Community discussions

MikroTik App

chbla
just joined
Topic Author

New Setup: HAP AC or HAP AC2, plus CAP AC

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi there,

I want to get rid of my Asus RT-N16 and a couple of WRT54GLs and replace them with Mikrotik.

As the main router I'm unsure if I should get the HAP AC or the HAP AC2.
I don't have any devices that can use triple chain right now, but I'm not sure how fast this will be adopted in the future.
The HAP AC2 is much cheaper, I read about problems but it seems they have all been resolved with the latest updates.
Can anyone help me determine which one is better?

The plan is to connect a couple of switches (Gbit in office, living room, etc) and also use 2-3 Cap AC throughout my house.
I'm also thinking about the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR as people reported they are better than the Cap AC, is that true?

I think this would be a nice and not too expensive setup to have good and fast coverage.

Can anyone maybe give some advice?

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: New Setup: HAP AC or HAP AC2, plus CAP AC

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:44 pm

Hap ac2 is good device and can handle lot of traffic/firewall rules etc.
But if you want high speed + more switch ports etc. why not go directly RB4011 with Wifi 4x4 on 5GHz.
If you are looking for SOHO/SMB kind of high speed/system extensions, the RB4011 will be very good option.

chbla
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:11 pm

Hap ac2 is good device and can handle lot of traffic/firewall rules etc.
But if you want high speed + more switch ports etc. why not go directly RB4011 with Wifi 4x4 on 5GHz.
If you are looking for SOHO/SMB kind of high speed/system extensions, the RB4011 will be very good option.
It's overkill for my needs, and much more expensive than both the HAP AC and AC2

chbla
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:55 am

So all in all, which would you prefer, the HAP AC or AC2 for a home (concrete house) scenario?

LSan83
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:34 am

So all in all, which would you prefer, the HAP AC or AC2 for a home (concrete house) scenario?
HAP AC2 (better cpu for CAPSMAN) plus some wired connected WAP AC.
I'm using HAP AC2 with three WAP AC (triple chain with outdoor case) in my house. CAPSMAN roaming works well for me. I have 10-15 device in wireless and 10-12 in gigabit ethernet.
With 4 access point every 2-3 walls (10 rooms in line on the same floor) I have full coverage in 2.4ghz and near full in 5ghz.
2.4ghz can go well through 2 walls/floors.
5ghz can go well through only 1 wall/floor.

Choose many AP with low power instead few AP with high power. A small device like tablet and smartphone can't send back the signal at the same power of the router.