Community discussions

MikroTik App

gschiltz
just joined
Topic Author

DHCP Server or Not

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:36 am

I'm setting up a very small WISP network. I have a hEX router connected to my ISP's network. The router is also connected by ethernet to a Ubiquiti PowerBeam in access point mode. A second PowerBeam in station mode connects wirelessly to the first PowerBeam, and is connected by ethernet to another Ubiquiti access point in point-to-multi-point mode. Each client will have a radio in station mode that connects wirelessly to the last access point. [hEX]<-->[PB1]<-->[PB2] <-->[sector AP]<-->[Client]. I want to be able to connect to all these nodes' management interfaces by IP address. I could either give them static leases in the router (by MAC address) and let them use DHCP to get the corresponding IP addresses, or I could not configure a DHCP server in the router and configure the nodes manually (giving them static IP addresses). I suppose the benefit of using a DHCP server is that I can centrally manage the IP addresses, whereas the benefit of doing it all manually is that if the server goes down, the nodes all get their IP addresses and are still reachable. Any thoughts?

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: DHCP Server or Not

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:12 am

I'd set static IP to your core network and let the station radios at customer end pick up DHCP.

imanfarahi
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Dear
the best solution in running WISP is to use PPPoe Server and also using Radius

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:14 pm

Static IP's on your "core" network interfaces would be a good idea and setting them manually would be a better idea than relying on the router to reserve them. Ensure you have a good solution for backing up configs and you'll be good to go. UNMS would be best if using UBNT kit.

Client CPE devices could use DHCP if you wanted a small amount of flexibility.

@imanfarahi He wasn't asking about end users IP connectivity.