Community discussions

seyyx4n2sc
just joined
Topic Author

What is dst-port in mangle rule?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Is it destination port to MY PC? Or destination port from my PC to other server?

I think it is destination port to Server. But this confuses me. For example this rule
/ip firewall mangle add chain=prerouting dst-address=10.111.0.0/24  action=accept in-interface=LAN[
It is trying to match packet that is destined to 10.111.0.0/2 but at the same time packet that come in to LAN? shouldn't it be OUT-INTERFACE of WAN??

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Re: What is dst-port in mangle rule?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 pm

Hello

You have to many questions for too little information for us to use. Please explain what you wish to achieve.

Dst-port is the protocol port of the destination based on the application you are using. For example, the destination port of a web server you wish to reach is 80 (tcp protocol) or 443 if it's a secure server.

Lite I said, give more information and then dungeons can talk more about in and out interfaces.

Regards

Sent from Tapatalk

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:58 pm

...someone, not dungeon :)

Sent from Tapatalk

seyyx4n2sc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:10 am

Hi sorry for being unclear. I am just confuse on what the relative direction when it says dst-port. The packet going out from my PC will have dst-port to server. The packet coming in to my PC will have dst-port for my PC. So what direction does mangle rule care about?

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Dst-port is for whoever is receiving the traffic . that's it! No need to over think it :)

So, based on the other matchers, it can become very easy to see when the filter (rule) applies and to what.

If the in interface for example, is wan, then dst-port is for one Of your devices getting traffic from outside. If you want to be more specific, add more matchers on your filter.

I hope this makes it clearer.

Sent from Tapatalk

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:20 pm

As @Alain already explained: generally when thinking about src and dst (and dst_port in particular) one should take perspective of IP packet.
IP packet started from src (IP address, TCP/UDP port) and tries to go to dst (IP address, TCP/UDP port). IP packet doesn't care which physical interfaces are on the way and how they are named by router administrator nor in which direction it will pass a particular router (left or down)...
BR,
Metod