Community discussions

MikroTik App

dewitto
just joined
Topic Author

Ethernet over power and PPPOE

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi guys need some help.
I have fibre connection to Ethernet over power net next device plugged into Mikrotik on ETH1 for PPPOE getting connection from other Ethernet over power thats connected to ISP.
Works great no issue.

But now I have other ETH over power device in other room but it does not get a IP from mikrotik and I asume it's because ETH1 is PPPOE so how can I get DHCP on ETH1 aswell so ETH over power device can give me IP on other device.

PORTS 2 - 5 has other device plugged in and also working Wifi 2.4 and 5 G working also fine.

Thanks
Okker

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Re: Ethernet over power and PPPOE

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:53 am

I'm not sure if you are confusing the two:
PPPoE = Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet
PoE = Power over Ethernet

Best will be to provide your current Mikrotik config so we can see what you have and what is needed, you can do this via Winbox-->Terminal, run command export hide sensitive and post results here

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:04 am

poe = Power - Dont apply to dhcp, static or pppoe ip - thats a different thing. Poe - You can have from whatever poe device you use. With or without ethernet connection. If you provie a ethernet connection - let say gigabit ethernet ( layer1 ) you can have a dhcp,pppoe, static ip (l3) - or whatever you want at l2 ( bridge, vlan etc)

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:17 am

Hi guys need some help.
I have fibre connection to Ethernet over power net next device plugged into Mikrotik on ETH1 for PPPOE getting connection from other Ethernet over power thats connected to ISP.
Works great no issue.

But now I have other ETH over power device in other room but it does not get a IP from mikrotik and I asume it's because ETH1 is PPPOE so how can I get DHCP on ETH1 aswell so ETH over power device can give me IP on other device.

PORTS 2 - 5 has other device plugged in and also working Wifi 2.4 and 5 G working also fine.

Thanks
Okker
Pffffffffffff Okker can't you explain any more difficult?

So you connect to the NTU-fiber connection with Ethernet over the powerline with two Powernet adapters. Those two are matched and the connection is encoded. Now you got a third one and you exchanged keys and they connect. The problem is that you are connected to port one and so getting the PPPoE traffic that is between the fiber and port one.

If you want a second connection with DHCP etc you have to get a fourth Powernet adapter and connect the new one to the third one and plug four it in a free port.

When you match you might have to unplug number one and two till three and four connect. Then you can plug all four in and connect four to the router.