Community discussions

MikroTik App

ferdoushasan
just joined
Topic Author

Block youtube on specific physical port

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Hello,

I recently got myself a MikroTik router, but its a bit too advanced for me so I'm here asking if you know how to do this. What I want to do is block a port on the router from accessing some websites like facebook, youtube etc (one of the physical ports). Let's say port 3 as an example. So anything I plug into port 3 would get LAN access but would be unable to access the facebook/youtube. Would that be possible?

Regards,
Ferdous

Anumrak
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Block youtube on specific physical port

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:30 pm

It depends on which layer you want to block traffic, 2, 3, 4 or 7. Choose some and act based on layer data.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Block youtube on specific physical port

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:59 pm

I believe you need to conduct layer 7 programming.
TLS-HOST programming is also a new tool that may help curb https access to such sites.
http://www.mikrotik.co.id/artikel_lihat.php?id=282 (need to translate)

Best to research this and then come back with specific questions.
Did you simply want to detect users going to sites or block access to sites.
It may be easier just to detect and then remove users from access to the router......... BIG STICK approach. :-)
Use a fine approach. First offense, lose access for a day, reinstated for $25
Second offense 5 days, reinstate for $50
Third offense one month, $100 ......... etc . :-)

As another poster in another thread wisely stated............
{pe1chi}
"You will have to understand that there are different agendas here, and the large and powerful companies are working to make it unrealistic to block their services while the small connectivity providers want to block things they don't see as useful or they feel are overloading their limited connections.
There are many topics about this on the forum, and everywhere you see the "solutions" that fail to achieve their goal (blocking) but in the meantime have undesired effects like blocking of unrelated services and overloading the router.
Unless you have unlimited amount of time and a good budget, you better not try to achieve your bandwidth limiting objectives by "blocking youtube". It is a lost race.
And when you need to "block facebook" e.g. because your employees are spending their worktime on their phones instead of on their job, you better use other methods to achieve better productivity. Blocking isn't going to work well and it will need continuous maintenance and attention."