Community discussions

MikroTik App

Riivz
just joined
Topic Author

Quest network download limit

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:33 am

Hi
I have a Mikrotik RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT with 6.42.7 firmware. It uses default config and I created a quest network. All works fine but I want to add a download limit per client to the quest network. I made a simple queue but it didn't work.Because my router has 2,4Ghz and 5 Ghz bands I have 2 virtual wireless networks. On the simple queues window I made 2 queues, 1 for wireless wlan3(first virtual network) and 1 for wlan4(second virtual network). On the queue I selected wlan3 for the target and set the max limit for upload 128k and download to 256k. Did the same for wlan4. As I said this did nothing. So I googled a bit and found a that I need to change these settings:
/interface bridge settings
set use-ip-firewall=yes
After doing that only the upload speed was limited but I want to limit the download speed too.
Does anyone know what I must do so the download speed is limited to 256k?

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Quest network download limit

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:30 pm

The queues may not have worked if the interfaces you specified were part of a guest bridge. Try applying 1 simple queue to the bridge rather than the interfaces and you should find it starts working.

Riivz
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:23 pm

Wont this limit all the wlan-s download speed? I want wlan1 wlan2 have no limit and wlan 3 wlan4 have limited download speeds.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:52 pm

So you've got a guest network that you want to slow down but they are still a member of your "private" LAN?

You'd be better going down the slightly longer route and splitting them off with their own "guest" bridge and IP range to separate them from your LAN and it will give you much more control.

**To answer you, yes it would slow the entire bridge down which you probably don't want to do if you simply did what I suggested in my first reply.

Riivz
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks for the advice but it doesn't seam to work ether. Here's what I did:
1. Reset mikrotik
2. Using the default settings. Changed the Network name and added Guest Network named Avalik.
3. Created new bridge named Avalik and added wlan3 (guest network interface 2,4Ghz band) and wlan4 (guest network interface 5Ghz band) to the bridge
3. Added a Address list to interface Avalik (the new bridge)
4. Added a IP pool
5. Added a DHCP server that uses the new IP pool
6. Added a new network under Dhcp server. Now the Avalik network uses the new dhcp server and internet works. I get 22,4 Mbps download speed on speedtest app
7. Added a simple queue named Avalik and the target is bridge named Avalik. Upload limit is 128k and download 256k.
Thing is that the upload and download limits still don't work.
I added a picture of my configuration and on the bridge window u can see that the bridge shows 25.1Mbps download but queue window shows 53,6 kbps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Quest network download limit  [SOLVED]

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:55 pm

do you have fasttrack enable in firewall rules? disable it.
i prefer to make simple queues targeting the subnet than interface. like 192.168.88.0/24. if you want to limit clients in that subnet play with pcq-upload and pcq-download and set the rate you want there.

Riivz
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Wohoo, disabling fasttrack helped. The limits work with both subnets and bridge as target.
Thank you all.