I recently bought two LDF5 to establish a point to point wireless link in a rural area. Just to test the thing out I decided to hook it up on eth3 of my ISPs modem and also my laptop to eth2 to have control over all the devices at a time.
After connecting the laptop to 192.168.88.0/24 I changed the LDFs IP to static, being on the modems network which is 192.168.1.0/24 where the modem acts as the gateway at 192.168.1.1
Pretty straight forward I would say. I then changed my laptop back to 192.168.1.0/24 and followed the MikroTik Wiki guide on initial configuration with the LDF now having a static IP at 192.168.1.3 where I could then proceed with the most necessary steps:
- Add basic gateway route
- Change firewall NAT to eth1 (only port on the LDF5)
- Make a test ping
- Add my gateway as DNS server
- Test system package update to make sure DNS works
- Create a wireless security profile
- Change wlan1 to be bridge mode with the created security profile
- Create a bridge1 with default settings
- Add bridge ports eth1 and wlan1 to bridge1
This works without a problem to forward internet from the gateway (my ISPs modem) to a device connecting to the adjusted wlan1 on the LDF5 where the device gets an IP from the gateway rather than the LDF. Apparently that's what the bridge does, so much I do understand.
After I got this done I was happy and thought I'd update the systems package to the latest stable version. After this I could not access the RouterOS at 192.168.1.3 anymore. I tried to reload several times and reboot modem and laptop without luck. So I hard resetted the LDF with its reset button and tried the same configuration again.
I turns out that with the latest stable release after applying the bridge ports I am not able to access RouterOS through the static IP of the device anymore. The setup is functioning well as it should, the LDF sends a signal and bridges the connecting device to the modem which has access to internet.
This could be fine to just let it sit there but I can not access any mask of RouterOS anymore. This seems more like a bug than anything else, it worked fine before doing the update. I did no extra configuration, I did not change any options in the process other than the wireless mode. I realized that the new version creates two lists by default now. LAN and WAN. But I made a test with lists and without them to make sure. Also on another try I deleted any dhcp server/client and pools to make sure nothing interferes with the static setup.
None of this influenced the fact that as soon as bridging eth1 to wlan1 the function is given, but RouterOS becomes inaccessible. When accessing 192.168.1.3 (the static IP of the LDF) the navigator times out. In the network details of the modem the static IP is active and handed to the correct MAC of the LDF.