Community discussions

MikroTik App

ethos
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik hAP lite As Wifi Extender with different SSID and WPA

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi to all, I've been puzzling hours now to setup a mikrotik that i bought today. I'd like to ask if it is even possible to do what i want to do. I want to connect my mikrotik hAP lite to my Router wirelessly and then make mikrotik repeat the router with different ssid and passphrase. I've been reading all over the internet, watched videos and i can't get it to work. I'm a newbie in networking and RooterOS seems to be very advanced to play with. I tried QuickSet but i get to a point that i can see the mikrotiks SSID extending my router but when i try to connect i get Failed to Retrieve IP Address. Did some changes and now i manage to connect to mikrotik but it says there is no internet connection. It driving me nuts. I'm trying different configurations for hours now and i come to a point that i want to return it back but i said to give it a last shot with your help here. Can you help me? Thanks in advance..

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik hAP lite As Wifi Extender with different SSID and WPA

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:11 pm

Try virtual client in pseudo bridge mode and bridge it with virtual ap in bridge mode. Put the dhcp client on the bridge. If no go, replace the first router by mikrotik or run cable between the two routers. Note that the wifi bridging is not standard but proprietary solution. Maybe you would need to route instead of the bridging. This will work for sure but you maybe don't want that.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik hAP lite As Wifi Extender with different SSID and WPA

Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:07 am

Hi to all, I've been puzzling hours now to setup a mikrotik that i bought today. I'd like to ask if it is even possible to do what i want to do. I want to connect my mikrotik hAP lite to my Router wirelessly and then make mikrotik repeat the router with different ssid and passphrase. I've been reading all over the internet, watched videos and i can't get it to work. I'm a newbie in networking and RooterOS seems to be very advanced to play with. I tried QuickSet but i get to a point that i can see the mikrotiks SSID extending my router but when i try to connect i get Failed to Retrieve IP Address. Did some changes and now i manage to connect to mikrotik but it says there is no internet connection. It driving me nuts. I'm trying different configurations for hours now and i come to a point that i want to return it back but i said to give it a last shot with your help here. Can you help me? Thanks in advance..
If your main router is a MikroTik, set up the hAP wireless interface as station-bridge. If it is not, then you run into the 802.11 bridging problem (see wiki) and you are limited to serving exactly one other unit, unless you introduce NAT routing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk