Community discussions

MikroTik App

bootaurora
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik mAP 2nd and Groove 52HPN

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi,
I am trying to do something of which i am not sure is possible.My setup is for on my boat. The Groove will be in the mast and connect via a UTP to the mAP so i can get the marina WiFi repeated into my steel boat.
I want to use the mAP to power the Groove via POE. But the POE is on the 2nd port on the mAP which is as i undestand the data "output" (regular ethernet port).
When i connect the Groove to port 1 on the mAP i can use it as the internet connection.

Basically i want the functionality of port 1 on port 2 which gives POE.
Is this at all possible?

If not, does anyone know a good 12v DC (for on a boat) to passive POE adapter?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: MikroTik mAP 2nd and Groove 52HPN

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Yes, Routerboards are 100% programmable.

You could achieve what you want and learn during the process, this is what I'd do to "reverse" the ports w/o having to program it from scratch:

Connect to your mAP using winbox.

1.- Create an configuration export: To do so, Open a New Terminal, and issue
/export file=mymap.rsc
2.- Download the file to your desktop: open Files, then either drag and drop mymap.rsc to your desktop, or right click, Download, save. Make a copy.

3.- Open mymap.rsc with an editor that preserves CR/LF, e.g. wordpad or notepad++ on windows, textedit on OS X, or any linux editor:

- Enter this line at the beginning of the file just after the Serial number comment:
# serial number = 98760298760032
/delay 30

Now use Find and Replace to:

- Change all ether1 occurrences to 'ether11'
- Change all ether2 occurrences to 'ether22'
- Change all ether11 to ether2
- Change all ether22 to ether1

By this time physical ports are reversed. In order not to induce to error:

- Change all ether1 to LAN-ether1
- Change all ether2 to WAN-ether2

(WAN port in the router will be ether2 and LAN ether1 physically)

Save the file as mymapR.rsc for example (R from Reversed)

4.- Upload mymapR.rsc back to the map using Files, either by drag and drop, or by using the Upload button.
5.- Go to System > Reset Configuration, tick Keep User Configuration, Do Not Backup and most important: No Default Configuration. On the Run After Reset field set mymapR.rsc. Click on Reset Configuration button.

Router will restart and load the config in the mymapR.rsc file. You can make sure it loaded fine by connecting to it, opening a New Terminal and issuing an export again the text should match.

If you cannot connect to the map afterwards (e.g. didn't load the configuration):

- Make sure you're connected to ether1
- Use Neighbors tab in Winbox

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:07 pm

That's a great write-up by Pukita.

Keep in mind that the mAP Quick Guide indicates that there is a voltage drop of 2 vdc in the POE-Out circuitry. If you are going to the top of your mast for the Groove mounting you may want to use an active POE such as the Tycon DCDC-1224 or other DC to DC voltage booster to insure that there is adequate power at the end of the long cable run. If you are not going to the top of the mast keep in mind that mounting your Groove close to the mast will shadow the antenna to some degree.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:22 pm

As Pamela32 pointed out, you should watch out for voltage drops.

However, the Groove doesn't support active PoE, only passive.

The best approach is using a DC power adapter from 24V to max 30VDC (Groove limit), capable at least of 500mA.

Power the mAP with it via it's DC-in jack with it, it will power the Groove fine.

The higher the voltage you use, the less voltage will drop as intensity will be lower.

Be sure of using quality wire (5e is perfectly fine) and properly grounding everything, a boat mast is very susceptible of picking electrostatics.

For a boat, if you intend to pick signal away from harbor, I'd use a grid directional antenna for the Groove (instead of an omni), then come up with a system to be able to align (rotate around) the mast, be it manual, or electronic (Satellite dish rotor, or raspberry + servo for example).

bootaurora
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi, thanks for this detailed explanation. I did exactly as you described but must have done something wrong.
when i try to connect i cant. (neighbour works fine..)

when i do a output i get:

# jan/02/1970 00:28:09 by RouterOS 6.40.5
# software id = LCM4-NDPM
#
# model = RouterBOARD mAP 2nD
# serial number = ************* (removed by me..)
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] ssid=MikroTik
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik

what goes wrong.
If i do a full reset and download the default file and edit like you mentioned and reupload this happens every time.
I did this now three times.
Any ideas?

Also i see that for the bridge the MAC is pointed to interface 2 as standard. The last time i also changed the MAC to go to the other interface.
Any thoughts?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:48 pm

ROS will select a Mac address from the ports in the bridge, no need to specify any.

Looks like the .rsc file is not loading, try logging to the router after the reset, and issue
/import file-name=mymapR.rsc verbose=yes
Pasting any errors here.

bootaurora
just joined
Topic Author

Re: MikroTik mAP 2nd and Groove 52HPN  [SOLVED]

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:45 pm

Yes!! fixed..
i did a reset again. downloaded and changed the file and reset same thing.
then i did the manual import and it has imported fine now.

I rebooted the router again just to be sure if the config remained and it is still there.
Thanks!!!