Community discussions

upnort
Topic Author

Updating firmware

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:51 pm

I am looking for best practices with updating firmware.

Browsing through the forum indicates that overwhelmingly most people have no issues updating firmware. But there are notable corner cases where people post that something breaks after an update.

After reading around the web and wiki, seems the following should work:

* Note the current version.
* Perform both binary and script export backups.
* Download and save the current version npk.
* Update the device to the latest version.
* Perform another binary and script export backups.
* Compare the script export backups for significant or notable differences, if any.

Does this seem like a sane approach?

What happens if something breaks or the update bricks the device?

What kind of tests can be performed to ensure the firmware is not causing problems?

If the device remains accessible, "downgrade" to the previous version and restore from the binary backup? If that resolves the problem then report the issue?

If the device is no longer accessible after updating, then what?

Thanks much. :)

k6ccc

Re: Updating firmware

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:03 am

Funny you should bring this up today. This morning I updated both of my RB750s from 6.42.1 to 6.42.6 and updated the firmware on both from quite old to current. The upgrades went very well. I already have a scheduled script to do a daily backup and export, so I have a good baseline. I had not planned on doing a comparison unless problems are observed.
RB750Gr3, RB750r2, CRS326-24G-2S (in SwitchOS), CSS326-24G-2S, CSS106-5G-1S, RB260GS
Not sure if I beat them in submission, or they beat me into submission

Jim

k6ccc

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:01 am

Taking your thought, I did a comparison of the Saturday night and Sunday night script files for both routers - before and after my updates Sunday morning. There were only two differences. First is that the software version was different. Well, it darn well better be! Second was a login script that writes a comment into the script so it knows the last time that the script detected a new logon or logoff. Since I had logged in several times during the upgrade process this morning, it obviously had changed. Everything else was the same.
RB750Gr3, RB750r2, CRS326-24G-2S (in SwitchOS), CSS326-24G-2S, CSS106-5G-1S, RB260GS
Not sure if I beat them in submission, or they beat me into submission

Jim

upnort
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Do I understand correctly there are TWO updates to perform -- the 1) RouterOS and 2) firmware -- and this requires TWO reboots?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:10 pm

Do I understand correctly there are TWO updates to perform -- the 1) RouterOS and 2) firmware -- and this requires TWO reboots?
Yes.
BR,
Metod