Community discussions

MikroTik App

mujagawudakhi
Topic Author

VPN tunnel

Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi,

I've configured site to site VPN. I'ts a PPTP. I've added static routes so that I can reach LAN from one location and vice versa.
The problem is when the VPN tunnel is online, browsing speed becomes very slow on my PC, or doesn't work at all for some sites on the location where the Mikrotik site to site client is(Internet speeds are normally OK ~120/15 Mbps).

Basically I'ts like this.
1 - my primary location (Mikrotik PPTP client)
2 - my secondary location (Mikrotik PPTP VPN server)

1 >>PPTP VPN TUNNEL >> 2

On the location 1, browsing for certain sites becomes very slow, or even impossible when the VPN tunnel is active, the loading keeps on going and going.
When I disconnect the VPN tunnel, the browsing speed go back to normal. When I connect on the VPN through my Windows client on the PPTP server, everything is fine, so I'm definitely sure there is something that I need to adjust on my Mikrotik where the PPTP client connection is established - Am I right?

Both devices are HAP lites on the lates Routerboard OS.

Does it has to do something with DNS when the tunnel is active, MTU on the PPTP server side? On the PPTP client side the default route is not ticked - tried it both ways, still not good. Both Mikrotik CPU's are below 10% when the connection is active. I'm no expert and I've would surely appreciate help. :)

Any ideas?
Thanks,
MuWu

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VPN tunnel

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Try EoIP and add routes to put traffic in the tunnel. Provides for better encryption and deals better with MTU.

mujagawudakhi
Topic Author

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Ho, thnx for the reply. Can you provide a little bit more help with the EoIP config in my case?

GregorN
just joined

Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:46 pm

I am using a GRE Tunnel to another site and it keeps going up and down as if it weren't there, When checking the logs it reads phase one negotiation failed due to uptime, then specifies the WAN Addresses and [500] for both addresses. any help would be appreciated.

mujagawudakhi
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi,

I've configured site to site VPN. I'ts a PPTP. I've added static routes so that I can reach LAN from one location and vice versa.
The problem is when the VPN tunnel is online, browsing speed becomes very slow on my PC, or doesn't work at all for some sites on the location where the Mikrotik site to site client is(Internet speeds are normally OK ~120/15 Mbps).

Basically I'ts like this.
1 - my primary location (Mikrotik PPTP client)
2 - my secondary location (Mikrotik PPTP VPN server)

1 >>PPTP VPN TUNNEL >> 2

On the location 1, browsing for certain sites becomes very slow, or even impossible when the VPN tunnel is active, the loading keeps on going and going.
When I disconnect the VPN tunnel, the browsing speed go back to normal. When I connect on the VPN through my Windows client on the PPTP server, everything is fine, so I'm definitely sure there is something that I need to adjust on my Mikrotik where the PPTP client connection is established - Am I right?

Both devices are HAP lites on the lates Routerboard OS.

Does it has to do something with DNS when the tunnel is active, MTU on the PPTP server side? On the PPTP client side the default route is not ticked - tried it both ways, still not good. Both Mikrotik CPU's are below 10% when the connection is active. I'm no expert and I've would surely appreciate help. :)

Any ideas?
Thanks,
MuWu
anyone?