Community discussions

MikroTik App

Bugsy
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik reserving some of my bandwith and I don't want that

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello. My first post here. I recently got a Mikrotik cloud switch series router. It was a gift and now configuring it properly is giving me issues. And yes I am a very big noob when it comes to networking.

My Isp configured my fiber modem/router to act just as a modem so I'm passing on the routing to the Mikrotik. I'm using the default configuration, I performed a factory reset when i got the Mikrotik and haven't played around with the settings because I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to break things.

I have one cable going from the Gigabit modem to port 1 of the Mikrotik and I have a cable going from port 2 to my PC (PC has gigabit ethernet) a cable from port 3 to my TV (TV does not have gigabit) and a cable from port 4 to a Kodi box ( has gbit ethernet)

I have a gigabit connection and when my pc is directly connected to the modem I get 113.5 MB/s in real life performance however when The Mikrotik is in between I get 103-107 MB/s at best to my PC ( while all other devices that are connected to it are off) and even wifi is disabled ( because I thought its eating away my bandwidth)

Please help me configure my Mikrotik so that I get full speed on my PC line always.

Thanks in advance.

shiyiqiang08
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Mikrotik reserving some of my bandwith and I don't want that

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Hello. My first post here. I recently got a Mikrotik cloud switch series router. It was a gift and now configuring it properly is giving me issues. And yes I am a very big noob when it comes to networking.

My Isp configured my fiber modem/router to act just as a modem so I'm passing on the routing to the Mikrotik. I'm using the default configuration, I performed a factory reset when i got the Mikrotik and haven't played around with the settings because I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to break things.

I have one cable going from the Gigabit modem to port 1 of the Mikrotik and I have a cable going from port 2 to my PC (PC has gigabit ethernet) a cable from port 3 to my TV (TV does not have gigabit) and a cable from port 4 to a Kodi box ( has gbit ethernet)

I have a gigabit connection and when my pc is directly connected to the modem I get 113.5 MB/s in real life performance however when The Mikrotik is in between I get 103-107 MB/s at best to my PC ( while all other devices that are connected to it are off) and even wifi is disabled ( because I thought its eating away my bandwidth)

Please help me configure my Mikrotik so that I get full speed on my PC line always.

Thanks in advance.
you can use fasttrack

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:35 pm

The default (out of the box) configuration is the best you can get for normal SOHO environment. The test your performed was a "single connection" test which doesn't utilise all of the available hardware (read cpu's). In normal usage, with multiple devices using the internet, you will be able to get all of the available bandwidth out of it.

Bugsy
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:46 pm

The default (out of the box) configuration is the best you can get for normal SOHO environment. The test your performed was a "single connection" test which doesn't utilise all of the available hardware (read cpu's). In normal usage, with multiple devices using the internet, you will be able to get all of the available bandwidth out of it.
The thing is though before I talked my isp into configuring my modem/router to work just as a modem I had the modem connected to port 3 of the mikrotik ( because I read somewhere that port 1 is preconfigured as WAN and DHCP ) and than I got full 113.5 MB/s to the PC. So even with a single line I was able to max out my connection.

I know that the mikrotik is reserving bandwith to use for other devices connected to it but the thing is those devices are off when I work ( and need the speed on PC ) so I'm really looking for an option to get full speed on my PC line when I want to.

@shiyiqiang08 Sadly I don't know how that works or how to configure that properly

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:54 pm

before you were only using the internal switch of the mikrotik, and that will be at "wire-speed" -> theoretical speed of gigabit ethernet.

In default config, there is no queing enabled, so no reserved bandwidth.

(and you already have fasttrck enabled)

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:56 pm

I know that the mikrotik is reserving bandwith to use for other devices connected to it
Where do you have that "knowledge" from? It is wrong. Out of the box, no MikroTik router reserves any bandwidth for other usage.
-Chris

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:00 pm

I know that the mikrotik is reserving bandwith...
No, you really don't. You said you were a big networking noob, yet you claim to know this?
These devices are not suitable for people who don't know what they are doing.

It's a switch, not a router. But you will of course know the difference, won't you?

Bugsy
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:08 pm

I should have said assume not know. I'm sorry. So there is nothing I can do? As said if I connect the PC directly to the modem right now I get 113.5 MB/s in real life performance without issues and over the mikrotik the speed stops raising fast around 100 MB/s and sometimes reaches 107 but usually less but not always so that's 7 MB/s and 13 MB/s of speed I am losing somewhere. That's quite a bit of speed where I come from.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:29 pm

I should have said assume not know. I'm sorry. So there is nothing I can do? As said if I connect the PC directly to the modem right now I get 113.5 MB/s in real life performance without issues and over the mikrotik the speed stops raising fast around 100 MB/s and sometimes reaches 107 but usually less but not always so that's 7 MB/s and 13 MB/s of speed I am losing somewhere. That's quite a bit of speed where I come from.
Can you please provide the exact Model of your MikroTik cloud switch series router --- that would help to determine the capabilities of this device.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:30 pm

You haven't mention it explicitly, I assume you're having a CRSxxx ... which is, as @sid5632 mentioned, a switch with some routing capabilities. And those routing capabilities are not good enough to enable full 1Gbps routing.

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:33 pm

So let's calm down a bit.
Even a CRS series device should be able to pass those 113MBit.
First, update the firmware to the latest version (6.43.7 at the time of typing).
Then factory-reset it again. This should enable fasttrack by default.
After this, upgrade routerboard firmware in system -> routerboard and reboot again.

You said you moved WAN to port3 b/c port1 is set to WAN/DHCP.
How are you connecting through your modem? Does it hand out DHCP or do you use PPPoE? Or do you happen to have a static IP address?
If your modem hands out DHCP leases, you're fine using ether1 right out of the box.
If you're happy to have a static address, add this address to ether1 and add a default route to your ISP's gateway. Don't forget to add dns servers. In case of a static IP address, adjust your default NAT rule to src-nat instead of masquerade and set your local IP in "to-address".
If you're using PPPoE, remove DHCP client from ether1, add a PPPoE client interface on ether1 and adjust your firewall rules (everything referencing ether1 needs to be adjusted to pppoe-out1).

Then post back results again.

EDIT: I just realized you have a gigabit service. I was under the impression that you achieved 113MBit/s, not 113MBytes/s. That's really too much for the poor CPU. Get a higher level device - a 4011 or CCR1009 will easily cope with that link.

-Chris

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:41 pm

-Chris
Chris , just to clarify @Bugsy stated 113MB ... to me that is equivalent to 904 Mbps

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Yup, just realized and edited my post :-)

Bugsy
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:51 pm

So let's calm down a bit.
First, update the firmware to the latest version (6.43.7 at the time of typing).
Then factory-reset it again. This should enable fasttrack by default.
After this, upgrade routerboard firmware in system -> routerboard and reboot again.

You said you moved WAN to port3 b/c port1 is set to WAN/DHCP.
How are you connecting through your modem? Does it hand out DHCP or do you use PPPoE? Or do you happen to have a static IP address?
If your modem hands out DHCP leases, you're fine using ether1 right out of the box.
If you're happy to have a static address, add this address to ether1 and add a default route to your ISP's gateway. Don't forget to add dns servers. In case of a static IP address, adjust your default NAT rule to src-nat instead of masquerade and set your local IP in "to-address".
If you're using PPPoE, remove DHCP client from ether1, add a PPPoE client interface on ether1 and adjust your firewall rules (everything referencing ether1 needs to be adjusted to pppoe-out1).

Then post back results again.

EDIT: I just realized you have a gigabit service. I was under the impression that you achieved 113MBit/s, not 113MBytes/s. That's really too much for the poor CPU. Get a higher level device - a 4011 or CCR1009 will easily cope with that link.

-Chris

I was just noticed your edit while replying to your post. Thank's a lot !

Edit: Just to confirm the device I have at the moment is this: https://mikrotik.com/product/CRS109-8G- ... ifications

Is there a good reason to get a CCR1009 over a 4011 ? The price is quite different. Thanks again.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:49 pm

Is there a good reason to get a CCR1009 over a 4011 ? The price is quite different. Thanks again.
To answer your question you need to define your requirements.

I prefer the CCR1009 because it has the power I need ... but it may be overkill for your needs ....
tell us what you want to use the gear for and you’ ll get a qualified respononce.

Bugsy
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:02 am

To answer your question you need to define your requirements.

I prefer the CCR1009 because it has the power I need ... but it may be overkill for your needs ....
tell us what you want to use the gear for and you’ ll get a qualified respononce.
I want to stream 4k high bitrate media, to 4 devices around the house if its possible I'd like to do that from a big external HDD hooked up to the router via usb 3.0 or something faster via NFS or something similar. If I can do this it basically means I can avoid buying a NAS which would be amazing. But I Imagine a single big external HDD wouldn't be fast enough? so a small NAS with a raid is probably unavoidable

It would be nice if I can stream media to at least two media devices runing linux or apple 4k at the time while still having access to full internet speed for gaming etc. I'd like snappy performance.
Wireless and firewall would be nice.

Basically, I need a router that is suited for someone that wants to stream lots of 4k media from NAS or HDD while using my 1 Gbit fiber connection to its full potential. I'd describe myself as a heavy user but not a techy guy. I want to buy something that will last the next 5+ years and that just works out of the box if possible

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:34 pm

I want to stream 4k high bitrate media, to 4 devices around the house if its possible I'd like to do that from a big external HDD hooked up to the router via usb 3.0 or something faster via NFS or something similar. If I can do this it basically means I can avoid buying a NAS which would be amazing. But I Imagine a single big external HDD wouldn't be fast enough? so a small NAS with a raid is probably unavoidable

It would be nice if I can stream media to at least two media devices runing linux or apple 4k at the time while still having access to full internet speed for gaming etc. I'd like snappy performance.
Wireless and firewall would be nice.

Basically, I need a router that is suited for someone that wants to stream lots of 4k media from NAS or HDD while using my 1 Gbit fiber connection to its full potential. I'd describe myself as a heavy user but not a techy guy. I want to buy something that will last the next 5+ years and that just works out of the box if possible
Streaming 4K locally all you need is a Gigabit capable switch which you have. The CRS's are very good at switching within hardware.
Do you realise the enormity of the task you are asking though?
Storing 4K media on a USB HDD and playing to devices simply won't work, not a lot of current devices will be able to direct play 4K content so you need something to transcode the raw files, this is usually where a home server or dedicated NAS with decent CPU can help.
Why would a single HDD not be fast enough? 125MB write speed on what I;d consider a "poor" consumer HDD will saturate a Gb link.
The RB4011 has USB3 but honestly you'll be back asking why it isn't working.

Streaming to multiple devices, no problem if they can direct play, again though if you end up needing to transcode then CPU grunt will need ot be even more, try for somethign really cutting edge that can do H265 rather than 264 and you should be in the right area.

I would advise you to approach this individually. Get a router that can route Gb and firewall and wireless happily, then attack your streaming needs via separate hardware. If you aren't a techy guy then you need to become one as I would be amazed if there was a 1 box solution aimed at the consumer market for this.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:52 pm

I don't know what 4K you think you have, but normally even barely compressed 4K content is at 50-60Mbit bitrate.

As to the OP, we need more info about your device and the exact issue as you observe it.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:36 pm

I don't know what 4K you think you have, but normally even barely compressed 4K content is at 50-60Mbit bitrate.

As to the OP, we need more info about your device and the exact issue as you observe it.
@normis, @bugsy stated that he has the MikroTik CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD-IN
I want to buy something that will last the next 5+ years and that just works out of the box if possible
bugsy, MikRoTik gear requires tech skills to exploit properly, @Steveocee provides you with excellent suggestions. For a Router in your situation I would suggest the RB4011iGS+RM, then use your current MikroTik CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD-IN as a switch dedicated to your internal needs including wireless AP. You will need to learn how to configure the chain so that your system will deliver to your expectations -- lots of people on this forum will be happy to help you get there.
For a NAS at a reasonable price that will do exactly what you want it to the following is my suggestion: Synology DS216play media streaming and 4K transcoding device