Community discussions

MikroTik App

RomelSan
Topic Author

IPv6 Home problem

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:23 pm

I can get IPv6 addresses on my computers, but i can not ping or browse the internet using IPv6.

My current configuration is as follows:

1) Get Ipv6 prefix
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=internet-ether10 pool-name=internet-ipv6 request=prefix use-peer-dns=no
Then in pool i can see the prefix. (Ipv6 redacted)
Flags: D - dynamic, X - disabled, I - invalid 
 #    INTERFACE                                           STATUS             REQUEST                                          PREFIX                                                                      
 0    internet-ether10                                    bound              prefix                                           2800:xxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64, 1w6d20h25m21s                          

2) Assign an address to the Bridge (LAN).
/ipv6 address add address=::1 comment="Core LAN IPv6" from-pool=internet-ipv6 interface=bridge1
3) Add ND
/ipv6 nd
add hop-limit=64 interface=bridge1 managed-address-configuration=yes other-configuration=yes
The prefix is found (D) in the prefixes Tab, so it is working.

4) Routes are auto-generated
/ipv6 route> print
Flags: X - disabled, A - active, D - dynamic, C - connect, S - static, r - rip, o - ospf, b - bgp, U - unreachable 
 #      DST-ADDRESS              GATEWAY                  DISTANCE
 0 ADS  ::/0                     fe80::1%internet-ether10        1
 1 ADC  2800:xxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64  bridge1                         0
 2  DSU 2800:xxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64                                  1
Problem
Using winbox -> tools -> ping
i can ping OpenDNS ipv6 2620:0:ccc::2
But my computer can't.
Ipconfig shows:
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2800:xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:6152:e53b:9c44(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2800:xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:b695:9763:4adb(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::81aa:6152:e53b:9c44%16(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::d6ca:6dff:fe2c:e3c1%16
The local address for LAN bridge1 is: fe80::d6ca:6dff:fe2c:e3c1
The IPv6 Address is assigned as expected.

Please help.

ksteink
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: IPv6 Home problem

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:14 am

I am assuming that you're using Comcast IPv6? If so you may want to follow this online guideline: https://idndx.com/2016/07/20/routeros-m ... cast-ipv6/

Seems to me that you don't have configured your Default route on IPv6.

Go to Winbox --> IPv6 --> Routes and check that you have a default route pointing either to 2000::/3 or ::/0.

RomelSan
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 am

I did that configuration...
I don't know if the problem is because the prefix the ISP gave me is a /64.
Also the ISP router is in routing mode and not in bridge mode.
Can that be a problem?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:07 am

One interesting bit is how computer gets the address. You have managed-address-configuration=yes, which tells connected devices to get address using DHCPv6. But DHCPv6 server in RouterOS doesn't support giving out addresses yet. Do you have another DHCPv6 server in your LAN?

But since it somehow got the address, it should be able to use it. So try if traceroute shows something more useful, or look if you see incoming packets from computer to router, and if they pass through and go further to ISP, etc...

RomelSan
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Unchecked managed-address-configuration. --> Thanks.
There are no other routers in my LAN.

RomelSan
Topic Author

Re: IPv6 Home problem  [SOLVED]

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:59 pm

Finally fixed...
The solution was to put the ISP router in bridge mode, because the /64 is for one subnet only.
The ISP router was already using the only /64 available to me, so the Mikrotik did not get a chance to see the internet.
Thanks for helping.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:45 pm

It's good that it works, but only /64 sucks. It looks like awful lot of addresses at first (and it is), but yes, it's one subnet and it's not supposed to be divided in smaller ones. While possible, many devices know only how to work with /64 and autoconfiguration (I mean, if they support IPv6 at all). And one subnet is not enough for modern age.

Do you have it confirmed by ISP that it's intentional? Of not, try prefix hint parameter in DHCPv6 client and ask for something bigger, /56 or perhaps full /48 (overkill, but hey, why not).

diddie17
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:15 am

A /64 provision is a little mean from your ISP. I guess at one level you should be happy that the ISP provides any IPv6 connectivity, many still don't.

The ISP I use provides a routed /48, with a seperate /64 Network Discovery Prefix. This is used to automatically address the WAN interface of my Router. In other words, I get a full /48 to play with. I'm not sure what they think I'm going to do with it, but it's what they provide as standard to all of their customers.

RomelSan
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:11 am

It's good that it works, but only /64 sucks. It looks like awful lot of addresses at first (and it is), but yes, it's one subnet and it's not supposed to be divided in smaller ones. While possible, many devices know only how to work with /64 and autoconfiguration (I mean, if they support IPv6 at all). And one subnet is not enough for modern age.

Do you have it confirmed by ISP that it's intentional? Of not, try prefix hint parameter in DHCPv6 client and ask for something bigger, /56 or perhaps full /48 (overkill, but hey, why not).
Yes, the ISP just gives a single /64... Tried the prefix hint parameter but didn't get lucky.
I will try to call them later.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:22 am

I remember it used to be recommended to give /48 to every customer. It's easy to work with (whole one part between two colons belongs to customer for subnetting) and while it's huge overkill for most customers, there's enough addresses to go around. Regular ISP starts with /32, it's enough for 65k customers with /48 each. And if there's more customers, ISP can get more addresses. It also means up to 65k subnets for each customer, which is crazy and wasteful, so the revised idea is to give that only to bigger ones and /56 to small ones. It's not like e.g. a home user will use 256 networks anytime soon, but it's something to work with in future, if it becomes standard minimum and can be safely assumed that it's available everywhere. ISP with just one /32 can have 16M customers with /56 each. So there's no sensible reason why any ISP would give them even less. And yet, some still do (probably while reminiscing about happy times, when they got paid extra for every single IPv4 address; well, many still enjoy that in present).

RomelSan
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:24 am

A /64 provision is a little mean from your ISP. I guess at one level you should be happy that the ISP provides any IPv6 connectivity, many still don't.

The ISP I use provides a routed /48, with a seperate /64 Network Discovery Prefix. This is used to automatically address the WAN interface of my Router. In other words, I get a full /48 to play with. I'm not sure what they think I'm going to do with it, but it's what they provide as standard to all of their customers.
Yeah, a whole /48 as a standard would be nice.
but... i will have to wait... :lol:

RomelSan
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:37 am

I remember it used to be recommended to give /48 to every customer. It's easy to work with (whole one part between two colons belongs to customer for subnetting) and while it's huge overkill for most customers, there's enough addresses to go around. Regular ISP starts with /32, it's enough for 65k customers with /48 each. And if there's more customers, ISP can get more addresses. It also means up to 65k subnets for each customer, which is crazy and wasteful, so the revised idea is to give that only to bigger ones and /56 to small ones. It's not like e.g. a home user will use 256 networks anytime soon, but it's something to work with in future, if it becomes standard minimum and can be safely assumed that it's available everywhere. ISP with just one /32 can have 16M customers with /56 each. So there's no sensible reason why any ISP would give them even less. And yet, some still do (probably while reminiscing about happy times, when they got paid extra for every single IPv4 address; well, many still enjoy that in present).
Agreed.
For Residential should be:
At least a /60 so the prefix allows 16 subnets.
/56 allows 256 subnets. (Best for home users, i can't think what to do with something bigger than this...)
"they got paid extra for every single IPv4 address; well, many still enjoy that in present" --> :lol: indeed.
"Regular ISP starts with /32" --> didn't knew this --> Thanks for the info.
8)