Community discussions

MikroTik App

nate123451
just joined
Topic Author

IP Outside the IP Pool

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I am having some trouble in locating the IP's outside my set pool.
e.g Ip pool 10.0.1.30-10.0.1.254

How can i able to see the ip's below 30? Or if possible the entire subnet?

Many thanks!

diddie17
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: IP Outside the IP Pool

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:59 pm

You could use the IP Scan within the tools menu, which will allow you to scan ranges of addresses on specific or all interfaces.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:02 pm

IP>ARP and you can see what IP's are talking to your router.

nate123451
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:52 am

You could use the IP Scan within the tools menu, which will allow you to scan ranges of addresses on specific or all interfaces.
Done with this and now able to see the ip's that I was checking.

Another followup question for this, Is it possible to configure or assigned the given ip outside the pool and make it static?

diddie17
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:03 am

Absolutley, you can set a static lease by adding an entry to the DHCP leases for the specific MAC address of the device.

An easy way to do this is to let the device pick up a dynamic IP addressfrom the pool, open up the dynamic entry and click on make static. Then you can change the IP address to where you want it to be (outside the pool).

I don't think it is a real issue to leave the static address inside the pool if you would prefer as I believe the DHCP Server will check with a ping to make sure an address is free before assigning the address from the pool. Personally as you suggested, I always assign static addresses from outside of the pool. In the example you gave 10.0.1.1 to 10.0.1.29.

nate123451
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:24 am

Absolutley, you can set a static lease by adding an entry to the DHCP leases for the specific MAC address of the device.

An easy way to do this is to let the device pick up a dynamic IP addressfrom the pool, open up the dynamic entry and click on make static. Then you can change the IP address to where you want it to be (outside the pool).

I don't think it is a real issue to leave the static address inside the pool if you would prefer as I believe the DHCP Server will check with a ping to make sure an address is free before assigning the address from the pool. Personally as you suggested, I always assign static addresses from outside of the pool. In the example you gave 10.0.1.1 to 10.0.1.29.
Did what you suggest, what happens is when I changed it to desired static ip outside the pool, the status is waiting. The machine itself didn't acquire the assigned IP I put.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:30 am

Did what you suggest, what happens is when I changed it to desired static ip outside the pool, the status is waiting. The machine itself didn't acquire the assigned IP I put.

Remember that the machine in question does not get a new address as soon as you change it't static reservation. It has no way of knowing that you changed the IP. Next time the machine requests an IP, it will get the new address. Normally that will be at about half the lease time.

nate123451
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:36 am

Remember that the machine in question does not get a new address as soon as you change it't static reservation. It has no way of knowing that you changed the IP. Next time the machine requests an IP, it will get the new address. Normally that will be at about half the lease time.
Noted on this! Thanks for the info! :)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:07 pm

... I believe the DHCP Server will check with a ping to make sure an address is free before assigning the address from the pool.
Actually both DHCP server AND client should check availability of an address as per RFC2131.

diddie17
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:58 am

... I believe the DHCP Server will check with a ping to make sure an address is free before assigning the address from the pool.
Actually both DHCP server AND client should check availability of an address as per RFC2131.
Good to know, thanks for the correction. I'm glad there are more knowledagble people around to pick up on my mistakes and for me to learn from :-)