Community discussions

MikroTik App

smathev
just joined
Topic Author

MultiCast between VLANS (Chromecast vlan1) to/from (PC/Mobile vlan2)

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi all.

So, I've probably made my home network unecessarily complicated, but I've done it so I might later use access-lists to control what homepages/adresses my streaming devices could access.

Anyway, I've created a couple of Vlans:
One for my user-devices (phones, tablets, computers, etc.)
One for my streaming devices (Chromecast, SmartTV, etc.).

Now, I want to be able to cast/connect between my phone and my chromecast devices, so I've been trying to set that up.

I've read and tried the example from the Wiki, but that didn't really help me. I'm still unable to find and connect to the Chromecast from within apps on my phone, when they are on separate vlans. I've tested that it works as long as I'm on the same vlan with both devices - so it's a question of VLans, Multicast and Firewall-rules in my mind, but I'm simply unable to make it work.

Things I've tried and followed:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:M ... ed_example
viewtopic.php?t=117759 (I don't quite know where or how to add the last filter he talks about, but I have tried adding the group as a source-adress list in a firewall-forward rule?)

I'm fairly certain that what I want to do is doable, I just don't understand how to make it work.

Thanks in advance!

Xtremer
just joined

Re: MultiCast between VLANS (Chromecast vlan1) to/from (PC/Mobile vlan2)

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 pm

I have the same issue, and I a'm also interests in a solution to get this working.
Anybody?

lightmanster
just joined

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi

Same problem here. Chromecast is in wifi vlan, and laptops are cabled. Stil want to cast.
Anyone a suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

pickeld
just joined

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:05 pm

Hey.
Did anyone managed to get this to work?

Thanks

jvparis
just joined

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:05 am

Hi,

I didn't find a solution using RouterOS. But using an avahi-reflector on a simple linux-box (that has interfaces in all participating VLANs) is working just fine in my scenario (IOT- and streaming-devices like Chromecast on different subnet).

Just search the web: Avahi Reflector

Best

drtik
just joined

Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:04 am

Hi guys, is there any mikrotik baked in solution to this?. I'd appreciate it if you could direct me to the right way of doing it if possible
Thanks

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:14 am

No there is no real way to do this - unless you properly bridge the VLAN's making them 1 big broadcast domain anyways in a sense.

The correct way it seems is to use an avahi reflector so a server that has visibility to both networks and just relays the discovery packets between them. From my understanding the discovery packets are just taht and the TCP connection going via router is still fine so it doesnt need to be a highly specced machine at all (think RPi or something)

drtik
just joined

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:27 am

Many thanks for your response.
It's just a shame that a capable os doesn't have a process to handle multicast across bridge/vlans!
It just seems an overlook :(
It's easily done on ubiquity and pfsense!

Thanks again

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 am

It's just a shame that a capable os doesn't have a process to handle multicast across bridge/vlans!
No, it's not.
The topic is about link-local multicast and that's the way it is supposed to work.
routerOS does in fact offer "real" multicast routing with PIM and multicast package.
-Chris

drtik
just joined

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:33 pm

No, it's not.
The topic is about link-local multicast and that's the way it is supposed to work.
routerOS does in fact offer "real" multicast routing with PIM and multicast package.
-Chris
That's great :D
I'd be ever so grateful if you kindly could direct me to a tutorial to show me how to use Chromecast across 2 bridges with different subnets.

Thanks

bl00dy
just joined

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:05 am

Hello,

Not sure how you can implement it with RouterOS. But there is a solutions from other vendors.
1) http://www.cron.dk/edgerouter-and-chromecast/.
2) https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink ... ID=FD45560

If you know how to implement the same on Mikrotik, that's would be excelent.

Ed

RackKing

Sun May 10, 2020 2:09 pm

No, it's not.
-Chris
Hi Chris

Can you provide some hints on how to use those PIM to make chromecast across VLAN?

Thank you.

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun May 10, 2020 3:02 pm

No, it's not.
-Chris
Hi Chris
Can you provide some hints on how to use those PIM to make chromecast across VLAN?
Thank you.
I've found this link for Fortinet on how to make Chromecast work across subnets.

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink ... ID=FD45560

And perhaps combined with some Mikrotik voodoo to adapt the TTL somehow so the multicast-packets could make it to the other subnet??

http://gregsowell.com/?p=2139

I've kept my home-network pretty simple so I'm not affected by these things.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 10, 2020 3:47 pm

Concur, casting is a kludge to begin with. Get proper devices so that casting is not required ;-P