Community discussions

MikroTik App

MicrotikUser
Topic Author

No internet

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:50 am

Hello,recently i purchased a RB951Ui-2nD haP series device and when i plug the router into my modem it seems that RouterOS cant get an address from the modem. To test this i attached the MicroTik device to an existing router, and it both reserved an address and i was able to access the internet. Anyone have any ideas?, it seems to work, but not when connected directly to the modem.

2frogs
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: No internet

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Does your modem hand out DHCP or did you forget to setup a PPPoE-Client on the Mikrotik?

proximus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: No internet  [SOLVED]

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 pm

This a cable modem? When you change the attached device, you need to either clone the MAC from the current one, or just reboot the modem.

MicrotikUser
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Does your modem hand out DHCP or did you forget to setup a PPPoE-Client on the Mikrotik?
Yes i believe so, i did manage to fix the problem by unplugging the modem. Not sure why a modem would require MAC addresses to match but it does.

MicrotikUser
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:38 pm

This a cable modem? When you change the attached device, you need to either clone the MAC from the current one, or just reboot the modem.
Yes, this was the problem, thanks.

proximus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:11 pm

Yes i believe so, i did manage to fix the problem by unplugging the modem. Not sure why a modem would require MAC addresses to match but it does.
So the cable companies can charge you for additional IP addresses.
The modem will only allow the first MAC address seen to get an IP address. It doesn't matter what it is .. just the first. That's why a new device with a different MAC requires a modem reboot, to clear out the old one. Or, if you clone, then the new device looks just like the old one ... and no modem reboot is required.

MicrotikUser
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:51 pm

So the cable companies can charge you for additional IP addresses.
The modem will only allow the first MAC address seen to get an IP address. It doesn't matter what it is .. just the first. That's why a new device with a different MAC requires a modem reboot, to clear out the old one. Or, if you clone, then the new device looks just like the old one ... and no modem reboot is required.
Wow, i didn't know that; that's shady. Recently i upgraded my internet and they gave us a new modem the last modem did not do this.