changed the parameters to my home-network. Everything seemed to work, but i dont get any traffic through. I'm even not able to ping my computer or my router from out the RB912, but i can ping the rb from both sides and get IP by dhcp.
But thx for the hints, i will try again tomorrow after deleting the complete configuration to have a fresh one (as always ;-))

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 28, 2018 12:09 am

Don’t expect to ping anything or get anywhere from inside the 912. Like I said, it’s a dumb bridge, it doesn’t have any routes, and it doesn’t know how to get anywhere. But everything that connects to its wireless service will find its way out to its ethernet, and that’s all you need.

Certainly there are things you can add that will let the 912 route its own traffic to the network, but I assumed that was more complication then you really needed at the moment.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 28, 2018 12:50 am

1. Reset you 912 to factory defaults and upgrade it to ROS v6.42.3
2. set wlan1 to "station" & connect to your wireless router
3. set IP->DHCP Client to "bridge"
4. set IP->NAT to chain=srcnat, out-interface=bridge, action=masquerade

This should get you internet access through ether1 on the 912 and if you have a wlan2 you can set that to "ap-bridge" for wireless access.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 28, 2018 3:14 am

If he’s trying to create a wireless access point, as he agreed, setting the wireless interface to station mode isn’t going to help him.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 28, 2018 4:50 am

Good, now I'm not the only one who misunderstood the request. :)

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 28, 2018 3:59 pm

If he requires a wireless AP then he can add a PCIe wireless card to his 912 or he can setup the 912 as a station and then use the "Setup Repeater" wizard to create a wireless AP on the 912

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 28, 2018 4:37 pm

i am no longer confident I understand what the OP is trying to do, or that he understood the technical implications of agreeing with my statement that he was "trying to add an RB 912 to his current SOHO router as a wireless access point." In particular, he has not made clear whether he is attaching his 912 to his SOHO router with an ethernet cable to serve remote wireless devices, or whether he is trying to establish a wireless connection between the 912 at a remote location and his SOHO router. Clearly we are all interpreting his project differently.

Twyrdy
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 29, 2018 9:36 am

Ok, so i think there is a missunderstanding, or maybe i explained something wrong. I think my english is not that well trained atm ;-)

i try the following:
SOHO Router (with wifi) <=> wifi <=> RB912 <=> ethernet-cable <=> PC

So I found a tutorial telling me to set up a bridge with eth1 and wlan1 and to configure wlan1 in station-mode and additionally a gateway, but that didn't work as told before.
Actually I'm a IT-systemelectronics technician, but I'm out of this profession for about 10 years now and it's hard to get back in. I'm sorry for wrong explanations I obviously made.

Yesterday our admin at the office told me, i have to switch the wireless mode to "station pseudobridge" and that worked perfectly, even without any IP-adresse, DHCP-Relay or something else. But he couldn't explain why to do that.
I set up many wifi's and routers in the last 15 years, but never something extensive like routerOS. Not easy to teach yourself even the basics.

Thank you very much for your help, next i will try to understand why it is working that way ;-)

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Yesterday our admin at the office told me, i have to switch the wireless mode to "station pseudobridge" and that worked perfectly, even without any IP-adresse, DHCP-Relay or something else. But he couldn't explain why to do that.
This is the "wireless bridging problem" explained at 802.11 limitations for L2 bridging.

If your originating router is not a MikroTik you are stuck with this problem. station-pseudobridge will make a connection work for one device, but no more. If you have more devices, you have to NAT them at the MikroTik.

If your originating router is a MikroTIk, you can use station-bridge mode and the problem is solved by a proprietary extension.

Twyrdy
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2018 10:03 am

This is the "wireless bridging problem" explained at 802.11 limitations for L2 bridging.

If your originating router is not a MikroTik you are stuck with this problem. station-pseudobridge will make a connection work for one device, but no more. If you have more devices, you have to NAT them at the MikroTik.

If your originating router is a MikroTIk, you can use station-bridge mode and the problem is solved by a proprietary extension.
Thx for the hint, so i won't have to wonder when my NAS is not working properly. But first, this configuration solved my problem, so now it's time for the next steps :-)