Community discussions

eftomi
just joined
Topic Author

IPTV VLAN traversing over three RBs

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:16 pm

I have two RB951G and one hAP ac and am trying to arrange the IPTV multicast traffic through them. STB works on tagged IPTV VLAN 3999. The RBs are connected in a serie like:
iptv port on modem <==> [RB951G(1)] <==> [hAP ac] <==> [RB951G(2)] <==> [STB]

I'm using the hw offloading on all three routers, according to the basic guidelines for setting up hw offloading and the VLANs as on the manual pages https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... p_Features. The first RB951G(1) has an additional bridge for IPTV traffic which "joins" IPTV port on ether4 (its VLAN 3999 interface) with VLAN 3999 interface of the switch chip bridge (ether4 is not a part of a hw offload switch group.) The setup is the same on the other end - RB951G(2), whereas the hAP ac only passes the IPTV traffic through switch chip trunk ports (VLAN 3999 again).

The IPTV connection doesn't work, the STB won't connect. In parallel, I run an 'ordinary' LAN traffic on its own VLAN and this one works as it should. Besides this, I have additional hAP ac lite which is connected to RB951G(1) through WDS, so the above topology is in fact:
iptv port on modem <==> [RB951G(1)] <==> [hAP ac] <==> [RB951G(2)] <==> [STB(1)]
                             ||
                      [hAP ac lite] <==> [STB(2)]
So, STB(2) is working just fine, but STB(1) won't.

Are there any other considerations (besides setting hw offload and VLANs on switches) that I should follow in this kind of setup to serve multicast?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPTV VLAN traversing over three RBs

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:27 pm

More clarity is required on the connection between the modem and the first router.
Are you saying you have two connections for example
modem1 to routereth1
modem2 to routereth2

If so is there a difference between the outputs of modem1,2, or are they both regular internet and vlan999 for example??

eftomi
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:35 pm

Yes, two ports on modem (untagged Internet/WAN, tagged IPTV VLANID 3999) go to two separated ports on RB951G.

PS: the figure above describes only the IPTV traffic.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:03 pm

First of all: there's no need to have two ethernet cables between CPE and first RB, one is enough (configure CPE port as "trunk"). On RB side bridge vlan 3999 from CPE to your IPTV and use untagged on same ether port to run PPPoE ... the modern way of doing it would be to play with bridge vlan-filtering, but that is orthogonal with HW-offloading.

Are any of connections between different RBs on route to STB1 wireless? While it is possible to transfer tagged frames over wifi, one needs to be extra careful to make it work. If all mentioned connections are ethernet, then you simply have to check that all VLAN setup is correct.
BR,
Metod

eftomi
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:18 pm

Thanks - actually, the connection to the hAP ac lite (at the bottom of the scheme) is wireless (wds) and it works perfectly, however the connection over ethernet doesn't work. I wonder if there is something preventing multicast traffic over hw offloading swhitches - I tried various settings (IGMP snooping, multi/unicast flooding prevention, STP off) of no effect.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:32 pm

First of all: there's no need to have two ethernet cables between CPE and first RB, one is enough (configure CPE port as "trunk"). On RB side bridge vlan 3999 from CPE to your IPTV and use untagged on same ether port to run PPPoE ... the modern way of doing it would be to play with bridge vlan-filtering, but that is orthogonal with HW-offloading.

Are any of connections between different RBs on route to STB1 wireless? While it is possible to transfer tagged frames over wifi, one needs to be extra careful to make it work. If all mentioned connections are ethernet, then you simply have to check that all VLAN setup is correct.
Hi MKX,
Q1. To clarify, do you mean treat the incoming from CPE as a trunk port, because I am not sure if one has any control over the ISPs modem (CPE). Typically dont you just get what they are sending out??

Q2. I am not clear on vlan and internet on one line and how to handle it, when the vlan is NOT the prime internet feed from the primary router perspective. Mainly because I am not clear on how to bridge that............

ONE LINE/CONDUIT METHOD??

/interface ethernet
eth1=WaniP
eth2-6=ethernet
eth7=trunkLAN

/interface bridge
brigde name=bridgehome vlan-filtering=yes

/interface vlan
interface= bridgehome vlanname=iptvLAN vlan-id=3999

/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridgehome interface=eth1
add bridge=bridgehome interface=eth7

/interface bridge vlan
bridge=bridgehome tagged=bridgehome, eth1,eth7 vlan-id=99

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Q1. To clarify, do you mean treat the incoming from CPE as a trunk port, because I am not sure if one has any control over the ISPs modem (CPE). Typically dont you just get what they are sending out??
I'm 99.999% sure that OP is victim of the same ISP (SiOL) as I am. And the way I described just works. With their CPEs, user has possibility to configure certain things, such as configuration of ethernet ports - internet, IPTV or trunk (IPTV is VLAN tagged in both applicable cases). Or to put CPE into bridge mode so that PPPoE client runs on customer's device.
Last edited by mkx on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BR,
Metod

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:06 pm

I wonder if there is something preventing multicast traffic over hw offloading swhitches - I tried various settings (IGMP snooping, multi/unicast flooding prevention, STP off) of no effect.
You're mentioning HW offload ... which makes me assume you have ROS version 6.41 or newer. You need to be aware that bridge HW offloading doesn't work when VLAN comes to play. So you either have to configure VLANs on switch chip (the legacy way which is currently still completely legitimate configuration) or configure VLAN filtering on bridge (but then you loose HW offload).

You can post configuration oh hAP ac and RB951G(2) ... at least /interface subtree (obfuscate any sensitive data).
BR,
Metod

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:27 pm

Q2. I am not clear on vlan and internet on one line and how to handle it, when the vlan is NOT the prime internet feed from the primary router perspective. Mainly because I am not clear on how to bridge that............
My way of doing it: have RB's port connecting CPE (e.g. ether1) configured as hybrid port. VLAN 3999 tagged and VLAN 13 untagged. Then ether1 is member of single bridge. VLAN 3999 is then used tagged on other ether ports where needed, for VLAN 13 there's a vlan interface (e.g. vlan13) and PPPoE client runs off interface vlan13. If ISP's way of delivering data is different (e.g. native IP with DHCP handshake), configure that on vlan13.
The great thing about it: that hybrid port can be on any VLAN-aware network device (i.e. managed switch) and it still works.
BR,
Metod

eftomi
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:37 pm

Interesting, thanks. Yes, I have ROS v6.43.4 on all devices, the setup is as follows:
[hAP ac]

/interface bridge
add fast-forward=no name=bridge-for-switch protocol-mode=none

/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] name=ether3-trunk speed=100Mbps comment="to RB951G(1)" 
set [ find default-name=ether5 ] name=ether5-trunk speed=100Mbps comment="to RB951G(2)" 

/interface ethernet switch port
set 2 vlan-header=add-if-missing vlan-mode=secure comment="ether3-trunk"
set 4 vlan-header=add-if-missing vlan-mode=secure comment="ether5-trunk"

/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge-for-switch interface=ether3-trunk
add bridge=bridge-for-switch interface=ether5-trunk

/interface ethernet switch vlan
add independent-learning=yes ports=ether3-trunk,ether5-trunk switch=switch1 vlan-id=3999

[RB951G(2)]

/interface bridge
add fast-forward=no name=bridge-for-switch protocol-mode=none
add fast-forward=no name=bridge-iptv protocol-mode=none

/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] name=ether1-trunk speed=100Mbps comment="to hAP ac" 
set [ find default-name=ether5 ] name=ether5-iptv speed=100Mbps comment="IPTV 3999 and LAN"

/interface vlan
add interface=bridge-for-switch loop-protect=on name=vlan-3999-bridge-switch vlan-id=3999
add interface=ether5-iptv loop-protect=on name=vlan-3999-ether5-iptv vlan-id=3999

set 0 vlan-header=add-if-missing vlan-mode=secure comment="ether1-trunk"
set 5 vlan-mode=secure

/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge-iptv interface=vlan-3999-ether5-iptv
add bridge=bridge-iptv interface=vlan-3999-bridge-switch
add bridge=bridge-lan hw=no interface=ether5-iptv
add bridge=bridge-for-switch interface=ether1-trunk

add independent-learning=yes ports=ether1-trunk switch=switch1 vlan-id=3999
For clarity I removed the lines for other ports and VLANs.
Last edited by eftomi on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eftomi
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:43 pm

… and I'm doing VLANs with the new style (not the old fasion way) - however 'ordinary' VLAN networking seems to be just fine.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPTV VLAN traversing over three RBs  [SOLVED]

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:52 pm

Since your configuration is actually "old school", the last part of posted config for RB951G(2) should be
add independent-learning=yes ports=switch-cpu,ether1-trunk switch=switch1 vlan-id=3999
Without adding switch-cpu as member of that VLAN the vlan-3999-ether5-iptv interface will actually not see necessary traffic.

But then, the whole story about bridge-iptv is unnecessary, you could configure all VLAN3999 switching directly on switch chip without involving software.
Last edited by mkx on Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BR,
Metod

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:54 pm

My way of doing it: have RB's port connecting CPE (e.g. ether1) configured as hybrid port. VLAN 3999 tagged and VLAN 13 untagged. Then ether1 is member of single bridge. VLAN 3999 is then used tagged on other ether ports where needed, for VLAN 13 there's a vlan interface (e.g. vlan13) and PPPoE client runs off interface vlan13. If ISP's way of delivering data is different (e.g. native IP with DHCP handshake), configure that on vlan13.
The great thing about it: that hybrid port can be on any VLAN-aware network device (i.e. managed switch) and it still works.
Okay in this scenario, one assumes internet is coming in on vlan13, not sure where you saw that, but lets accept it as fact.
I have a similar setup and Past my WAN connection its transparent to the router and clients. In other words my router needs to interact with the ISP on vlan XX to get and send internet traffic but the vlan does not go any further. So my bridge is not using that vlan at all......... nor does it have the wan port in its bridge port settings.

So my question is ........ the way I assumed internet and setup in my previous post correct (the same thing you are doing except vlan1 which works as default quite nicely without having to pvid any PCs on the LAN etc), or would it only work by also assigning a separate VLAN for internet traffic (like 13) which requires tagging of all incomning traffic through the rest of the eth interfaces??

/interface vlan
interface= bridgehome vlanname=iptvLAN vlan-id=3999
interface= bridgehome vlanname=internetLAN vlan-id=13
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridgehome interface=eth1
add bridge=bridgehome interface=eth7
add bridge=bridgehome interface=2 pvid=2 ingress filtering=yes
add bridge=bridgehome interface=3 pvid=2 ingress filtering=yes
add bridge=bridgehome interface=4 pvid=2 ingress filtering=yes
add bridge=bridgehome interface=5 pvid=2 ingress filtering=yes
add bridge=bridgehome interface=6 pvid=2 ingress filtering=yes

/interface bridge vlan
bridge=bridgehome tagged=bridgehome, eth1,eth7 vlan-ids=99,13
bridge=bridgehome tagged=bridgehome, eth2,3,4,5,6 vlan-ids=13

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Okay in this scenario, one assumes internet is coming in on vlan13, not sure where you saw that, but lets accept it as fact.
No, in this scenario one assumes internet is coming untagged and it's getting tagged on ingress (because physical port is hybrid .. untagged for vlan13). You need to pay attention to all details.
BR,
Metod

eftomi
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:12 pm

I added switch-cpu but still nothing. I added ether4 directly to bridge-for-switch, too:
set 3 default-vlan-id=100 vlan-mode=secure

add independent-learning=yes ports=ether1-trunk,ether4-access,switch1-cpu switch=switch1 vlan-id=3999
to be connected to STB instead of ether5 - but still nothing … (VLAN ID 100 is LAN with internet access).

eftomi
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:33 pm

Ha, I found the problem - I had to add switch-cpu on the other RB951G(2), too. Now it works. Now I'll put everything to hw offloaded bridge, including IPTV ports from modem and STB. Thanks, mkx, for pointing me in the right direction!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:53 pm

The "really old school" would do it like this (assuming ether1 is trunk towards hAP ac and ether5 is access towards Box):
set 0 vlan-mode=secure
set 4 default-vlan-id=100 vlan-mode=always-strip
# port #5 is switch1-cpu
set 5 vlan-mode=secure

add independent-learning=yes ports=ether1-trunk,ether5-iptv switch=switch1 vlan-id=3999
add independent-learning=yes ports=ether1-trunk,ether5-iptv,switch1-cpu switch=switch1 vlan-id=100

/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge port=ether1-trunk
add bridge=bridge port=ether5-iptv
# add the rest of ports regardless of VLANs associated

/interface vlan
 add interface=bridge name=vlan100 vlan-id=100
In short: on port for Box, the internet port should get untagged, hence default-vlan-id and vlan-mode settings. Vlan 3999 does not have to enter the CPU's bridge, so switch1-cpu is not member port. Port switch1-cpu (port 5) is set to secure so that untagged frames and frames with "unknoen" VLAN ids get rejected from entering the switch chip. There's a vlan100 interface available in software for management (or anything else). If there's wlan interface that needs to become part of vlan100, set vlan-mode=use-tag and vlan-id=100 on the wlan interface and add this interface to the "common" bridge.

[edit] Hmmm ... I was thinking about RB951G(2) the whole time. However, all of wired routerboards should have similar configuration regarding VLANs. I'm glad you've got it working.

Again: when talking "hw offloading" everybody will assume you're actually configuring everything (including VLANs) through /interface bridge ... and hw offloading doesn't work with VLANs. If you do it using /interface ethernet switch, then you should be talking about doing it in hardware.
BR,
Metod

eftomi
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:46 pm

Many thanks for further explanation. Since I'm sure now that IPTV traffic goes through this kind of setup smoothly, I'll put everything in hardware :)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:24 am

No, in this scenario one assumes internet is coming untagged and it's getting tagged on ingress (because physical port is hybrid .. untagged for vlan13). You need to pay attention to all details.
Okay, I was under the impression the way to tag untagged packets on ingress was to assign pvid on bridgeport to that interface and to select ingress-filtering AND
to ensure the packets are untagged on egress is to ensure the etherport is on at least one interface bridge vlan with the same vlan identified and specifically the ethport is entered as untagged.
My earlier error was assuming that by simply having an interface bridge vlan rule with the same vlan identified and the etherport NOT entered at all (ie not tagged) was by inference stating it was untagged but no, one apparently has to physically enter it as untagged.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:00 am

Okay, I was under the impression the way to tag untagged packets on ingress was to assign pvid on bridgeport to that interface and to select ingress-filtering AND
to ensure the packets are untagged on egress is to ensure the etherport is on at least one interface bridge vlan with the same vlan identified and specifically the ethport is entered as untagged.
My earlier error was assuming that by simply having an interface bridge vlan rule with the same vlan identified and the etherport NOT entered at all (ie not tagged) was by inference stating it was untagged but no, one apparently has to physically enter it as untagged.
@anav: even with most recent versions of ROS, you can configure VLANs in two ways: using bridge vlan filtering (and that's the way you're obviously almost grasping) and using hardware configuration (that's the way OP is doing it). Both ways are distinctively different in the way how to configure things while they are similar in the conceptual way - in a way that bridge (in bridge vlan-filtering way) and switch chip (in legacy way) can be considered as same entity (i.e. doing the same operations), but commands to configure stuff are different.
BR,
Metod

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:15 pm

"Almost grasping" I spewed coffee while reading that! Made me laugh but tis oh so accurate.
Hopefully I will get there. :-)

eftomi
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:44 pm

More on this subject, since I already explained the topology, as above … I've put all VLAN "marshalling" into hardware (switches) of my RBs, and everything seems to be fine, except … When I turn on TV BOXes, the web surfing on computers gets really slow, and this slowness is sporadic. I even established a second, separate VLAN with internet access for BOXes, so they are not on the same VLAN with other computers, but still I have problems. Multicast IPTV traffic is of course in separate VLAN, too.

I noticed, however, that if I make 'flood ping' from my main router (the one that has PPPoE connection to the operator's net) to operator's network first hop, only 50 to 500 packets goes through. And this is sporadic, around 1/3 of the time all 1000 packets are fine. If I turn TV BOXes off, everything works well. I tried to change MTU size on PPPoE, without any success.

Within in-house network, flood pings are successful in all directions and VLANs.

And yes, I'm on SIoL … So before I'm making a complaint with operator, I'd like to check if there's anything that I could do. I'm on fiber, 100/40.

Edit: another observation: sporadic is in fact not sporadic - if BOX is playing live tv, the internet traffic almost stops, if BOX is playing recorded tv-shows, everything is fine.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:07 pm

I suspect that there's some non-optimal setting on your routerboards. I have a RB951G as well, same ISP but on VDSL (30/5), and I never observed such a radical internet degradation when watching TV (I'm using one ancient Sagem that only supports live multicasts, one legacy Box which supports both live multicasts and timeshift, and UDPXY gateway which supports only live multicasts). I could only observe slight internet degradation which can be explained by rate limiting and QoS prioritization of IPTV in DL.
One thing I never tried to configure: IGMP snooping. From what I read it doesn't work well all the time so I decided that I don't care about 5 or 10Mbps multicast flood to a few ethernet ports.
BR,
Metod

eftomi
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks, Metod (we should grab some beer :-) ). Problem solved, it was a stupid mistake on my part - the IPTV port on RB was connected to the trunk port on ISPs modem, however I provide Internet connection for BOXes through LAN port. So I changed the configuration on modem from trunk to video, changed the RB switch settings for its IPTV port (to secure, always strip, 3999) and it works perfectly, since IPTV traffic from video port is not tagged.

Interestingly, the mistake was not observable on any of the RB's interfaces as a significant traffic increase.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:43 pm

... the IPTV port on RB was connected to the trunk port on ISPs modem, however I provide Internet connection for BOXes through LAN port. So I changed the configuration on modem from trunk to video ...
You could do the same using single ethernet cable between ISP modem and RB by configuring modem port as trunk and some playing with VLANs for untagged (data) on RB. Works nicely for me on RB951G, not so much on RBD52G due to some obscure bug of switch chip (if I configure VLANs in hardware).

BTW, what you're saying about multicasts not being tagged when modem port is set to video is a surprise to me. I've never used it in this configuration but I've always assumed it'd be tagged because Sagem (video-only set top box) works just fine when served multicasts over VLAN 3999.
BR,
Metod

eftomi
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks for the tip, I might spare a cable and ports on both ends.