Community discussions

MikroTik App

whatlanisthis
just joined
Topic Author

wAP AC Continuous Reboot After Upgrade to 6.43.8

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:43 am

Hi... I just performed a routine upgrade and encountered problems. My router (RB2011iLS), Omnitik AP, and one of my wAP AC's upgraded to 6.43.8 without issue. My second wAP AC did not upgrade successfully. After the upgrade completed (did not complete?) I cannot connect to the AP using WinBox 3.18 as it does not appear in the list and even entering the MAC address manually does not allow a connection. After a variety of attempts, I decided to reset the AP using the reset button, but I am not sure it really worked. If I only connect power, the device will boot (it seems), but the 5 GHz and 2 GHz lights do not illuminate. If I connect the ethernet, the light flashes, but after 10 seconds the AP seems to reboot. The reboot cycle happens every 10 seconds indefinitely. I have tried connecting the AP both to my RB2011 router and directly to the ethernet port on my laptop - no difference either way. Just a continual reboot as soon as eth is plugged in.

I could not find anything on these forums, but did find https://blog.ligos.net/2016-12-27/Recov ... evice.html - which seems a bit dated as well as this https://shop.duxtel.com.au/article_info ... cles_id=62 which says much the same thing.

Any suggestions? Is Netinstall my path forward? Thanks!

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wAP AC Continuous Reboot After Upgrade to 6.43.8

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:53 am

Is Netinstall my path forward?
Yes, please try that and report your success.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:37 pm

no reboot problems on my wAP AC with 6.43.8

whatlanisthis
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:13 pm

No success yet - the short summary is I cannot get Netinstall to see my wAP AC device. I have set my laptop's LAN ethernet IPv4 address manually, disabled the IPv6 option, disabled the other connections (wireless, VPN, etc.), and enabled connections through the Windows (10) Firewall for "Public" networks. The AP is connected via the POE adapter directly to my laptop's ethernet port. I have tried a variety of reset scenarios for the AP (power off, press reset button, power on, hold reset for 5/10/15/30 seconds, as well as trying the reset button while the power is on). Depending on which scenario, I can get the AP to show either just the ETH led or all of ETH, 5 GHz, and 2 GHz LEDs. I can't seem to get the AP/CAP light to stay illuminated. When the GHz LEDs are lit, the device does not seem to keep resetting, but I don't see the default Mikrotik AP names I would expect to be broadcast. This is all when connected to my laptop - as soon as I connect it to the router, the continual reboot happens. I don't see any specific reset instructions for the AP - most seem to refer to watching the "LED" upon reset which I assume is more for a router. I have 5 LEDs (PWR, 5 GHz, 2 GHz, AP/CAP, ETH), but as above I have tried holding the button for different durations.

I have tried using Wireshark to get a bit of an idea as to what is going on. I'm new to Wireshark, but if I allow the AP to boot without the reset button, I can see that the AP has an IP address of 0.0.0.0 and sending a Boot Request to 255.255.255.255, before it resets after 10 seconds.

I assume Netinstall is still my way forward. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

whatlanisthis
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:46 am

So I'm getting closer... I can now see my AP via Netinstall v6.42.10 - sometimes. It seems to be a bit touchy with respect to how long I hold down the reset button before the AP will be seen by Netinstall. I followed these https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall instructions to the letter. Unfortunately I now seem to be experiencing the same issue with Netinstall that many before me have: I can see my AP and the package to install, I press the 'Install' button, the app thinks for a couple seconds, but the package does not install, the 'Reboot' button does not appear, and the Status returns to 'Ready'. (See viewtopic.php?t=130598, and viewtopic.php?t=109086).

The net out of those posts is that there is some combination of Windows 10 and ethernet cards that just won't work with Netinstall. I've tried disabling the firewall, running as Admin, disabling network cards, compatibility mode, etc. As I don't have a spare switch, the concensus seems to be that I need to go find a USB to ethernet dongle which seems a bit extreme. I may see if I can find an old XP (!) laptop to try out. Other suggestions welcome.

whatlanisthis
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:41 am

Success!
My initial trials using Netinstall were unsuccessful as mentioned above. I was using a Windows 10 laptop that had both built in wireless and an ethernet port. Although I had disabled the wireless and could see my AP via the wired ethernet connection in Netinstall, the NPK files would not install.
Today I sourced a USB3 to ethernet dongle, had the wireless enabled so that I had Internet access, plugged in the dongle, and waited for Windows to find the required software. Once it was up and running I disabled both my wireless and default wired ethernet connection so that only the dongle was enabled. I then set the IPv4 settings as per the article mentioned above. At this point one end of my PoE injector is plugged into a network cable connected to the AP, the other end is not connected to my laptop/ethernet dongle.
I then put my AP into "Netinstall mode" (hold down the reset button, power on the PoE injector, wait until the two GHz LED's go solid and the CAP light just starts flashing, release), and then plugged the other end of the PoE injector into the ethernet dongle.
Although Netinstall could see the AP at this point, the software still wouldn't install. (Yes, it's been granted an exception on my Windows Firewall). The final trick was to run Netinstall in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Once I did that, Netinstall would see the AP and could install the fresh NPK.
Interestingly, although the documentation says things are set back to defaults, this isn't quite the case. By default the wAP AC AP usually broadcasts as a Mikrotik hotspot you can connect to wirelessly with default credentials to configure. Not so with the NPK flash. No wireless is running - I needed to plug the AP into my router and connect to it over the ethernet using Winbox with default credentials and restore a backup RSC configuration file I had before things started working.
All told quite a process. I think Netinstall could do with some refinements to work better with the Windows 10 ethernet. I also don't understand how the standard software upgrade for my AP managed to get corrupted (the other identical AP upgraded successfully seconds earlier), but it's great things could be recovered and I wasn't left with a brick. Hopefully this helps others.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:43 am

Great to hear. Glad it worked out for you.

MTeeker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Success!
Hopefully this helps others.
Thank you. Because of your detailed post, I was able to recover an unresponsive wAP ac successfully.

So thanks again for being helpful and generous with your time on the forum..
Cheers

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:48 pm

Although Netinstall could see the AP at this point, the software still wouldn't install. (Yes, it's been granted an exception on my Windows Firewall). The final trick was to run Netinstall in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Once I did that, Netinstall would see the AP and could install the fresh NPK.

Interested to learn how the "software still wouldn't install" failure presented itself, exactly.

It's quite common on my setup to choose the package, click the install button, see everything dim out for five seconds or so while nothing else happens, then the dim goes away; you then select the router again, hit install again, the dim happens again, etc. Is this what you were seeing?

I have found the solution to this is to quit and relaunch netinstall, choose "previous install" as quickly as possible, then the install button, then you will get the "formatting disk" message and everything will work. I have found that when I am able to use "previous install," the hang almost never occurs, whereas if I have to select different packages, the hang occurs more than half the time; also, the longer it takes me before I hit the install button, the more the chance of the hang increases.

This has been happening to me for years, and I just live with it. I will have to try your solution of running in W7 compatibility mode and see if the problem goes away.

whatlanisthis
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:02 am

I'm glad to hear the recovery steps worked for MTeeker as well.

With respect to the question from macswre… I can't recall exactly how the "software still wouldn't install" as this was over a year ago now. From memory though it was as per my earlier attempts with Netinstall - something along the lines of: I press the 'Install' button, the app thinks for a couple seconds, but the package does not install, the 'Reboot' button does not appear, and the Status returns to 'Ready'. I do recall that Netinstall wasn't particularly forthcoming with details when problems were encountered. Although I hopefully don't run into this scenario again, if I do, I'll be sure to post details.

MTeeker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:58 am

Interested to learn how the "software still wouldn't install" failure presented itself, exactly.

It's quite common on my setup to choose the package, click the install button, see everything dim out for five seconds or so while nothing else happens, then the dim goes away; you then select the router again, hit install again, the dim happens again, etc. Is this what you were seeing?

I have found the solution to this is to quit and relaunch netinstall, choose "previous install" as quickly as possible, then the install button, then you will get the "formatting disk" message and everything will work. I have found that when I am able to use "previous install," the hang almost never occurs, whereas if I have to select different packages, the hang occurs more than half the time; also, the longer it takes me before I hit the install button, the more the chance of the hang increases.

This has been happening to me for years, and I just live with it. I will have to try your solution of running in W7 compatibility mode and see if the problem goes away.
A short answer is that I somehow succeeded along what you described. If your post (especially in the 3rd paragraph) had been available earlier, I'd not had lost a few hairs.

I will save your post for posterity after this.

Background:

What happened was I upgraded firmware on the wAP AC (a CAP) 'without first stopping its link with the CAPsMAN router'. Whether or not this makes it safer to upgrade the CAP, I am not 100 % certain. Its AP function then performs like having a mind of its own. And unstable at times. Several tries of reset failed to get it working properly as prior to updating. It actually still shows the previous firmware version!

In the end, I was left with no choice but Netinstall. This is the third time that I had to use netinstall to recover an unresponsive MikroTik device over the years of my using MikroTik. I love and learn a lot from using MikroTik.

The first two occasions left a bad memory in me in that it was not a quite straighforward process in my experiences. This time around, it takes on a new angle since the Mikrotik wAP AC RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD uses PoE. I actually tried the serial-to-RJ45 port cable at first, using 2 x PoE cables in my rig to effectively get PoE delivered to wAP AC, as serial port does not give out power.

But the serial approach did not give result as I expected. I went on a search and came across 'whatlanisthis' post. Hence my realisation that it can be done with a USB adapter.

Still, the wAP AC did not show up on Netinstall screen despite several tries and a few hairs lost later.

And you know the feeling. After so many tries, it's really hard to pinpoint with precision the exact process that I got it showed up on Netinstall. And when it did, Netinstall indicates a new firmware being flashed but then quickly stop without doing it......

At one stage, I almost gave up with the thought of acquiring a new replacement. But my patience and desire got the better of me.

Long story short, I can recall more or less the steps that you decribed in your 3rd para.

So many thanks to whatlanisthis and you for being helpful with your posts.

Wishing you a good day. (It has to be better than Melbourne where I live, which is affected by the smokes from bushfires in Australia since before Christmas).

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:43 am

Would you do me a favor and report that netinstall failure to support@mikrotik.com? Reference this thread. I've reported it before and gotten shrugged off as a crank, as if I'm the only one in the universe that it has ever happens to. Thanks.

MTeeker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:25 pm

Would you do me a favor and report that netinstall failure to support@mikrotik.com? Reference this thread. I've reported it before and gotten shrugged off as a crank, as if I'm the only one in the universe that it has ever happens to. Thanks.
Here is a copy my email:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you regarding Netinstall of MikroTik.

ISSUE: Netinstall is NOT a straight forward application when needed to run (using RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD as an example).

REQUEST: MikroTik investigates with a view to making a modified version of Netinstall that is EASIER to run for recovery of MikroTik devices.

IMPLICATIONS: This way, users do not experience, perhaps, frustrations through time wasting via trials and errors when they need to use Netinstall. The combined effects of their experience with ease in recovering MikroTik device/s becomes a sure and safe way of owning MikroTik devices in the first place. Even for less familiar users. FWIW, I hold a certificate of MTCNA (it was acquired more than three years ago).

BACKGROUND:

What happened was I upgraded firmware on the wAP AC (as a CAP) 'without first stopping its link with the CAPsMAN router (RB493G)'. Whether or not this makes it safer to upgrade the CAP, I am not 100 % certain. Its AP function then performs like having a mind of its own. It became unstable at times. Several tries of reset failed to get it back to working properly as prior to firmware updating. In fact, it actually still showed the previous firmware version for some reason!

In the end, I was left with no choice but using Netinstall. This is actually the third time that I use Netinstall to recover an unresponsive MikroTik device over my years of my using MikroTik. I love and learn a lot from using MikroTik. It's why I became a MTCNA.

Let me tell you that the first two occasions of using Netinstall left a bad memory in me in that it was not a quite straighforward process in my experiences. This time around, it takes on a new angle since the Mikrotik wAP AC RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD uses PoE. I actually tried the serial-to-RJ45 port cable at first in a rig, including 2 x PoE cables plus a RJ45 joiner, to effectively deliver PoE to wAP AC, as serial port does not give out power.

But the serial approach did not give result in the WAP AC showing in Netinstall as I expected. I thought it might have been due to my rather convoluted DIY rig. So I went on a search and came across 'whatlanisthis' original post (see link at * below). Hence my realisation that it can be done with a USB adapter.

Still, the wAP AC did not show up on Netinstall screen despite several tries and a few hairs lost later. I followed instructions referred to in the link.

After so many tries, it's really hard to pinpoint with precision which exact sequence of steps that gave me the Eureka moment when the wAP AC finally showed up on Netinstall. But that was only HALF of the battle. You see, I pressed the 'Install' button then I saw Netinstall indicating as if the new firmware being flashed ....but then it quickly stops without really doing it.....Rinse and repeat the process (so to speak).

At one stage, I almost gave up with the thought of acquiring a new replacement.

But my patience and desire got the better of me. Any businessman would regard my time spent as, perhaps, uneconomical if not unwise. For a Mikrotik wAP AC RBwAPG-5HacT2HnD costs some 145 Australian dollars, it took me literally almost a full working day to return it to normal working condition. Netinstall process took a significant amount of it.

FINDINGS:

In short, I recall doing 'more or less' similar steps that were described by poster 'macsrwe' in the same thread at the link before I succeeded in flashing a new firmware on my wAP AC.

In particular and I quote:

/Quote
I have found the solution to this is to quit and relaunch Netinstall, choose "previous install" as quickly as possible, then the install button, then you will get the "formatting disk" message and everything will work. I have found that when I am able to use "previous install," the hang almost never occurs, whereas if I have to select different packages, the hang occurs more than half the time; also, the longer it takes me before I hit the install button, the more the chance of the hang increases.
/End quote

END NOTE
The above background, while rather long winded (sorry), for reading is however much shorter than my time spent on using Netinstall just about every time. I kid you not. Nevertheless, it does give a full picture of my latest experience of Netinstall as a user. I hope that there could be a more DEFINITE guide by MikroTik on using Netinstall, taking into changes in Windows OS, in such a way that users feel comfortable of using MikroTik products. It can be a win-win for both MikroTik and its users.

Thank you.

(*) viewtopic.php?t=143346

Kind regards,
MTeeker

MTeeker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi,

I received the email below from MikroTik in response to my email earlier.
Hello,
Thank you for e-mail. We are sorry that you have to waste a day to get the device back on track. We will look further to improve our articles including one about Netinstall.
Best regards,

Artūrs C.
Hopefully, something is finally happening.
Cheers

MTeeker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:07 am

Hi,

I was sent this link to Netinstall by a staff at MikroTik in a related topic, but not directly in response to what I wrote in this thread in particular.

However, it does seem to be comprehensive, sufficiently detailed and close to what I think it is, compared to what I have seen earlier.

Here it is: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

Just a final note. I kept pressing the reset button on the wAp AC (as it was powered on) UNTIL I saw it appears on Netinstall screen. It's then ready for flashing via Netinstall without fail.

I post it here for information.

Cheers,
MTeeker

Tester007
just joined

Sun May 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Had same issue with netinstall yesterday. My hap lite appears in netinstall but after selecting the image and pressing "Install" it becomes inactive for some time and then nothing happens and I can press "Install" button again. Sometimes it hangs after "Sending offer...". I tried many versions of netinstall but it wasn't working (even new beta 7 version).
Finally got success ONLY with version 6.40 of netinstall and ONLY on one old laptop I keep in a closet. After that I again tried 6.40 from my PC and it didn't work again.
So seems like netinstall is a very unreliable solution. It would be better if we could just use some regular tftp server instead of it and upload firmware manually: I was using it on my ubnt device and never had any problems with it.
Very strange that mikrotik don't plan to finally fix this issue once and for all for many years now.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 18, 2020 1:04 am

Very strange that mikrotik don't plan to finally fix this issue once and for all for many years now.
MikroTik has never even acknowledged that this issue exists.

pablomancan
just joined

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:36 am

This just occurred while upgrading to 6.47.1. It was *such* a PITA to get netinstall going that I almost swore off Mikrotik.

I was very lucky I did this in my personal SoHo setup where I had physical access. As I use these wAP's in several hard to access places, I now know to never upgrade these devices at the risk of security vulnerabilities. At the end of the day, my users require access, not necessarily security. Why is upgrading even an issue? Very frustrating.

inteq

Mon May 24, 2021 5:25 pm

Had this issue today with a RBwAPG-5HacD2HnD.
Failed upgrade to 6.48.2 and had to be sent back to me from another city.
Netinstall did nothing and had to resort to the trick of closing the program, opening it again, deleting set and quickly install.
This was the only way to successfully unbrick it after many "normal" tries.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 25, 2021 12:06 am

Netinstall works, not all users do!

inteq

Tue May 25, 2021 8:00 am

Say thank you for not stumbling upon this issue (yet) and move on if you have nothing better to add.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 25, 2021 3:52 pm

Say thank you for not stumbling upon this issue (yet) and move on if you have nothing better to add.
I've always wondered if the reason I routinely encounter this problem is because I'm not running on a physical PC, but inside a Windows VM on a Mac device. Just for my curiosity, are you running on a physical PC?

inteq

Tue May 25, 2021 4:50 pm

I've always wondered if the reason I routinely encounter this problem is because I'm not running on a physical PC, but inside a Windows VM on a Mac device. Just for my curiosity, are you running on a physical PC?
Yes. Physical machine with W10. No VM.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 25, 2021 7:51 pm

IS the Truth.
No-one-single-time netinstall fail for me.
100% the time the problem is the device where netisntall is used,
and the user than try to use something without knowing how windows or some other VM works...

Tester007
just joined

Tue May 25, 2021 8:55 pm

IS the Truth.
No it's not. The truth is that Netinstall sometimes doesn't work on some (for some?) devices. And it's not because of users but because Netinstall has bugs.

Yes. Physical machine with W10. No VM.
If you are familiar with nodejs you can try this implementation of Netisntall which was working for me last time I had this problem.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 25, 2021 10:09 pm

IS the Truth.
No it's not. The truth is that Netinstall sometimes doesn't work on some (for some?) devices. And it's not because of users but because Netinstall has bugs.
Yes, is it.
(Obviously excluding broken hardware!!!)

From 2007 I think I've buyed near 400 devices at year,
and (except broken hardware, for example green capacitor.... but it's another story) after 5/6000 netinstall, no one netinstall fail.

Netinstall is the first thing I do on just arrived new hardware.

My colleagues often ask to me to netinstall his failed installation, because do not use netinstall properly,
and ask me to do it , because I KNOW how to use netinstall in the right way.

Tester007
just joined

Tue May 25, 2021 11:13 pm

because do not use netinstall properly,
Or he just has the same bug with Netinstall on their hardware as people in this topic do.
And no, the hardware is ok, just bugs in Netinstall.

rilliam

Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:56 am

Confirm also that netinstall needs to run in windows 7 compatibility mode in order to actually handshake and see the device.