Community discussions

marianarlt
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS not loading at static IP

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:02 am

Hello everyone,

I recently bought two LDF5 to establish a point to point wireless link in a rural area. Just to test the thing out I decided to hook it up on eth3 of my ISPs modem and also my laptop to eth2 to have control over all the devices at a time.
After connecting the laptop to 192.168.88.0/24 I changed the LDFs IP to static, being on the modems network which is 192.168.1.0/24 where the modem acts as the gateway at 192.168.1.1
Pretty straight forward I would say. I then changed my laptop back to 192.168.1.0/24 and followed the MikroTik Wiki guide on initial configuration with the LDF now having a static IP at 192.168.1.3 where I could then proceed with the most necessary steps:
- Add basic gateway route
- Change firewall NAT to eth1 (only port on the LDF5)
- Make a test ping
- Add my gateway as DNS server
- Test system package update to make sure DNS works
- Create a wireless security profile
- Change wlan1 to be bridge mode with the created security profile
- Create a bridge1 with default settings
- Add bridge ports eth1 and wlan1 to bridge1
This works without a problem to forward internet from the gateway (my ISPs modem) to a device connecting to the adjusted wlan1 on the LDF5 where the device gets an IP from the gateway rather than the LDF. Apparently that's what the bridge does, so much I do understand.
After I got this done I was happy and thought I'd update the systems package to the latest stable version. After this I could not access the RouterOS at 192.168.1.3 anymore. I tried to reload several times and reboot modem and laptop without luck. So I hard resetted the LDF with its reset button and tried the same configuration again.
I turns out that with the latest stable release after applying the bridge ports I am not able to access RouterOS through the static IP of the device anymore. The setup is functioning well as it should, the LDF sends a signal and bridges the connecting device to the modem which has access to internet.
This could be fine to just let it sit there but I can not access any mask of RouterOS anymore. This seems more like a bug than anything else, it worked fine before doing the update. I did no extra configuration, I did not change any options in the process other than the wireless mode. I realized that the new version creates two lists by default now. LAN and WAN. But I made a test with lists and without them to make sure. Also on another try I deleted any dhcp server/client and pools to make sure nothing interferes with the static setup.
None of this influenced the fact that as soon as bridging eth1 to wlan1 the function is given, but RouterOS becomes inaccessible. When accessing 192.168.1.3 (the static IP of the LDF) the navigator times out. In the network details of the modem the static IP is active and handed to the correct MAC of the LDF.

2frogs

Re: RouterOS not loading at static IP

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Before you change the IP address, create your bridge first. Then assign the static IP to the bridge. Now you should be able to add the ether and wlan to bridge and still access it. When you add the ether/wlan to the bridge it becomes the slave to it and can not have an IP attached to them. And instead of resetting the devices, you could use winbox to connect to them even though they don't have an IP address.

marianarlt
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:05 am

@2frogs
Thank you very much for taking the time in pointing this out. There are some things I observed while applying your suggestions:
This looks to be impossible to achieve through WebFig. Let's say the very first thing after factory log in is to create bridge1. eth1 and wlan1 are already created and configured by defconf, set up to be eth1: dhcp server and wlan1 optionally dhcp client. I go ahead and assign a static IP to bridge1 (a new one, not touching the default IP). Now I get disconnected from RouterOS because the IP configuration changed. bridge1 still has nothing to bridge, so nothing is reachable here. The default IP also is unreachable, although I don't know why. Seems to be a conflict. There sure is some way to get this work even in WebFig, but the Wiki is outdated, abstract and very hard to understand in detail if I wasn't a professional networking IT person. The wiki article on initial configuration can not be followed for devices with only one port.

This made me install wine on my linux laptop just to try out winbox...I had to enable multilib repositories to be able to install it and infect my system with 32bit libraries and programs. But well, in this very specific case it was worth it. I got it to work as you instructed by connecting to the MAC address of the device. Here is another observation I made: I now have eth1 and wlan1 on bridge1 which had a static IP assigned before adding these ports just as you pointed out. This IP is 192.168.1.3. NAT points to bridge1. DNS and routes to the default gateway on 192.168.1.1 Ping and updates work fine from within RouterOS. The radio can be accessed by one client using its SSID and WPA2. And I am still able to log in to the LDF with winbox.

However I am still not able to connect to 192.168.1.3 with WebFig, that is with a navigator. Is there a way to have this connectivity back? I tried to assign a separate static IP (192.168.1.4) to eth1 without luck.

Thank you again for your time.

2frogs

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:33 am

I will admit I do not use webfig for any major configurations for this very reason. It is still in development and really only intended for basic changes and preconfigured changes using the quickset (although some of those do not work correctly either.)

The need of removing all unused settings, including firewall rules could be the issue of not being to manage it with webfig after your changes. The highly recommended way of setting up your device like you are doing is to reset it without default configuration and start from scratch using winbox! You can use the /export /import commands to make this process even easier. From winbox open a new terminal and type:
/export file=export
This will create a export.rsc (you can name it what you want) in files that you can download and edit with a txt editor. You can remove all unused settings, then after resetting without defaults, upload the file and use /import to import the file or simple copy the contents of the file and paste into the terminal.