Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

areyesilva
just joined
Topic Author

Make devices with different LANs Communicate

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:21 am

So this is my scenario. I have a RB2011 in the office, All the devices are connected to a static-only server (128.10.5.0/24) so I need to input each mac to assign an IP address for any new device. The thing is that I usually setup, and test devices (Surveillance cameras) that come to my office with other ip addresses configured; so what do I need to know to reach these devices (cameras) with other static ip addresses so they are reachable to my lan (128.10.5.0/24)?
Drawing1.jpg
Thank you, I appreciate your help!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2frogs
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Make devices with different LANs Communicate

Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:53 am

You just need to add some routes. Change the gateway to your bridges name:
/ip route
add distance=1 dst-address=10.11.128.0/24 gateway=bridge
add distance=1 dst-address=10.124.12.0/24 gateway=bridge
add distance=1 dst-address=124.15.25.0/24 gateway=bridge

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:13 am

Any VLAN's?
MTCNA, MTCTCE, MTCRE & MTCINE

Samot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:24 am

Also what is what in this drawing? Is the rounded object (router) actually the RB2011? If so, what is the squared object (smart switch?)? Please identify what those two objects in the drawing are because if you have a smart switch that might be doing something with the routing of the networks that would be nice to know.

acruhl

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:37 am

The picture doesn't make sense until you label the devices with the red arrows.

You shouldn't have to do anything to make the 2 networks communicate if both subnets are defined on the same router. If they aren't talking, you are blocking it.

You don't need to add any routes, they are already there as connected routes (ADC in /ip route print). Again, given that these subnets are on the same router.

I'm continually amazed at how bad advice propagates in this forum regarding 2 subnets talking to each other attached to the same router. Nothing special needs to be done.
Stuff.

2frogs
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:52 am

You shouldn't have to do anything to make the 2 networks communicate if both subnets are defined on the same router. If they aren't talking, you are blocking it.

You don't need to add any routes, they are already there as connected routes (ADC in /ip route print). Again, given that these subnets are on the same router.

I'm continually amazed at how bad advice propagates in this forum regarding 2 subnets talking to each other attached to the same router. Nothing special needs to be done.
Read the OP description again! He has a static network and is attaching devices that have static ip’s that are outside the scope of his network. He does not have multiple networks. I am truly amazed at how many give advise that truly does not read the full description, but only looks at the pretty pictures. ;)

Samot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:46 am

Read the OP description again! He has a static network and is attaching devices that have static ip’s that are outside the scope of his network. He does not have multiple networks. I am truly amazed at how many give advise that truly does not read the full description, but only looks at the pretty pictures. ;)
If the router is setup to use the 192.168.88.0/24 subnet and the device has a different subnet and he plugs it into his router. He now has two subnets on his router except that the router only knows of ONE of those subnets and what to do with traffic from/to that subnet. So the answer is setting up the device so it can talk to the router (i.e. reachable from the router, can ping the router) and then making the LAN subnet talk to it. So again, if you want to plug devices with different subnets and IP ranges into the router and have that router actual *route* that traffic, you need to set those subnets up.

So we do know what the OP is going for and that is why we are tying to figure out, are these other subnets programmed on the router? If not, then they need to be. If they are then they are not configured properly and routes are probably missing.