Community discussions

MikroTik App

MikroKid66
just joined
Topic Author

User Access via SSH, Telnet and Console

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Newish to RouterOS. I want to disable the 'admin' username. I have set up a new user with 'full' access. The default admin user can access via web, SSH, local and Telnet. The new user can access via web only.

When I log on with the new user, it briefly displays the default Mikrotik banner, but then logs out and I get the login prompt again.

Any ideas what I am missing?

Thanks in advance

Pete

thinkdone
just joined

Re: User Access via SSH, Telnet and Console

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:02 pm

please clarify you like to have "new user" admin rights ?
follow the link for furhter checking https://mikrotik.com/documentation/manu ... Users.html
for services plz follow the attached image .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: User Access via SSH, Telnet and Console

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:29 am

@MikroKid66: If I understood you correctly, you want to create new user with full access. You want to give him access via all mentioned services, but it does not work, right? (If I misunderstood you, let me know and probably ignore rest of my answer).
To be honest, I have never had such issue and I do this with every new device as part of default script after config reset. Disconnection is commonly caused by unstable connection. (either due to network or cpu) I tried to simulate this behavior by removing policies but I never achieved person being logged in and then disconnected. If user does not have access rights, he is simply not allowed to log in at all.
Due to that, I do not think it has something to do with your user settings, but to make sure, could you please do command
/user export hide-sensitive
and send us result? Feel free to change usernames (or any other personal info) to for example "USER_1" "USER_2" etc...

Are you trying both users from same computer, ideally together? (for example two winbox instances next to each other, one with logged admin, second trying to log in the new user). In order to find the issue, we should rule out each possibility one-by-one. Suggested test with two winbox instances should rule out network instability.
Let us know result :) Meanwhile, I will keep my fingers crossed that you find the issue