MikroTik App

robshep952
just joined
Topic Author

Simple AP Bridge setup

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi,

I've just picked up a hAP mini.

I've looking for a profile that is just a basic AP, bridging all interfaces together so all stations are on the same network as the wired equipment elsewhere.

I only want the device to do Wifi and want both the routerboard and it's wireless stations to pick up DHCP from the wired network it is connected to.

I can't find a QuickSet profile to do this.

Any pointers.

Thanks

Rob

ilkogd

Re: Simple AP Bridge setup

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:35 pm

If you want to use Mikrotik Routerboard only as access point you should:
1. Reset the board with option No default configuration
2. Login with WinBox with MAC address
3. Create new bridge interface
4. Put in created bridge all of the Ethernet and wireless interfaces
5. Set IP address on bridge for management purposes, for example if your main router LAN IP is 192.168.1.1 for MikroTik use 192.168.1.10
6. Now you have Ethernet switch and access point. If you want to manage Routerboard from outside of your LAN, you need to create default route under IP->Routes with destination 0.0.0.0/0 and gateway LAN IP of your main router. In my example this will be 192.168.1.1 Of course you need to forward port(s) for remote management in your main router.
7. Of course configure wireless interface with desired SSID, password etc.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:33 pm

You can use Quickset mode:
use the "AP" quickset and on the right side, select to not use "Router" mode but "bridge".

robshep952
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:04 pm

Thank you for these responses.

I discounted ilkogd's response because I don't have a Windows PC to hand to install WinBox
- It also seemed like a lot of effort for what I anticipated to be the default out-of-the-box profile for an AP device.

Looking at WeWiNet's response I couldn't find a literal "AP" mode. There's Basic AP, HomeAP, WISP AP amongst other AP-type profiles.

I selected HomeAP but still had to fiddle with some settings in WebFig to get it working as required. (Bring iface1 into the bridge, get the DHCP client working on the bridge interface etc.

Bit of a faff, hoping for plug-n-play, but thanks anyway.

Rob

robshep952
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:52 pm

Unfortunately no success with this.

The WISP AP quick set profile suggests what I want (bridge, AP, device address DHCP from wired) but I have two significant problems.

1. I can't access the device. When it starts I can see it doing a DHCP lookup. but after this it doesn't respond to ARP requests for the IP it was allocated.

2. Categorically it is causing issues on my home network. With the hAP connected, on all devices I see other wireless stations (on another AP, but on same L2) getting degraded service.
Connections timing out, DNS lookups failing, streaming dropouts and lots of jitter. Pinging out of the network sees 18ms latency, then every second or so, either a packet loss or a ping reply at 1000ms+

As soon as I unplug the hAP, normal service resumes.

Despite these devices being flexible, I think it will be returned as not fit for use, unless someone has any bright ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:43 pm

What OS are you using, there is something about using wine? for linux to use winbox........
I have two APs, the default mode which I use to connect to my wired network is AP WISP. Works great!!
I just looked to verify and there is another mode which may be as good or better 'Home AP Dual'

hmarceau
just joined

Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:40 am

Hi.
I'm a new Mikrotik user. Like robshep952, I'm trying to make my hAP mini act as a bridge between an ethernet device that has no wireless card (a NAS) and my home wifi. I successfully connected to home wifi (Vimy) but, when I plug my computer in the Ethernet 1 port of the hAP mini and try to load Google, I get the message that no Internet is available, and to check my DNS.
Would one of you have a solution ? :-)
Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:02 pm

hmarceau,

You need to set your hAP up as a CPE. This cannot be completed from the Quick Set page. You should have Winbox.exe to complete your setup. If you can use Winbox then the following instructions should get you a wireless connection to your home network to any device plugged into an ethernet port on the hAP.

1. Go to System->Reset Configuration, tick "Do Not Backup" and "No Default Configuration" then click Reset Configuration
2. When the router has rebooted access the Quick Set page using the MAC address of the hAP
3. Under "Configuration" choose "Bridge"
4. Under Bridge set a static IP in your home wifi subnet along with the appropriate netmask, gateway and DNS. Select "Bridge All LAN Ports". Make sure it is not an IP that the home router would assign automatically.
5. Click "Apply Configuration"
6. Access the configuration pages using the MAC address
7. Go to "Interfaces->Interface" tab & enable wlan1
8. Go to Interfaces->Interface List" and change wlan1 to LAN
9. Go to System->Reboot and Reboot the router
10. Access the router and go to the Quick Set page
11. Click the Disconnect button in the bottom middle of the page and then select your home AP from the Scan List and connect.

hmarceau
just joined

Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:48 pm

w32pamela,

Thanks in advance for your patience! Several small things...
1. Go to System->Reset Configuration, tick "Do Not Backup" and "No Default Configuration" then click Reset Configuration
May I use the hold-reset on power technique instead? When I try your way, I can't connect to the hAP anymore...
2. When the router has rebooted access the Quick Set page using the MAC address of the hAP
Did you mean IP address?
4. Under Bridge set a static IP in your home wifi subnet along with the appropriate netmask, gateway and DNS. Select "Bridge All LAN Ports". Make sure it is not an IP that the home router would assign automatically.
How do I know which is the appropriate netmask, gateway and DNS ? My router IP is 192.168.1.1 and provides IP in the range of 192.168.1.xxx.
6. Access the configuration pages using the MAC address
How? In Winbox, I only see a promp for IP address.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:05 pm

You must use winbox to make the changes in the instructions. Read https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Winbox for information about winbox.
1.When you use the steps in the instructions you are taking all default configurations off the router. There will be no IP address. Winbox will show the ip as 0.0.0.0. You must use the MAC address shown by winbox to reconnect to the router. The instructions will not work if the router has the default configuration.
2. See above.
4. Your IP range will have a start and an end address. Your home router will assign IP's in this range. If your router is assigning IP's from 2 through 254 then modify the address pool to assign 10 through 254 and set your router to a static ip of 192.168.1.2, netmask of 255.255.255.0, Gateway=192.168.1.1 and DNS=192.168.1.1. If your home network is using some other Gateway and DNS then substitute those.
6. Winbox should find your hAP mini and display a line of information about the router in the lower half of the window. The first column has the MAC and the 2nd has the IP. Click on the MAC address and it will appear in the Connect To: box at the top of the window. Then click the "Connect" button. Your computer ethernet must be connected to one of the LAN ports on the hAP mini. Be sure to select the Neighbors tab then hit Refresh to see the information about your router.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:36 am

>Bit of a faff, hoping for plug-n-play, but thanks anyway.

You're buying the wrong devices if you need wizards and plug-n-play :-) RouterOS is a very powerful and therefore complex beast - more of a professional device sold at consumers prices.

Yes, I've had to document this process for when I have to do it next time.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:14 am

And in the spirit of sharing, here is my process for the hAP lite but it's pretty generic:

• Plug router into network and connect laptop to router
  • Run Winbox, find neighbours and connect to the router
  • System/Reset Configuration: Reset router without no default configuration
  • Reconnect to bridge
  • System/Password: change password
  • System/Identity: change name
  • Bridge/Bridge: Add new bridge (list should be empty)
  • Bridge/Ports: Add each ethernet & wireless interfaces. Note: you will be disconnected when you add the port used by the laptop
  • IP/DHCP client: add new DHCP client against bridge interface (or assign static IP)
  • Wireless/Security profiles: add a new profile:
    • Name: something memorable
    • Authentication: suggest just WPA2 PSK these days
    • WPA Pre-shared key: as required (the Wi-Fi password)
  • Wireless/Wi-Fi interfaces: Enable the wireless interface
  • Wireless/Wi-Fi interfaces: edit Wireless tab:
    • Switch to advanced
    • Mode: ap bridge
    • Band: 2GHz-B/G/N
    • Channel width: 20/40MHz Ce
    • Frequency: auto
    • SSID: as required
    • Wireless protocol: 802.11
    • Security profile as required

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:23 am

The configuration script:
# dec/04/2019 23:20:21 by RouterOS 6.42.11
# software id = V8LI-Q6E1
#
# model = RB941-2nD
# serial number = A1C50A2CBA7A
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" management-protection=\
    allowed mode=dynamic-keys name="helios medical" supplicant-identity="" \
    wpa2-pre-shared-key=WIFI-PASSWORD
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce \
    disabled=no frequency=auto mode=ap-bridge security-profile=\
    "helios medical" ssid="WIFI-NAME" wireless-protocol=802.11
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether3
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether4
/ip dhcp-client
add dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=bridge1
/system identity
set name=APxxx

brunob
just joined

Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:10 am

many thanks, worked perfectly!

Bruno

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:40 am

Glad we could help.

arisgoku
just joined

Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:51 am

And in the spirit of sharing, here is my process for the hAP lite but it's pretty generic:

• Plug router into network and connect laptop to router
  • Run Winbox, find neighbours and connect to the router
  • System/Reset Configuration: Reset router without no default configuration
  • Reconnect to bridge
  • System/Password: change password
  • System/Identity: change name
  • Bridge/Bridge: Add new bridge (list should be empty)
  • Bridge/Ports: Add each ethernet & wireless interfaces. Note: you will be disconnected when you add the port used by the laptop
  • IP/DHCP client: add new DHCP client against bridge interface (or assign static IP)
  • Wireless/Security profiles: add a new profile:
    • Name: something memorable
    • Authentication: suggest just WPA2 PSK these days
    • WPA Pre-shared key: as required (the Wi-Fi password)
  • Wireless/Wi-Fi interfaces: Enable the wireless interface
  • Wireless/Wi-Fi interfaces: edit Wireless tab:
    • Switch to advanced
    • Mode: ap bridge
    • Band: 2GHz-B/G/N
    • Channel width: 20/40MHz Ce
    • Frequency: auto
    • SSID: as required
    • Wireless protocol: 802.11
    • Security profile as required
Very helpful post. I am stuck on setting a static ip step can you elaborate on it?

arisgoku
just joined

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:20 pm

I have a post waiting for approoval so i am reposting. I need to set up my ac2 on a similar way. My isp modem is my dns and DHCP server and it runs on 192.168.10.254
How can i set up my ac2 on static 192.168.10.220 but let the modem handle the dhcp. They are connected with cable on eth1.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:14 pm

Not done much with Mikrotik recently (it kind of works once set-up) but I do have to do some experimentation over the next few days so will remind myself about the static IP.

arisgoku
just joined

Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:28 pm

So following this https://youtu.be/854KCTQrTXM I have managed to set a static ip outside the DHCP pool on my ac2. I went to ip->dhcp client and disabled it. Following i went to ip->address and set the ip i wanted and assigned it to eth1. Next to ip->routes to set the gateway and last on ip->dns to assign the dns. Now finally my access point has a static ip that i wanted but the devices connected to it get ip from the DHCP.

Kerlc75
just joined

Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:27 am

Hello,
I have start with basic configuration (quick set) with CPE on my Mikrotik CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD ( I only have 1 WiFi (2.4Gh)), but on this quickset I havent select desired WiFi and connect to it, while it was constantly freezing. So I just configure everything else but didn't connect to my main WiFi where I also have ISP's DHCP router.
I did it like :
1. Select CPE in "Quick Set"
- Configuration I select bridge (all lan ports)
- Bridge IP, I have set as 172.x.x.2 while 172.x.x.1 is my ISP's router
- Mask /24
- D-GW: My ISP router IP (172.x.x.1)
- DNS: My ISP's DNS

2. Save configuration

3. Went to Wireless
- Create new "Security Profile"
- assign this profile to "WiFi Interface"
- Scan WiFi networks and Connect to WiFi network

4. Remove DHCP Server and all DHCP Server Settings

5. Create DHCP Relay on "bridge1" interface (so every client in bridge1 can get DHCP IP address)

eboaz
just joined

Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:01 am

I'm very new and only scratching the surface but have tried this with multiple hAP series and also with the wAP. Too simple
I have hAP AC (DHCP Server - setup unimportant)
adding wAP AC (simple extender or bridge) - method works if you add another hAP AC, etc. used as extender also.

Sorry for repeating steps previously mentioned earlier in responses but "if it works"

Power up new (extender) wAP (in my case) and no need to touch DHCP router yet ...
connect via Winbox,
FIRST - reset configuration (extender) , with No Backup and with No Default Configuration selected (a must to clear unwanted default settings)
NEXT - create a bridge and add interfaces (select ALL for simplicity)
THEN - open DHCP Client under IP settings and ADD your new bridge. *be sure "ADD default route" is set to "yes"
LAST for this part - Reboot and connect a port to your (DHCP server) main router.

Connect Winbox to Main Router .... IP - DHCP Server - Leases and find your AP (hostname Mikrotik if you don't know IP)
Double-click lease entry for new Mikrotik .... Select "COPY" on the right side of Property Window ... choose your preferred IP Address (for me Gateway is 10.1.10.1 so I enter 10.1.10.2) and I CHECK the box for "use Source MAC address". click OK .... old entry should disappear on it's own. That is it on this device.

Reboot of new extender and it will grab your new assigned IP (if main router is setup correctly, nothing more needed)

below, is the entire configuration for the new AP (could probably remove Hotspot package to clean it up more, change system and supplicant identity, etc.
/interface bridge
add name=AP_bridge
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] ssid=MikroTik
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] ssid=MikroTik
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=flash/hotspot
/interface bridge port
add bridge=AP_bridge interface=all
/ip dhcp-client
add dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=AP_bridge
/system clock
set time-zone-name=America/New_York
[admin@MikroTik] > 
This is my first post, I think and unsure what this post will look like.
Always wanting knowledge ... would love feedback.

qatar2022
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:25 am

many thanks, worked perfectly for me as well

Manzaa
just joined

Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:26 pm

You can use Quickset mode:
use the "AP" quickset and on the right side, select to not use "Router" mode but "bridge".
You are the best, fast and easy solution!
Even registered to say thanks! :))