Community discussions

MikroTik App

MadMarvin
just joined
Topic Author

Basic VLAN setup

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:41 pm

Hello together,

I want to use my CRS226-24G and VLANs, but I have a general question and hope you can help.

In the VLAN-guides there are always a minimum of 2 devices displayed, a switch and a router, but as my CRS has already 24 ports I want to know if it's possible to use a single device like the CRS226 for routing and switching the VLANs without having a second switch/router?

Is this possible? If yes, how would you start configuring the CRS?

TIA and Regards

Martin

Network setup should look like this:
VLAN 100 - Media devices (TVs...)
VLAN 200 - Home devices (home automation, Home devices with internet / app access)
VLAN 300 - Computers
VLAN 400 - Servers or similar which should be accessed through different VLANs
VLAN 99 - management VLAN

There should be tagged and untagged Ports and also a Trunk to my Access-Point which can handle VLANs (to divide wireless devices), Access to internet itself is provided using a "Fritzbox" via Ethernet on eth1.
The goal is to divide the different devices and set up rules and a Firewall to block access from one VLAN to another.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Basic VLAN setup

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi

It's possible, but not recommended. The cpu of CRS226 is not fast enough for routing duties.

MadMarvin
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Basic VLAN setup

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:25 am

Ok, thats not what I wanted to hear, but OK ;)

So best would be to buy a explicit router like a hex S or, if I would like to not be limited to 1Gbit/s a RB4011 as this device and mine CRS226 have both a SFP+ I can create a 10Gbit-Uplink between both of them.