Community discussions

MikroTik App

JDK189
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS freezes if I change the IP

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:49 am

Hey forum!

I have a basic-problem with my new MikroTik RB941-2nD-TC, Access Point.
I want to use it as a "Home AP" and use the Quick Set of the Router OS v6.43.2.

I want to change the IP-Adress of the Local Network, so it fits into my Fritz Home Network (for example: 192.168.178.4 instead of the default 192.168.88.1)
But if I change the IP and press "Apply Configuration" the whole OS freezes and I can't access to the MikroTik anymore (while I change the settings only my PC is connectet to one of the LAN ports and the Fritz Home Network is disconnected).

Am I doing something wrong? Or is my hardware device broken?

Thanks for the help!

marrold

Re: RouterOS freezes if I change the IP

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:56 am

You're changing the IP address of the router that you're accessing it via. So as soon as you change the IP your connection to the router is lost.

If you change the IP on the router, and then the IP on your PC, you should be able to reconnect.

Look into using "safe mode" so you don't get locked out next time.

JDK189
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Ok, that worked so far.

I set the intern IP adress of my Accesspoint to the IP I got from the FritzBox and deactivated DHCP on my accesspoint.
I changed my PC IP manually and I can connect to the accesspoint now.

The problem is now, that I don't have a internet connection with my pc. What can I do know?

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:52 pm

Ok, that worked so far.

I set the intern IP adress of my Accesspoint to the IP I got from the FritzBox and deactivated DHCP on my accesspoint.
I changed my PC IP manually and I can connect to the accesspoint now.

The problem is now, that I don't have a internet connection with my pc. What can I do know?
You can't have two subnets with the same address range on one device - that will never work properly.
What you need - is to set up an AP in bridge mode:
1) no firewall, no nat, no dhcp-server
2) just one bridge with all ports being members of it
3) and dhcp-client configured on that bridge, so the AP itself can get an address from fritzbox.

JDK189
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:08 pm

So maybe I should describe what's the plan for my network:

I want a accesspoint for my WiFi and for my LAN in a room which is some meters away from my Fritzbox.

The CAP in the Quick Set works quite good, but it doesn't extend my WiFi, so I just can connect to the internet per PC like a switch does.

Which Quick Set Mode should I use for my plan?
Basic AP
CAP
CPE
Home AP
PTP Bridge AP
PTP Bridge CPE
WISP AP

Sorry, but I'm quite a noob in that. I don't even know the meaning for all these shortcuts like "CPE" and "CAP" :?

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:01 pm

The closest quickset preset for you is WISP AP in a bridge mode.
But it is preconfigured with only one radio, and the second one disabled.
So you will need to configure the second radio manually.
Or you can go the "pro way" and configure everything from blank config without using quickset.

If you want to use radios on both fritzbox and cap - you can simply use the same ssid/password.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Here's the link to the similar thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=138366&p=682048#p681679

JDK189
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:44 pm

The closest quickset preset for you is WISP AP in a bridge mode.
But it is preconfigured with only one radio, and the second one disabled.
So you will need to configure the second radio manually.
Or you can go the "pro way" and configure everything from blank config without using quickset.

If you want to use radios on both fritzbox and cap - you can simply use the same ssid/password.
The WISP AP in a bridge mode doens't work at all. No Internet via LAN nor WLAN and I can't connect to the accesspoint again, so I have to do a OS reset.
I just have one radio with 2GHZ, no 5GHZ.
I think that the "pro way" will build much more problems or do you think it's easier?

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:03 pm

The WISP AP in a bridge mode doens't work at all. No Internet via LAN nor WLAN and I can't connect to the accesspoint again, so I have to do a OS reset.
In wisp ap bridge mode you need to connect cap to existing network with running dhcp server for it to work, it won't work standalone.
I just have one radio with 2GHZ, no 5GHZ.
I think that the "pro way" will build much more problems or do you think it's easier?
As "cAP AC" devices are now very often, so I was under the impression that you also have the "cAP AC" not the "cAP".
With cAP there's no need to configure from scratch - wisp AP will cover all the config for you.

JDK189
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:57 am

Well, the next day. I'm still trying to build up a simple AP and it still doesn't work... :(
It's even impossible to set the CAP with the Quick Set again :-/ If I choose that option and activate it it's impossible to connect to the AP again :( :( :(

Isn't there a step by step tutorial to build a AP which repeats the WIFI and the LAN (as a switch)? The DHCP ruled by my Fritzbox which is connected to the interenet?

It's so damn depressing... It feels like I need to have a IT Master to deal with all the words and shortcuts I can find in the config.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:12 am

Most reconfiguration involves change of device's IP address, which in turn invariantly means loss of (IP) connection. You can avoid being disconnected by using Winbox and connect via MAC address.

Using safe mode does not help here.

It is possible to reconfigure device to the desired config without being disconnected, but this rules out quickset.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:51 pm

Well, the next day. I'm still trying to build up a simple AP and it still doesn't work... :(
It's even impossible to set the CAP with the Quick Set again :-/ If I choose that option and activate it it's impossible to connect to the AP again :( :( :(

Isn't there a step by step tutorial to build a AP which repeats the WIFI and the LAN (as a switch)? The DHCP ruled by my Fritzbox which is connected to the interenet?

It's so damn depressing... It feels like I need to have a IT Master to deal with all the words and shortcuts I can find in the config.
After you change the behaviour to wisp ap (bridge) in quickset, you need to reconnect to it by its new ip, that it will get from fritzbox, not to 192.168.88.1