Community discussions

MikroTik App

yoshimauk
just joined
Topic Author

Triple WAN VOIP Load Balancing

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Afternoon all,

I am looking for some help and advice from the community to achieve the following Load Balancing / Failover scenario using a RB3011.

Three WAN's
One for all Data Traffic (Port 1)
Two for VOIP WAN's with Load Balancing / Failover to spread the usage without maxing out the WAN of any one WAN (Port 2 & 3)
Assigned to the first three ports (1,2,3) of the RB3011 switch 1

Two LAN's
One for all Computers and WIFI Devices (172.30.30.x)
One for all VOIP based devices (Handsets) (172.30.20.x)
Connection between both LAN's must be accessible for use with Click to Dial (C2D). The computers on the Data LAN initiate a call using a HTTP post to the devices (Phones) on the VOIP Lan.
Assigned to first ports of switch 2 of the RB3011 (5,6) VOIP (Port 5) Data (Port 6)

Questions:
Is there any reason that I should have a third management LAN (192.168.88.0)?
I have followed the basic PCC setup https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PCC to get myself started and made some modifications using Winbox.
I can achieve the failover side but am not able to force devices on port (5) to use the WAN interfaces on port 2&3 without losing LAN connectivity between the two LAN's. I added a mangle rule mark the route all devices on the VOIP Lan to go over the 1st VOIP WAN.

I fear that i have probably achieved what I need but have lost and confused myself with converting command line modifications to Winbox.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and achieving the above.

Many thanks in advance.

Yosh

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Triple WAN VOIP Load Balancing

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:45 pm

Post config
/export hide-sensitive file=nameofyourchoosing.

I would not share VOIP between two different WANS.
I would assign one VOIP to one WAN and the other VOIP to the other WAN.
My limited experience is that VOIPs dont like being switched unless its necessary (failover).

I dont see how you are going to have to worry about load balancing if all the data is on port 1?

Also you dont mention what happens if both port 2 and port 3 go down, did you want voip to go out port 1 and vice versa.
What happens if port 1 goes down, is the data supposed to go out port 2 or 3???

Are they three different ISP providers?? If, for example, they are from the same provider, there is no redundancy or fail over, if the ISPs service is not available all three WANS are not available.

yoshimauk
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:05 pm

Anav,

Thanks for the reply. The site where I am configuring this has limited connectivity speeds, so I am looking for solutions to ensure that VOIP comms are always stable and do not experience any latency or jitter. Most of the Data will be basic surfing or music streaming, so for this reason I want to ensure both VOIP and DATA go out through different connections. The supplier for all three connections is the same yes, which of course doesn’t deal with a supplier outage. If there were a cable issue with one of the lines however this would still provide failover I believe? The site has a high simultaneous call rate hence the reason for having two VOIP lines.

I agree it is probably isn’t the best idea to have VOIP being split based on Load Balancing as you are right it could cause issues with NAT etc and not provide a stable solution. Could I however split the two VOIP WAN's based on LAN IP address or something else (VLAN TAG), basically split the devices across the two WAN's?

It is not so important to have the DATA WAN failover and I hadn't considered it too much until now. Thinking on this now I think the following would be best:

WAN 1 (DATA)
WAN 2 (VOIP) 50 % of devices on the VOIP LAN
WAN 3 (VOIP) 50 % of devices on the VOIP LAN

If WAN 2 or 3 fail then all devices on the VOIP LAN should use the other connection
If WAN 2 and 3 fail together then all devices on the VOIP LAN should use WAN 1
If WAN 1 fails could I achieve a 50 / 50 split across the available VOIP WAN's

I will send over the config tomorrow am as I am offsite now, apologies I should have backed up before leaving site

Your thoughts?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:27 pm

... but am not able to force devices on port (5) to use the WAN interfaces on port 2&3 without losing LAN connectivity between the two LAN's.
This might give our friend anav a heart attack, but I think it calls for some nice routing rules:
/ip route rule
add action=lookup-only-in-table dst-address=172.30.20.0/24 table=main
add action=lookup-only-in-table dst-address=172.30.30.0/24 table=main

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:58 pm

JAJAJAJAJAJA

I have to warn you yoshimauk, once you go SOB you never go back.
Its like entering Hotel California.
Make sure your will is up to date!!!

yoshimauk
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Morning Anav and Sob,

please see attached config.

Let me know what your thoughts are. At this point I just want to get this up and running and can tweak things and maybe even follow you down the rabbit hole later Sob, sounds like it could be a journey.

Both have a great Sunday.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Samot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:18 pm

What are the "limited connectivity" speeds of WAN 2 and WAN 3 that the VoIP is going over? How many phone devices are there? And what is simultaneous call average?

Failing over the phones is possible but there are other considerations that have to factor in, such as the phone updating its "Location" details with the PBX/service as well as media.

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:21 pm

before get to the Mikrotik configuration part, which I am sure will be taken care of, speak to your VOIP provider first.

depending on the set up you have and where the PBX is located (local or cloud), it may not like, or even allow the 2nd public IP to register on the VOIP trunk side. Even registration is allowed, what Public IP should incoming call to be forwarded to?

how I think it may work
1. each extension register with the VOIP provider directly, this is very uncommon for companies to have but if this is the case, you can split the extensions so some go through WAN2, some WAN3.
2. you have the PBX locally, and the VOIP provider allows 2 x simultaneous registrations, and your PBX register two VOIP trunks , each go through a separate WAN, and you set up the PBX in the way that one trunk is used for incoming calls, and one for outbound calls. hope this makes sense.
3, because all WAN connections are from the same provider, ask if they can get up a bounding on WAN2 and WAN3, therefore you come put with only one public IP but effectively double the bandwidth.
4. is 4G available in your area?

your WAN 2 and 3 connection must be very limited or the number of concurrent calls are so great to the point you have to consider load-balancing.

yoshimauk
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Solar,

the PBX is cloud based. I have checked with the supplier and multiple registering devices from different IP's shouldn't be an issue.

Number 1 is the current setup.

I will check on bonding.

What further information do you need for us to get started?

Y