Community discussions

MikroTik App

vita
just joined
Topic Author

Multi-WAN single gateway

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:23 am

Hey guys,

Yesterday morning I received my first MikroTik device, by night I was ready to ship it back but come morning time I finally made progress. I skipped some stuff on the way to there though, first-steps stuff. I got most of it back in order except for two big areas; inbound NAT and WAN load balancing. I opted for the PCC config on MikroTik's wiki I keep getting roadblocks here and there. For instance, the example in the wiki assumes gateways are different, all my links are from the same ISP, the gateway is the same in my case. I've only skimmed through inbound NAT so far but I saw mention of static IP addresses on the inbound interfaces, I hope I misread something. One step at a time though; if you could offer any pointer on how to set up multi-WAN with different bandwidth interfaces and same gateway?

I got myself locked out so many times I'm a little uneasy about pushing my lock further. Thanks!

This is what my routing table looks like. They are PPPoE VDSL2 lines, I'm using the PPPoE interfaces for external interfaces, not their ethernet host interface.
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 9.57.10 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Multi-WAN single gateway

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Use Winbox and its safe mode. It will save you from the trouble of getting locked out.!!!!

vita
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Multi-WAN single gateway

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:44 pm

Thanks, but I managed to solve that. I was having all sorts of basic issues, like load balancing. In the end I used another router to do the job before handing over the connections to this one. I had yet another for DHCP and domain controllers for DNS and before domain controllers pfBlockerNG to pre-analyze DNS. Another for Captive Portal, another to take care of the wireless and inter-VLAN routing and firewalling in general 'cause the firewall rules are so unbelievable complicated in here for no practical reason and of course another for OpenVPN tunnels with high security because this is far from supporting it and my remote ISP is too inflexible to allow me connecting with lowered security... that when I realized, why do I need to put myself through all of this if this isn't doing anything worth having it in the network taking rack space. Anything. It was a security blanket for when and if another device broke down, and if, when that happens a USD20 thin client from eBay with OPNsense/pfSense + domain controllers can do the job without driving me insane setting it up, plus, it doesn't even have to take space or resources in some fixed place if it's virtualized, like I just did. Just now, I'm printing the return shipping for this thing.

Thanks for your help, though.