Community discussions

MikroTik App

Dassault
just joined
Topic Author

Two wan Failover & Nat

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi all, im new to mikrotik and traying to setup a 760 with two wan interface and a simple two gateways with 2 distance set ( very basic but trying to go from easy to complex )

I saw many videos and see the examples im try for a week but im unable to made it work , sure is a silly thing but i cant see why

The config
- Ether1 = Wan1 - Distance 1 - Cablemodem Service with DHCP cliente ( working with internet access )
- Ether2 = Wan2 - Distance 10 - ADSL Line with ppoe with user and password ( working too with internet access )

Group two interface on one interface list name inet

Nat
- Create a simple rule chain scr nat ( i try here change src address , no interface out specify , put the group inet , etc )

All working ok and go for wan1 , pc , phone , table have internet

on microtick two dinamic route 0.0.0.0 with 1 and 10 distance , ether1 active , ether2 (blue inactive )

if i pull of the rj45 cable from ether1 , nat stop working , on mikrotik i see the change from ether1 to ether2 , and i can ping internet from mikrotik , but no one machine can browse with nat

Sorry my english and i know could be a basic thing but im stuck here for days and cant found the right workarround any help will be nice

Thanks

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Two wan Failover & Nat

Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:44 pm

In terms of your two ISP connections:
- do you want one ISP as primary (all users) and the other IP is secondary (backup).

What are your expectations on using your two connections. This is critical before designing any nat and routes.
Assuming both ISPs are dynamically assigned WAN IPs??

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:28 pm

I suggest try with: add second NAT rule for 2nd interface and remove that interface from first rule (or the list used there)

Also make sure "CHECK GATEWAY" is enabled on the routes.

Dassault
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:25 am

In terms of your two ISP connections:
- do you want one ISP as primary (all users) and the other IP is secondary (backup).

What are your expectations on using your two connections. This is critical before designing any nat and routes.
Assuming both ISPs are dynamically assigned WAN IPs??
Nods , one isp as primary for all users ( 100 megabit ) then the other one will be seconday ( backup, too slow to do load balance , only 6 megabits )

Both isp works , even ping works from both routes, both are dinamically asignated indeed.

I guess the problem about failover is that when the link goes down , ips modem still gives the mikrotik on internal ip ( when link is up modem gives a public ip ) , so no failover ocurrs as still see the interface up , if turn off the interface manually it does failover, so far this is what i try and learn

thanks for your reply