Community discussions

MikroTik App

rollend
just joined
Topic Author

Proper model and settings for small ofice

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:52 pm

We are small office 9about 40 m2) and we want to buy a suitable Microtik model to combine 2 vendors, as there is often no connection with the current vendor. The office has 1 server and 4 desktops. There is a requirement to have a static server address as it is accessed from the outside.

The question is which model should we target, possibly with gigabit ports? We stopped MikroTik hAP ac², is it suitable for that?

My other question is where you can read about its setup - the idea is to have an uninterrupted connection.

Thanks very much in advance!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Proper model and settings for small ofice

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Assuming you need wifi?
Will your company move to fiber or strictly ethernet cabling?
Will the # of devices likely increase, decrease or stay the same?
You didnt mention other devices, printers?

rollend
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:34 pm

Sorry for uncompleteness -
Assuming you need wifi? - Yes we need wifi for visitors (smartphones, laptops , ect)
Will your company move to fiber or strictly ethernet cabling? - For now - ethernet cabling, but we think about fiber in the future.
Will the # of devices likely increase, decrease or stay the same? - 1 server, 4 destops, 2 printers
You didnt mention other devices, printers? - 2 printers
Also could you suggest me link or tutorial for set up 2 wan ISP on mikrotik model that you think can be more efficient?
Thanks!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:58 pm

How big is the office space and area that customers will be using WIFI.
Will staff be using wifi devices as well for work or personal use, tablets, smart phones etc.......
Will there be any other business wifi requirements.

As for dual WAN
- Depends on requirements, will you be using one WAN and the second WAN for backup (fail over only) or will you be using one for WORK and one for Clients/customers etc...

By the way, this looks like an awesome small office unit!! P1/(P2) WAN, P3-P10 PCs/Printers, SFP spare (future fiber input for WAN)
https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_5hacq2hnd_in

nostromog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:15 am

... a suitable Microtik model to combine 2 vendors, as there is often no connection with the current vendor.
We did something similar (but for load balance) recently, in an office a bit bigger than yours and IT, so with heavy
use things such as git or docker images...

The office has 1 server and 4 desktops. There is a requirement to have a static server address as it is accessed from the outside.

We stopped MikroTik hAP ac², is it suitable for that?
Ours was bigger as in 3 servers, 4 heavy desktops and 4 heavy use laptops and have a lot of services in the cloud, so we settle down for an h AP ac, with better Wifi and a bit more memory.
Still it is a small box, but enough for its job. I liked it so much that I bought another one for home.

My other question is where you can read about its setup - the idea is to have an uninterrupted connection.
What I did is start with a relatively clean configuration, using the "Home AP Dual" as a base. You can "tick" the VPN box, and later use it as a pattern to add more users if you need.
After I gat a basic configuration I switched to ssh and started using

/ export file=config-2018-10-10-01
scp'ing it out and editing by hand to keep the "portions" that I liked. The "explainabilty" and modularity of RouterOS scripting
and the manual https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:TOC are the things that I like most of it, after the price ;)

Tune your firewall if you desire so, https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... our_Router and open the ports for your server... The wiki has plety of good howtos.

For dual providers I removed ether2 from the bridge, set it up for our second WAN line, using ECMP with masquerade: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/ECMP_loa ... masquerade
(you might prefer a failover, specially if the backup one charges by use). If you second line is a 4G USB stick, instead of removing ether2, plug it, configure and use lte1.
We mostly use dyndns and it works quite well for our needs, but we have some static addresses for some machines.