Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jacquo
just joined
Topic Author

Issues after upgrading

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:05 pm

I have recently performed an update on my rb450g. After some head scratching when I realised my network was only partially working I learned that as part of the upgrade the ports 2-5 configuration was changed from a "switch" to a new bridge, and this was partially implemented (across port2 master and port3 the first slave). I added the other 2 ports to the bridge. However further problems soon became apparent - the DHCP server was failing to hand out addresses to "some" of the network devices. In wireshark and the Mikrotik logs I can see the DHCP address offers but the device never Ack/accepts the address and doesn't connect. Frustratingly this is true of the Ubiquiti AP's (so no wifi) and the Amazon fire stick (so no TV). Before the upgrade everything had been working just fine for some time.

I have gone through the router configuration and can't see anything out of place - but I am not an expert.
Any ideas what to check?
Many thanks in advance.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Issues after upgrading

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:14 pm

First thing to check: RB's LAN IP address should be set on bridge (not on ether2 or any other member port). Also DHCP server should be bound to bridge and not to it's member ports ...

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 pm

Having the DHCP server and LAN IP bound to the bridge rather than the old master port is a great idea.

Also, if you haven't given the router a second reboot after the upgrade, you might want to try that. Occasionally it seems to take two reboots for the new config to take effect after and upgrade of RouterOS, not often but sometimes.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:38 am

Another suggestion: upgrade also firmware (a.k.a. bootloader) if you haven't already (system routerboard ..,)