Community discussions

MikroTik App

rightwire
just joined
Topic Author

Distinguishing between clients' routers

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:26 pm

Greetings! I'm quite a newbie with MikroTik though I've been dabbling for three years or so. I have about two dozen routers in the field, mostly in residential applications with simple setups. In WinBox, when I've logged in to one for the first time remotely (using the dns from .mynetname), I'll hit Add/Set to add it to my list of managed routers. The "Note" column populates with a client name (the name I've given a router). But the next time I do this same process for the next client, the "Note" column will have the same client name as the previous! Randomly, the "Note" column has twice spit out a new name. So right now I have just three names spread across a dozen customers, forcing me to remember who is who by their unique url? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help you may offer.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Distinguishing between clients' routers

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 am

You can set the "Note" to anything you darn well please.

rightwire
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:15 pm

That's what I would assume. I just can't figure out how to do it. Like so much else with MikroTik, it's only "intuitive" once you've been shown lol.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Normally you would have one of the existing routers selected, you edit the name and note, and click add/set to add it to the list.
You can also edit the note later, but it is best to do it when adding so you know which one it is before it falls in the sorted list.

Of course you also set the "identity" of each router (system->identity) so you know which router you have connected once the window
is open.

rightwire
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:15 am

OK I finally got it. In WinBox - before connecting to a router - you must select Tools > Advanced Mode at the top left to get to edit the Note. I'd never seen Advanced Mode before; glad I stumbled on it. Thanks guys for trying to point me there.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:44 am

Ahh of course... after having this enabled for a long time one forgets that it is even there...

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Ahh of course... after having this enabled for a long time one forgets that it is even there...
Yep! Same here...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Maybe we should suggest to remove it or enable it by default...