Community discussions

MikroTik App

Kuba1301
just joined
Topic Author

New to mikrotik, home lan setup

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm quite new to Mikrotik world and configuration of my CRS-125-24G router is killing me. I tried several approaches before I gave up.
Details of my network/requirements.

Beside the router, I have 3 Access points (UniFi AP-AC-LR), I would like to achieve the following:
- LAN divided logically into 3 segments:
- MGMT (with 3 active ethernet ports)
- GUEST (LAN segment available only for guests, connected via AP)
- EQUIPMENT (LAN segment reserved for all of my devices, that are going to be connected directly to the router).

I configured all APs in a way that they offer 3 wireless networks:
- W-MGMT
- W-GUEST
- W-EQUIP

All 3 networks suppose to work within corresponding VLANs. So whenever someone connects to GUEST network, this person will get IP address from dedicated pool (10.59.0.X).
Configuration of AP is valid (networks are tagged with proper VLAN IDs).

What I did so far:
- configured WAN connection with NAT (masquerade enabled) so there is Internet connection
- one eth port configured with static IP address assigned to it and DHCP server configured, so whenever I plug a cable to the router, I get the IP address and can configure the router locally). I can access Internet from my PC. Used IP network: 10.20.128.0/24
- I created 3 VLANs (MGMT -> id=79, 10.79.0.0/24; EQUIP -> ID: 69, 10.69.0.0/24; GUEST -> ID: 59, 10.59.0.0/24).

Now here are my problems:
- only 3 eth ports must be in MGMT vlan. Should I then create a bridge, and add those eth ports to the bridge, as well as created VLAN?
- 17 of eth ports must be in EQUIP vlan. Should I repeat the same excercise (as above)?
- to which port should I assign Guest VLAN?
- Which interfaces I need to run DHCP servers - bridge or vlan? (assuming that each VLAN must be supplied with IPs from different networks).
- should I create a trunk on ports which APs are connected to? How can I assign the same VLANs (EQUIP, MGMT, GUEST) to multiple interfaces?

I would appreciate to have your support in getting my LAN up and running.

diddie17
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: New to mikrotik, home lan setup

Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:56 am

I'm not 100% clear on what you are trying to do, but I think most of it can be done through the VLAN configuration on the switch chip. Certainly having trunks carrying multiple VLAN's is easy using the switch chip.

The bit that I'm not sure about is how you intending to do the routing. Inside or outdie of the CRS. It also depends on which version of RouterOS you are running.

There are lots of great examples on the Wiki for CRS https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... s_examples

I think the example entitled "InterVLAN Routing" is probably your best bet although if you don't need to do routing on the CRS then "Port Based VLAN" would probably be the one to use.

Kuba1301
just joined
Topic Author

Re: New to mikrotik, home lan setup

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi diddie17,
Thanks for that reply. Finally, I was able to come up with the desired setup.
Features like bridge interfaces were the clue ;)