Community discussions

MikroTik App

dontknow
just joined
Topic Author

DHCP settings for Access Point

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi!
I'm almost total noob with networks. So I bought MikroTik and trying to learn. Searched for my question all over the network but somehow can't find actual thing that I should do. Maybe you can direct me to the information I need?

I have router without a wi-fi and a trendnet access point. I set up AP - give it IP in the range of my network, disable DHCP, make router gateway in settings and set up wi-fi settings.
Then I plug it into the router, it pings, I can get into interface from my PC inside the network.
But I don't know how to set up DHCP so it would work on the AP and give clients that try to access wi-fi their IP.
All ports on the router are bridged by default except the one with internet. Eth5, port with AP on it is now in slave mode. I tried to remove it from bridge and run new DHCP server on that point but it had no effect and I think I didn't set it up properly.

I'll appreciate any help.

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DHCP settings for Access Point

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Just bridge wlan1 and your ether port on Access Point. Then frames will flow through your AP to ether port on main router and dhcp server configured on ether port will respond dhcp messages.
Ether port on main router shouldn't be slave port.
IP address may be on ether port of AP or on bridge interface. As you like.

dontknow
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:54 pm

Just bridge wlan1 and your ether port on Access Point. Then frames will flow through your AP to ether port on main router and dhcp server configured on ether port will respond dhcp messages.
Ether port on main router shouldn't be slave port.
IP address may be on ether port of AP or on bridge interface. As you like.
Thanks! I reset to default bridge (eth2-eth5) again and it works, DHCP gives my wireless clients IP, but there is no internet access. If I add eth1 (internet) to the bridge, I can't get online from wired connection also. Looks like it gives proper IP and DNS but I can't ping router nor access point from wireless client even if set IP manually.
And another question - can I set up wireless range, on eth5 to designate another range of IP? Like 192.168.1.100/254.

diddie17
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:09 am

If there is no WiFI on the router and you are using a seperate AP, you won't be able to bridge wlan1, I think Anumrak probably misread the question.

Eth1 should not be bridged if you are using it for WAN access, the bridge should be for eth2 to eth5.

In your case, it seems like all you are trying to do is get DHCP on the router, which should be simple, you just add a DHCP server on the bridge and it should work for all internal clients, including wireless htrough the seperate access point.