Community discussions

MikroTik App

Joedeath332
just joined
Topic Author

I need help but not sure what help to ask for...

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:44 am

Hi i have the Mikrotik map 2n which is meant to be our wireless hotspot in our motorhome , with the internet being obtained by a Nanostation loco m2 which is connected to the Mikrotik map 2n via an ethernet cable into Ethernet 2 POE out port of the map 2n.
I have been able to connect the Loco m2 directly to the laptop and use it to obtain internet ok from other hotspots , but i want to be able to create a wireless hotspot inside the motorhome with the Mikrotik map 2n when it is connected to the Loco m2.
Thanks.

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: I need help but not sure what help to ask for...

Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:12 am

Can you elaborate on how this connection should be working? where is your main internet connection coming in from? Have you done any configuration at all on the MikroTik? if not, it will need to be configured to connect to what ever network the nanostation is pointed to.

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:40 am

In the Quickset of the mAP 2, set it to WISP AP. This adds the Ethernet and Wireless interface to a bridge. Then set it to a static address outside the DHCP range you set on the Nanostation. Now when you connect them together and connect to the wireless of the mAP, you should have Internet and be able to access both device.

Joedeath332
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:37 pm

In the Quickset of the mAP 2, set it to WISP AP. This adds the Ethernet and Wireless interface to a bridge. Then set it to a static address outside the DHCP range you set on the Nanostation. Now when you connect them together and connect to the wireless of the mAP, you should have Internet and be able to access both device.

Hi thanks for the help 2frogs , atm i have done a factory reset on the nano , then did the following :
Set the ip to 192.168.2.1
set the dhcp range to 192.168.2.2 >>>> 192.168.2.254
When the nano is connected to the laptop via Ethernet / power supply i am able to connect to it ok on 192.168.2.1 and select a hotspot for it to connect to.
With the mikrotik map 2n i have also done a factory reset the went to Quickset and set it to WISP AP then set the mode to BRIDGE , is that correct ? i also tried router.
Then i set the static ip to 10.20.30.40 and the gateway to 192.168.2.2 ( i also tried 192.168.2.1 ) but none worked.
now atm when i try 192.168.2.1 i connected to the router OS for the mikrotik , with no option to select a different internet source.
What am i doing wrong as i feel like i'm drowning and out of my depth :D :D

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:07 pm

Lets make sure we are all on the same page here. you set the IP on the nanostation to 192.168.2.1\24 (assuming the subnet is \24 255.255.255.0). so I assume the Nanostation is pointed at a WiFi router somewhere. What IP address are you trying to access on the router that the Nanostation is pointed at? you said you set the DHCP range on the nanostation to 192.168.2.2-254? if thats the case, you are trying to use the nanostation in router mode. I have not done anything with the router mode, but I have been told that it doesnt work quite like you would expect it to. so First things first, what is the Nanostation pointed to? If you have access to that device, you can set the nanostation with an IP that will allow it to connect to that router, or go into that router and set a static address for your nanostation. That process will vary depending on what brand/model that router is. The Nanostation should be set to Bridge because in bridge mode it basically acts like an ethernet cable. This will let your MikroTik work as if it were plugged directly to the other router.

There are several options here, but we really need to know more of the entire picture to know how to set things up. Is this something where you go to a campground and just point the Nanostation at a hotspot to get internet and the Mikrotik is just used to redistribute the WiFi signal in the motor home? If so, setting the nano station to Bridge mode, and bridging the ports in the MikroTik would be a good start.

Joedeath332
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:04 am

Hi the nanostation will be used to connect to different hotpots while we travel around in the motorhome, hotpots like BT open zone , mc Donald's etc, then I want to use the micro tik to create its own hot-spot in the motorhome from that same signal, so we can connect our phones etc to that hot spot.

kd7vea
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:44 am

Do you have a need for private network in your motorhome? I have not got very deep into this type of configuration, but I believe what you can do is set your nanostation to Station mode under wireless networking, give it an address (192.168.2.1), this will act like a Lan cable at this point. Set your router to Router mode in the quickfig and set the address aquisition to automatic. plug the nanostation into eth1/WAN port of the mikrotik. under IP tab in mikrotik set up a DHCP server with what ever range you want . so what you will want to do at this point is when you go to a campsite, you will need to connect to your Nanostation at 192.168.2.1 and go to the wireless tab and for SSID, you will click select, a pop up will come up, then you select the SSID you want to connect to. save the config and you should be able to connect at this point. If you dont need a private network, you could just go from your POE injector into a Ubiquiti air gateway, then out of the airGateway into your nanostation. That is kind of what the AirGateway is designed to do.

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:22 am

Hi thanks for the help 2frogs , atm i have done a factory reset on the nano , then did the following :
When the nano is connected to the laptop via Ethernet / power supply i am able to connect to it ok on 192.168.2.1 and select a hotspot for it to connect to.
With the mikrotik map 2n i have also done a factory reset the went to Quickset and set it to WISP AP then set the mode to BRIDGE , is that correct ? i also tried router.
Then i set the static ip to 10.20.30.40 and the gateway to 192.168.2.2 ( i also tried 192.168.2.1 ) but none worked.
now atm when i try 192.168.2.1 i connected to the router OS for the mikrotik , with no option to select a different internet source.
Change the DHCP range on the Nanostation to 192.168.2.3-192.168.2.254. Then set the mAP to a static IP of 192.168.2.2 with Gateway and DNS both of 192.168.2.1. Really you should be able to set any static IP with setting the Gateway or DNS and it still work. Make these changes and if you still can not connect through the mAP, open a New Terminal and post the results of /export hide-sensitive so we can help you further.

Joedeath332
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:45 am

Change the DHCP range on the Nanostation to 192.168.2.3-192.168.2.254. Then set the mAP to a static IP of 192.168.2.2 with Gateway and DNS both of 192.168.2.1. Really you should be able to set any static IP with setting the Gateway or DNS and it still work. Make these changes and if you still can not connect through the mAP, open a New Terminal and post the results of /export hide-sensitive so we can help you further.
Thanks everyone for the help so far :)
ok 2frogs i have tried the above and still could not get it working :( so i have included an exported report.

[admin@MikroTik] > /export
# jan/02/1970 00:13:24 by RouterOS 6.40.3
# software id = BZ6H-E2VJ
#
# model = RouterBOARD mAP 2nD
# serial number = 7E2F******7D
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=CC:2D:E0:**:**:2F auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto mode=ap-bridge ssid=MikroTik-157931 wireless-protocol=802.11
/ip neighbor discovery
set ether1 discover=no
/interface list
add comment=defconf name=WAN
add comment=defconf name=LAN
/ip pool
add name=dhcp ranges=192.168.88.10-192.168.88.254
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp disabled=no interface=bridge name=defconf
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=wlan1
/interface list member
add comment=defconf interface=bridge list=LAN
add comment=defconf interface=ether1 list=WAN
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 comment=defconf interface=ether2 network=192.168.88.0
add address=192.168.2.2/8 interface=ether1 network=192.0.0.0
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 comment=defconf gateway=192.168.88.1
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=192.168.2.1
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.88.1 name=router.lan
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept established,related,untracked" connection-state=established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMP" protocol=icmp
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all not coming from LAN" in-interface-list=!LAN
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept in ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept out ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=out,ipsec
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" connection-state=established,related
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept established,related, untracked" connection-state=established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat connection-state=new in-interface-list=WAN
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="defconf: masquerade" ipsec-policy=out,none out-interface-list=WAN
/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=192.168.2.1
/tool mac-server
set [ find default=yes ] disabled=yes
add interface=bridge
/tool mac-server mac-winbox
add interface=bridge
[admin@MikroTik] >

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:42 pm

It looks like the Quick-set is not doing it's job correctly. if you are familiar with Winbox, I would suggest resetting the mAP without a configuration. Then connect to it with Winbox using the MAC address (it should show in the Neighbors tab). Once connected, you can paste the following in a New Terminal and it will configure it to work the way you want. If you are using Webfig, you can use the following as a guide to what is needed and remove all other settings.
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=CC:2D:E0:**:**:2F auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto mode=ap-bridge ssid=MikroTik-157931 wireless-protocol=802.11
/ip neighbor discovery
set ether1 discover=no
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=wlan1
/ip address
add address=192.168.2.2/24 interface=bridge network=192.168.2.0
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=no servers=192.168.2.1
/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=192.168.2.1
/tool mac-server
add interface=bridge
/tool mac-server mac-winbox
add interface=bridge

Joedeath332
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks 2frogs when I get back home I'll try the above using winbox. When you say without a configuration can you do that in winbox, or is it just a reset by holding in the reset button on map 2n whilst powering it on.

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:16 pm

After resetting the mAP and then login with Winbox, you have an option to remove current configuration. Or even better, at some point Reset-Configuration was added to System menu, just check mark "No Default Configuration" and click "Reset Configuration".

Joedeath332
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:33 pm

After resetting the mAP and then login with Winbox, you have an option to remove current configuration. Or even better, at some point Reset-Configuration was added to System menu, just check mark "No Default Configuration" and click "Reset Configuration".
Thanks will try that once home. Thankyou