Community discussions

MikroTik App

willdashwood
just joined
Topic Author

Use other router for DHCP

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:00 pm

Hello,

Apologies if this has been covered before but I can't find a post that covers my situation and I'm still a bit of a noob with RouterOS.

I have a CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD-IN in my office which I want to use to provide wired connections to my PC, NAS, printer and deskphone as well as act as a wireless access point.

The MikroTik has had it's configuration reset back to default and port 1 is connected to my Virgin Media Superhub 3.0, which is in router mode, as opposed to modem mode. I need to keep it in router mode because there are other devices connected directly to it and I'd like to avoid buying a separate dumb switch just to accommodate those. That means the Superhub is acting as a DHCP server.

Surprisingly everything sort of works out of the box, except that the devices connected to the Superhub are assigned IPs IPs in the 192.168.0.0/24 range and those connect to the MikroTik are in the 192.168.88.0/24 range. This means they can't "see" each other. For example, my TV connected to the Superhub can't find my NAS which is connected to the MikroTik.

So what I think I'd like to do is...

1) Disable the DHCP service on the MikroTik and configure it to instead let the Superhub handle such requests.
2) Configure the MikroTik to operate in the same IP range (192.168.0.0/24) as the Superhub.

Although if I'm overthinking this and actually there's an easier way of allowing all devices to see each other that would be fine.

I'm using Winbox and I believe the following pages are the ones I need to play around with in order to achieve my goal:
winbox_2018-06-27_15-58-18.png
However, so far all my experiments in different settings have yielded no success and I have to do a configuration reset again. Would someone be kind enough to guide me though step by step what changes I need to make?

Many thanks,
Will
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Use other router for DHCP

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:03 pm

Remove all configuration and add all interfaces to one bridge. Set the wifi as ap bridge and everything will work as you want.

willdashwood
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks for replying. Is there an easy way to remove all configuration in one go or do you just mean the configuration shown on the pages in the screenshot?

At the moment it looks like all interfaces are set to the same bridge:
winbox_2018-06-27_17-01-18.png
So is it just a case of removing the pre-configured DHCP server and network, IP pool and address list?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

djmuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:42 pm

Quick & dirty solution - disable DHCP scope so the mikrotik isn't giving out Ip addresses.
plug virgin router into a port other than ether 1 - this will connect the virgin router to the 'LAN' side of the mikrotik.

Once this is working use winbox in MAC mode to connect to the mikrotik:
give the bridge an ip address in the virgin subnet or set a dhcp client on the bridge interface
remove the dhcp client from ether 1
assign ether 1 into the bridge along with everything else.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:12 am