Community discussions

MikroTik App

zorxd
just joined
Topic Author

no "home AP" mode in SXT Lite 2

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Hello

I am used to the wAP which we use as a plain access point (no routing, no NAT, no firewall). We use the "WISP AP" quick set mode and is working great.
I planned to do the same on the SXT Lite 2, which we bought instead of the wAP this time because of its more directional antenna. However there is no "WISP AP" or "Home AP" in quick set. Only "PTP bridge AP" which appears to have a major limitation: only 1 WiFi device can associate at a time.

Is there a way to configure this device into a simple access point (bridge between Ethernet and WiFi)?

thanks

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: no "home AP" mode in SXT Lite 2

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:46 pm

You can use bridging mode for just one client. For real multiclient ap you need license level 4.

zorxd
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:03 pm

Thanks

I should have bought something else. I never thought someone would sell a product with such a limitation.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:06 pm

It's meant to be a client or bridge with single client. Maybe you should not use quickset and rather read the wireless mode documentation. It may happen the device will perfectly fit your needs when you set it properly.

zorxd
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Yeah, I browsed through the options a little but didn't find any option limiting the number of associated devices. It is also not very clear on the wiki which particular feature or option is not present on license level 3.

I never though it would be so hard to configure a simple AP. Does anyone know if it's even possible with this device and its Level 3 license?

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:31 pm

No, it's not.

zorxd
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:35 pm

thanks, I'll stop wasting more time

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:21 am

Can you please share info about shop, where you got your device? Seems to me you were lured into purchase with incorrect info/specification promoted by your seller.

If mikrotik say only "License level 3", it might be confusing for new customers. I fully agree with that. However, official product page also clearly says
It can be used for point to point links or as a CPE for point to multipoint installations.
Furthermore, it is not in "wireless for home and office" section. Instead it is in "wireless systems" section which consists of specialized devices for WISP customers.

If shop sold it to you as ordinary "wifi ap" then I believe you should be eligible for return, as such practice is illegal almost all around the world.

zorxd
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:18 am

It's not the shop's fault. I didn't ask for advise or anything. I saw the notice that the device can be used as a point to point device. I just haven't imagined that it could mean that it can't even be used like any basic AP.

I thought the only difference between this and the wAP was that the antenna was directional.

I understand it is specialized hardware, but not why they would limit such a basic feature by software.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:40 am

point to point implies single unit on each end of the link
multiple client units are called 'point to multipoint' or AP or something like that

zorxd
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:49 pm

yes I understand point to point.

It's just that if I say that I can swim, it doesn't mean that I can't walk. It's not written on the product page that it can't operate in AP mode.

To me an AP is such a basic feature that I would have bet it is included in Level 1.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Therefore everyone should read the documentation first, or at least ask a dealer whether particular device will fit his needs.

You can sell this one and buy more appropriate device or buy and apply level 4 license to it.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:43 pm

the swim and walk analogy doesn't apply, since in this case AP is something more capable than CPE what you have.

You bought a car and ask why it doesn't fly.
While an airplane can ride on wheels.

zorxd
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:24 pm

This thing is both an AP and a CPE. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect two of them to perform a point to point wireless link.

Neither end of the link is more capable than the other, they just perform different roles. Anyways how many cars ask you to purchase a level 4 license before they can fly? When you purchase a car, do you read all the documentation to make sure all 5 seat belts can be used at once? Maybe there is a software limit to only 1 or 2 person, you never know.

This thing looks like an AP, has all the hardware of an AP, is an AP. It's only software limited to only one client association at a time. Just like I never expect a software limit on car seat belts, I never expected a so low limit (less than 5 or 10) on the number of device that can associate at the same time to this AP.

zorxd
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:35 pm

It seems the device is supported by OpenWRT. I might give it a try. Just in case anyone else has the same problem.

https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/mikrotik ... sxt_lite_2

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Return it to the seller with such argumentation. May happen he will accept that. No one else is guilty of the fact that you did not know what you bought.

zorxd
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:09 pm

I thought about it, but probably not worth it because of restocking fees and shipping fees. As I said the shop is not to blame.