Community discussions

MikroTik App

prelim
just joined
Topic Author

wAP-LTE tunneling behind NAT LTE

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:28 pm

I have a wAP LTE that is connecting to a UK MNO, EE.

I have been trying to get a dual-stack connection working, but after lots of attempts is seems that EE does not support it. The reason was to allow inbound connections through the router.

I am now trying to change tack and looking at setting up a cloud server instance, using it to terminate some form of tunnelled connection to the wAP LTE. There are a bunch of tutorials showing how to configure RouterOS protocols like GRE, L2TP, etc. where clients are connecting behind NAT, but I've struggled to find any where it's the routerOS board that is behind NAT.

I wondered if anyone on the board had already gone through this and had any recommendations? I have a cloud virtual instance that is not behind NAT running Ubuntu 16.04.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Chris

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wAP-LTE tunneling behind NAT LTE

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Many MNOs don't allow connections from internet to mobile devices even if mobile devices get real public IP addresses. So it's better to have "mobile device", wAP LTE in your case, to initiate creation of tunneled connection. It us much easier to handle possible changes of IP address in case of disconnections.

prelim
just joined
Topic Author

Re: wAP-LTE tunneling behind NAT LTE

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi there,

Thanks and sorry I was not clear before; I definitely intend for the wAP LTE to initiate outbound connections, I was interested in whether people had any recommendations on protocol (in this case the 'server' would be my Linux cloud instance).

Thanks,
Chris